Is feeder more effective in Summer or Winter?

Zerkalo

On commercials, is feeder fishing more of a summer or winter tactic or both?

Personally, I prefer fishing commercials in winter on a cage feeder but it doesn’t seem like a popular method, indeed the places I fish are not typical feeder venues. If I was going to fish them in summer I’d be more inclined to float fish them. Having said that, even in winter I think I’d catch more on the pole, it’s just I like feeder fishing and can sit with my hands in my pockets when it’s cold.

Reason I ask is I've just bought a new Guru feeder rod and itching to try it out. The venue I'd most use it on where you can chuck to and island is booking only at the moment which stops me going on a whim.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never chucked a feeder on a commercial as never been on one where I felt it necessary so can’t really comment but on rivers the time of year doesn’t really make any difference it’s more just down to conditions and the different swims. Would have thought it would be the same on any water, some swims and some conditions better for feeder others better for float.

Zerkalo

Never chucked a feeder on a commercial as never been on one where I felt it necessary so can’t really comment but on rivers the time of year doesn’t really make any difference it’s more just down to conditions and the different swims. Would have thought it would be the same on any water, some swims and some conditions better for feeder others better for float.

Fishing at Stourport the other day I started on the float and had a few fish then chucked a feeder out which I thought would be effective but didn't seem to get as many bites, definitely seems like a float venue and can see why on those sort of rivers people would generally prefer to float fish them, dependant on variables of course.

Do you prefer a different type of feeder for different times of year? I feel like I'm a bit out of fashion using a cage feeder!

Also, would you chuck to open water or prefer chucking to an island/far bank?

Silver fan 82

Both mate. If it were me I would cast to the island or other features but open water is always worth a go especially if you have Bream present. You could always feed two lines, one feature and one open water and rotate lines. Cage feeder is always worth trying.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think feeder is just as effective in summer as in winter on most commercials, not a method I particularly enjoy using so try to avoid it if I can, example on a club water on Friday all around were using feeder and catching fish, I was using the waggler and sctraching for bits for the 1st hour or so but once I attracted them into the near bank lilies then I was probably catching quicker. End of the day we all caught about the same it is often just a case of choosing a method and working out what is best for you. If you are not fishing competitively then fish how you get most enjoyment after all that is why we all fish

Zerkalo

Both mate. If it were me I would cast to the island or other features but open water is always worth a go especially if you have Bream present. You could always feed two lines, one feature and one open water and rotate lines. Cage feeder is always worth trying.

Now I just need venues with a feature to cast too!

Although I could try just casting to open water as I do in Winter. I'm not sure my tactics are the right way round and the most effective way of fishing but it seems to get me a good few fish. Often fishing small lakes that it's only a 15m chuck to the middle of the lake.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The only time I’d use a feeder in the winter on the venues I fish, is if it was too windy to fish a pole or waggler...I do fish bomb and bread quite a lot in the winter though....For me feeder is for summer

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not a seasonal thing at all IMO. Just a question is the right approach to the peg you draw on the day in a match context. Can be deadly at times fished on the pole line.

Silver fan 82

The only time I’d use a feeder in the winter on the venues I fish, is if it was too windy to fish a pole or waggler...I do fish bomb and bread quite a lot in the winter though....For me feeder is for summer
Why not in winter mate? Is it a case of not feeding them too much in winter?

Zerkalo

Why not in winter mate? Is it a case of not feeding them too much in winter?

Good question! I wonder this too!

In winter my reason for using a cage feeder is that I can use lowish feed content groundbait with a few pinkies and micropellets mixed in, and a few maggots plugged in with maggot on the hook. I have had worse results when using 4mm pellets than micros in winter although I suppose I could use neat micros on a different kind of feeder I feel it might be too much bait so haven't tried it yet.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
In winter they want a piece of popped up bread, most of the time, no feed,admittedly places like Boddington etc respond to the feeder, but they’re bigger waters

Zerkalo

My reason for not having tried bread yet, although sounds deadly on the right water, is that pleasure fishing with maggots where I do, Bells Mill and Furnace Mill (not typical feeder venues) I get more of a mixed bag with Perch, Roach, and Bream. Feel like the groundbait in a cage feeder makes a nice cloud in clearer water.

MrTencherson

My local commie responds to feeder all year round. @Zerkalo what kind of fish are you tageting? For Carp I find the feeder often outperforms the float (but that might be because I lack skill at float fishing and don't want to use a pole which would give better presentation of course).

Don't forget there are often many features under the water, find one of these using feeder tactics and you'll be onto a winner.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Fishing at Stourport the other day I started on the float and had a few fish then chucked a feeder out which I thought would be effective but didn't seem to get as many bites, definitely seems like a float venue and can see why on those sort of rivers people would generally prefer to float fish them, dependant on variables of course.

Hard one to explain but generally I find the float will almost always out produce the feeder on steady, not too deep and not too far out glides on rivers. Feeder comes into it when depth, increased pace or range makes float fishing awkward. As for Stillwaters on your average sized (eg not that big or deep) lake I just can’t see much point in not going for the float as just feel it presents a bait better for a short Chuck into relatively shallow water. I’ve only fished the feeder once on a Stillwater and that’s because I had to Chuck 50 yards into 20ft of water. I can see the point of it on smaller shallower waters for casting tight to features though I just don’t do that much myself.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
My reason for not having tried bread yet, although sounds deadly on the right water, is that pleasure fishing with maggots where I do, Bells Mill and Furnace Mill (not typical feeder venues) I get more of a mixed bag with Perch, Roach, and Bream. Feel like the groundbait in a cage feeder makes a nice cloud in clearer water.
It’s not wrong to use a feeder, I just cant see the point where I fish. Winter time I spend a lot of time dobbing bread on the pole upto 17.5 m for F1,s and carp , or fishing maggots on the pole short, later in the match.

Zerkalo

I think if I fished a match and pulled out a feeder at these places, especially at Furnace Mill, people would look at me like I was mad. Definitely a pole venue on most pegs. :ROFLMAO: (y) Less so at Bells Mill where you can catch chucking to the island.

MrTencherson

I think if I fished a match and pulled out a feeder at these places, especially at Furnace Mill, people would look at me like I was mad. Definitely a pole venue on most pegs. :ROFLMAO: (y) Less so at Bells Mill where you can catch chucking to the island.

Well you've hit the nail on the head there. The method can be venue dependent. My local commie has a 30 to 40m chuck to get to the fish (for the first half of the day) and it's up to 22 feet deep in places. So if you wanna present a pile of bait on the bottom that's a bit tricky to do with a float.

Go out, enjoy your new rod - you don't have to wait for winter (we may be in lockdown again by then anyways). Have you considered other feeder types? Method feeders, Pellet feeders, Hybrids all do well in the summer.

Zerkalo

Yeah if I fished Bells Mill I'd definitely be looking to ditch the cage feeder in summer, it's just a case of me having to book on to there which I might do later this week if I can see what jobs are coming in.