Is feeder more effective in Summer or Winter?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I see no difference using a feeder in either commercial or natural waters no matter the season. A case can be made for using a smaller feeder in winter, or better still, a bomb, or olivette will net some nice lumps in winter as a tactic. The only Issue I've found is how far you have to chuck the thing. Many people will prefer a float rod on a river unless conditions dictate otherwise, but as I rarely fish rivers these days it's not a consideration for me. Snake lakes are tho'

As regards commercials, I have found on occasion that a commercial p/w will produce larger bags than a method at a similar distance (depth dependent)

Silver fan 82

Good question! I wonder this too!

In winter my reason for using a cage feeder is that I can use lowish feed content groundbait with a few pinkies and micropellets mixed in, and a few maggots plugged in with maggot on the hook. I have had worse results when using 4mm pellets than micros in winter although I suppose I could use neat micros on a different kind of feeder I feel it might be too much bait so haven't tried it yet.
Personally in winter I tend to use either just groundbait or maggot feeder. Low feed content.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Fishing at Stourport the other day I started on the float and had a few fish then chucked a feeder out which I thought would be effective but didn't seem to get as many bites, definitely seems like a float venue and can see why on those sort of rivers people would generally prefer to float fish them, dependant on variables of course.

Do you prefer a different type of feeder for different times of year? I feel like I'm a bit out of fashion using a cage feeder!

Also, would you chuck to open water or prefer chucking to an island/far bank?

You need to carry a variety and see what the fish want on the day. On commercials I must admit I see little point in using a traditional cage feeder. Your target fish are predominantly carp and the Method type feeders (Method, Banjo, Hybrid, Pellet) have been developed specifically to take advantage of the aggressive feeding of these fish. I have known days when a change of feeder type has meant the difference between picking up an envelope and not. That means there may be days the cage feeder would be best.

A change of hookbait can have a similar effect.

As for edge or open water it really depends on the swim. If there is a far bank then I would be stupid not to try it as I know it can be a fish holding area. But similarly the feeder can be very effective in open water though you would normally have to be accurate in your casting so as to build up a "killing zone". I have known days when it pays to drop a couple of yards short of the far bank. One lake in particular I worked out that the bigger fish were in the deeper water. Casting accurately to the far bank on one match brought fish that were 2-3lb smaller than my neighbour who was dropping short. On the next match I dropped short and won.

A change in feeder size can also have an effect. Though I will normally carry on with a standard pellet feeder in Winter there are some days the fish are put off by too much bait and a smaller feeder will bring more/quicker bites.

The top feeder anglers carry as many different feeders as a good pole angler has rigs.

Zerkalo

I tend to drop short of the island at Bells Mill although I have been told by people including the owner I should be casting closer to the island. "You won't catch as much chucking there" or similar. It's something I have wondered about before, preferring to pick the deeper pegs in Winter or at least chucking down the shelf short of the island. Although that goes against the common logic that shallower water will warm up quicker. At Furnace Mill I fish Willow Pool and fish the peg next to the Danger: Deep Water sign. :unsure:

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
For me the feeder is for shallow water in the summer, where you can get it to features such as reeds or islands. Especially for Carp that like to be up in the water on hot days. I'd only use it deeper where theres a good head of tench and plenty of weed / lily pads.

Only fish a feeder on the bottom in summer in open water if the place is full of skimmers/bream.

Winter it's bomb and bread or a tiny hybrid or pellet feeder.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Preston's do a feeder bag which I bought because (a) my seatbox tray was full up with mostly methods and hybrids, and (b) I had too many in a drawer in the garage which needed to be used. The bag is now full, I'm catching more fish, but I'm still buying feeders- HELP!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
On some lakes of phase one of Makins it is said that unless you get within six inches of the bank you will not get a bite.

Zerkalo

For me the feeder is for shallow water in the summer, where you can get it to features such as reeds or islands. Especially for Carp that like to be up in the water on hot days. I'd only use it deeper where theres a good head of tench and plenty of weed / lily pads.

Only fish a feeder on the bottom in summer in open water if the place is full of skimmers/bream.

Winter it's bomb and bread or a tiny hybrid or pellet feeder.

Even a Barston? Or are there features to chuck to there?

Pretty much my thoughts that in Summer I'm going to do less well chucking to the open deeper water when a lot of fish will be in the margins at the places I fish.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Even a Barston? Or are there features to chuck to there?

Pretty much my thoughts that in Summer I'm going to do less well chucking to the open deeper water when a lot of fish will be in the margins at the places I fish.

Peg 3 or 4 I think? Is in a narrow little cove and can chuck to some reeds, most of the lake though open water in front of you, there is an island in the middle but most people don't really chuck to that.

Only 4ft deep for the most part but method wasn't producing much in open water when I went, some decent skimmers and a few F1s. I think pegs 40-60 are a lot deeper towards the bottom corner under the power lines, 18ft I think.

No one aas really catching much when I went, has been busy though through covid i imagine a lot of angling pressure and loads of bait has gone in.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I fish feeder most of the time and all year round. You don’t need to fish to islands and far banks all the time either. You just have to find where the fish are. Sometimes they are in the middle in the deepest water or just off the ledge 3m out. I’ve had most of my success very close, down the margins. In summer you can often see loads of carp just round where your sitting on commercials. The only things I change in winter are using a smaller feeder and casting less often.

Furnace Mill is a great feeder venue. Just because it attracts a lot of pole anglers doesn’t mean a lot. Down the margins at furnace are great for the feeder.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Summer. Throw a feeder into our commercials in winter and it’s the kiss of death. Winter is bomb and corn or popped up 8mm bread discs.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
A lot of commercials are very silty now, it’s foul stuff and the fish don’t want to be down amongst it, I’m pretty sure that’s why the feeder isn’t as effective as the pole/waggler on many of them. Two reasons why it works against islands- the fish want to be in shallow water and the bottom is hard.

rudd

Site Supporter
Fished feeder last week for a day and had 40lb ish of skimmers with a few Roach chucked in.
On Friday fished same venue with slider float and had 40lb ish of Roach with a few skimmers, a decent bream, a 2.5lb Perch and a Tench of around 5lb.
Would use either method any time of year, peg and weather woukd dictate which one.

davej1981

My pole is 12.5m with an extension to 14, it fishes best a section short of 12.5 so normally anything over that id chuck a feeder or bomb summer or winter, i wont give myself back ache to fish long and cant afford to buy something more useable long

nejohn

Site Supporter
My pole is 12.5m with an extension to 14, it fishes best a section short of 12.5 so normally anything over that id chuck a feeder or bomb summer or winter, i wont give myself back ache to fish long and cant afford to buy something more useable long
Ever thought of using a waggler?

Zerkalo

Silty bottom is why I don't use a feeder at another venue near me, Kings Nordley, that and a low stocking density that means I'm just looking for a few lumps down the edge usually. Pleasure fishing Furnace Mill in winter my target is usually 30 odd fish for 70lb and Bells Mill 30 for 30lb and I'm a happy bunny though I have caught more at both on good days. Would probably be looking at a bit more if I was to float fish it as well but comfort dictates.