Is buying fishing equipment addictive

toweliechaos

I feel like I'm comfortable for rods and reels etc. but I must confess to finding terminal tackle akin to crack i.e. a bit moreish.

There's something quite child-like in those little packets that bits like swivels etc. come in and I'm sure that plays a part in the attraction, being reminiscent of those first purchases with your own money.

I also think it acts a bit like methodone in that it keeps me away from the hard stuff!

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I feel like I'm comfortable for rods and reels etc. but I must confess to finding terminal tackle akin to crack i.e. a bit moreish.

There's something quite child-like in those little packets that bits like swivels etc. come in and I'm sure that plays a part in the attraction, being reminiscent of those first purchases with your own money.

I also think it acts a bit like methodone in that it keeps me away from the hard stuff!
Have you not got a float addiction as well, don't get me wrong snap swivels float stops quick-change beads/swivels are fine for the amateur but if your your going to progress floats are undoubtedly where its at, just saying like 👍

MrBen

Site Supporter
Have you not got a float addiction as well, don't get me wrong snap swivels float stops quick-change beads/swivels are fine for the amateur but if your your going to progress floats are undoubtedly where its at, just saying like 👍
Floats are just the stepping stone for the real hardcore fix collectible hard fishing lures, I keep a document in my Google docs, it lists the ones I’ve got, so when faced with a good selection I know what I’ve got and not got. Currently looking at doing some boat based reservoir lure fishing this autumn, so now need deep running versions, it’s terrible this thing called fishing, I would be financially richer if I didn’t but so much poorer in experiences of wildlife without it.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@MrBen thankfully I've not been " bitten " by the predator side of our great sport, I'm nsorry to say any fish with teeth capable of bitting and causing injury can stay in the water, especially the ones that live in salt water !

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I went through that and I still have my old float box which was bought as a present for me back in 1990. When I started feeder fishing, I managed to get rid of loads of stick floats, wire stems and otherwise, avons, wagglers, and assorted canal floats and crystals. But loads of the blighters seem to have slipped back into my tackle set ups without me even remembering buying them! I need more help than I first thought:eek:

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Cobweb I can help, I'll send you a self addressed container you can put all unwanted floats in and send them to me. I would take care of them for you, it would give you more room for feeder 🤣. Ps I don't charge for this service, it's free I'll even pay postage both ways 😉.

pies

Site Supporter
I have just bid 2500 for a sphere, bloody madness but I hope I win it🙏
If thats the one from hull angling, sorry 😊

Is it addictive id say possibly. My excuse is im stocking up for when I retire in a couple of years. I wont need to buy anything but hooks line etc

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
@Cobweb I can help, I'll send you a self addressed container you can put all unwanted floats in and send them to me. I would take care of them for you, it would give you more room for feeder 🤣. Ps I don't charge for this service, it's free I'll even pay postage both ways 😉.
Thinking about floats takes my mind off my more acute feeder obsession, but I appreciate the offer:cool:

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Cobweb I used to offer the same service for feeders but all that lead cost a fortune to move about so I limit my storage facility to floats I'll accept certain rods aswell. But your post made me chuckle.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Not addicted.

I like having nice gear but i haven't bought anything fishing related since last October maybe, pretty much have everything i need.

Next purchase will be another keepnet for the Burton Joyce match on the Trent but that's a necessity as per the clubs rules.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I'm bad for constantly looking at/rooting around on the net for secondhand tackle, often doing it up and then either keeping it or selling it on...there's some great stuff out there

spooky1966

Site Supporter
If thats the one from hull angling, sorry 😊

Is it addictive id say possibly. My excuse is im stocking up for when I retire in a couple of years. I wont need to buy anything but hooks line etc
Was that you 🤔