Is fishing a dangerous sport?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Oddly enough, we don't get those round here.

But if you think that's gory, take a look at these...Dangerous? No, it's all about minimising the risk.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s nasty, seen it a few times with billfish. Theoretically doable with a garfish here though ukzero haha

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Very dangerous, ya should see the look I get from the missus every time I go fishing or buy more tackle. :oops:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Eeek! Haven't used barbed or treble hooks for a long time and wear specs anyway (one set at a time)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Headlines in the UK

"Angling Pensioner stabbed by hoodie wearing yob who jumped out the bushes"

Police have 3000 leads:(

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I think that fishing is dangerous, (just look at the poor bugger who was pulled dead out of the water a couple of weeks ago), he wasn't the first and unfortunately he won't be the last. I have tripped and fell in the riverIjsell in Holland with my wellies on and was lucky to get out alive! It's all about trying to stack the odds in your favour, (IMHO), IE: I have read that some anglers tie themselves to trees on the riverbank, to stay safe. I haven't even mentioned all those (normally overweight), anglers that have had a heart attack, lugging their mountain of kit, to their river peg somewhere on the horizon. Botttom line try to stay safe and never rush and may all the anglers who have perished while persuing their sport R.I.P!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
You left out the bit about carbon rods and lightning attractors. I know, it's a shocking tale. I had my first MI 20 years ago and that (and for additional reasons) is why I don't lug my gear around. I'm not in a mobility scooter just yet, but I use a trolley for swims, where I can drive to within feet of where I want to set up, or hard stands where I can unload directly to a disabled swim. I do miss my strolls up and down river banks for miles, and being able to go to any swim at a venue

My MIs were not fishing related. I find my sessions totally relaxing these days

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Cobweb, you're right mate, I once knew a career soldier fit as a fiddle, just picked up a commision to become an Officer and his future looked bright! Then he got a brand new pole and went to the river to try it. Unfortunately he was near overhead power cables and when he missed a bite, he flicked his rig overhand back towards the river and got electrocuted! What shocked us was that it wasn't his pole, or his line that touched the overhead wires, the electricity arched onto his line and that was him dead! R.I.P Tony!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Cobweb, you're right mate, I once knew a career soldier fit as a fiddle, just picked up a commision to become an Officer and his future looked bright! Then he got a brand new pole and went to the river to try it. Unfortunately he was near overhead power cables and when he missed a bite, he flicked his rig overhand back towards the river and got electrocuted! What shocked us was that it wasn't his pole, or his line that touched the overhead wires, the electricity arched onto his line and that was him dead! R.I.P Tony!
Wow! Came close like that myself once using a 12ft carp rod to cast about 100 yards on a lake that was bisected by that very thing. As I cast I slipped and the weight went up and over. Fortunately I had dropped the rod but I could see my terminal tackle dangling about 15 feet above the water with the line over the power cables. Good job I was wearing brown camouflage trousers!

squimp

Site Supporter
I know 6 people who have drowned in fishing related accidents.

my best mate fell into the Bristol Avon one night and it was only his intimate knowledge of the river bed that allowed him to stay calm whilst underwater and work out how to get himself out. Nearly number 7.......

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don’t recall any injuries myself apart from the typical stabs from spikes fish which have occasionally drown blood but nothing worth worrying about.

My grandad did end up with half his hand in the mouth of a black tip shark once, luckily a 10 pounder rather than a 100 pounder so no lasting harm done but there was a lot of blood. Still to this day don’t know how he managed it.