Is hook size related to number of hook pulls?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What do you reckon to this... was chatting to quite a seasoned commercial angler the other day and we both agreed you can catch big carp on small hooks.

Unless I'm fishing something big that requires a big hook like meat, I often use size 16 hooks on commercials even when double figure fish are common and I've found that when I do step up to a 12 or 14 that the number of fish I pull out of increases. Is there any logic to this or am I imagining it? I like small hooks anyway as I often see people getting carried away with 12+ hooks (a lot of fisheries have bans for over 12s anyway) just because there's a chance of a double.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The biggest I use on the feeder is a size 14 on waters I've not fished before (but usually a 16). I use 18's or 16's on the waggler and have landed double's on both. As for the hook itself, I only use Kamasan B911's and hook pulls are very minimal. Maybe the hook pattern causing you the hook pulls?

Paul22

What do you reckon to this... was chatting to quite a seasoned commercial angler the other day and we both agreed you can catch big carp on small hooks.

Unless I'm fishing something big that requires a big hook like meat, I often use size 16 hooks on commercials even when double figure fish are common and I've found that when I do step up to a 12 or 14 that the number of fish I pull out of increases. Is there any logic to this or am I imagining it? I like small hooks anyway as I often see people getting carried away with 12+ hooks (a lot of fisheries have bans for over 12s anyway) just because there's a chance of a double.
Can of worms time !
I mainly use size 16 kamasan hooks but this size does suit the bait I use ........ 6mm pellets hard and soft plus sweet corn....... if I’m paste fishing size 12 is the one I most commonly opt for.....
I know one or two lads that prefer small hooks size 18 and 20 but I think you loose some versatility with which baits you can use.
If I use size 18 it will be with lighter hook lengths and baits like single maggots 4mm pellets that sort of bait......
In his videos Andy Findlay discusses the use of small hooks and reckons small hooks are the way to go so it’s what works best for you.
This year I’ve only used size 12 & 16 on all my carp fishing and I’m pretty happy with how my fishing is going so far ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
B911/x or Animals have been my go to. I like the strength and slight curve to the Animals although I've been meanng to try others, Guru and Preston.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If I use size 18 it will be with lighter hook lengths and baits like single maggots 4mm pellets that sort of bait......

I use 18's when using bunched pinkie or when using casters. You are right though, the smaller the hook the less versatile it is bait wise.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
When I'm big tenching with whole lobs popped up I use 4's and 6's , whole single caster it could be a 20.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I suppose with bigger hooks there's a wider gape for the hook to move around more which could lead to more hook pulls. I'm pretty much the same as ukzero1 in that on the float I use mostly 18s and occasionally 16s then on the feeder I mostly use 16s and occasionally 14s. I only really use 12s occasionally when surface fishing. Brand wise I mostly use drennan, kamasan (same thing really) and occasionally maver.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I don't possess 4's or 6's. The largest hook I use is an 8. Even on Bream or Tench sessions the size I use is 10 or 12. We have hook size restraints round here and even on the clubs waters the maximum size allowed is a size 10.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don't think I have any bigger than 10s. Getting into sea hook territory much bigger than that ;)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I don't possess 4's or 6's. The largest hook I use is an 8. Even on Bream or Tench sessions the size I use is 10 or 12. We have hook size restraints round here and even on the clubs waters the maximum size allowed is a size 10.
The waters I'm fishing it's 3 rods 50hr sessions and hoping for 1 take, 8lb + tinca.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The waters I'm fishing it's 3 rods 50hr sessions and hoping for 1 take, 8lb + tinca.

I wish I could join you on one of those sessions.
I've had Tench that size on size 10 Kamasan Animals, having said that, I was fishing for Bream at the time. :confused:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well on the river I was fishing I had a problem with Chub biting through the line, but that's a different thing really to do with hooklength.

It's surprising how much hook size varies between types and brands, mainly to do with the wide gape that can push it up a size. It's not just commies I've been noticing this. On the river I was using 12 s and could fit 2 dendras on there no problem but definitely pulled out of more fish. Whereas one of my favourite baits is always a bunch of maggots, can fit 6 easily on a size 16 hook and have found combined with a 7lb, yes 7lb, hooklength I haven't lost a chub since.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Well on the river I was fishing I had a problem with Chub biting through the line, but that's a different thing really to do with hooklength.

It's surprising how much hook size varies between types and brands, mainly to do with the wide gape that can push it up a size. It's not just commies I've been noticing this. On the river I was using 12 s and could fit 2 dendras on there no problem but definitely pulled out of more fish. Whereas one of my favourite baits is always a bunch of maggots, can fit 6 easily on a size 16 hook and have found combined with a 7lb, yes 7lb, hooklength I haven't lost a chub since.

There is a possibility of the fish not taking the hook. By that I mean they've just took the worm in the mouth and were chomping on them leaving the hook when you strike. It feels like a hook pull because the worms are still in the fish's mouth and they've clamped on to them.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The only decent Tench lake I know near me is club only and the membership list is basically a 10 year waiting list!

Our waters are members only too. No waiting list at all and we have over 350 members.