Is canal fishing free?

SUFC

Are the stretches of canal that are not under the control of angling societies free to fish?
Anyone know?

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
I got same permit for sheffield canal not been asked yet for it but only fished it about 6 times so far

DFL

Site Supporter
Free fishing on plenty of river stretches Neil,unless you’re referring to having an EA licence.

Nicky Dodds

I'm sure the wanderers permit applies to non-controlled stretches of river too. I also think that angling trust members get a discount off that £22.

DFL

Site Supporter
Not according to the CRT, read the quote from their website in my first post.

well, not something I ever knew Neil, thanks for bringing it to my attention. It would be interesting to know if there has ever been a successful prosecution for not having such a permit.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Wow, I was under the impression that any unadopted water was fair game, trespass aside. Trips to my local tidal Don are now going to set me back £22/year, unless I risk it and carry on as I have done for the last few years.🤔

Chervil

Site Supporter
Wow, I was under the impression that any unadopted water was fair game, trespass aside. Trips to my local tidal Don are now going to set me back £22/year, unless I risk it and carry on as I have done for the last few years.🤔
If it's fully tidal, you are okay. Not sure what 'fully tidal' actually means though.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
It has about a 3 foot range and sometimes has a seal in it. So I think I may be okay.👍