Is buying fishing equipment addictive

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The last new actual tackle I bought was a couple of years back. I bought 2 Shimano Sahara reels, and after 2 years I've only used 1 of them. The other has not seen daylight and is still in it's box. That's what made me decide that enough is enough, I have all I need (and a bit more besides) so my money stays in my pocket when it comes to new tackle. If I don't need it by now, I never will and I don't buy it just because it's the 'latest 'in' thing'. I have got my gear sorted and separated into 3 main categories, River, Carp and Stillwater, I can just grab and go knowing I have what I need when I need it. Besides, I'm a tight git poor pensioner.
Poor pensioner!🤔 with all of your money saving ideas you must have sores on your hips from the weight of your pockets🥰🥰🥰

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Do you groundbait with grenades?:oops:
I'm told they're no different to a pellet feeder but having never tried them, they look like a good design to me so I'm curious. I want something for Trimpley and having never fished it... not a clue what I'm doing... but speaking to a chap in the tackle shop, he told me his mates are annoying everyone at the club by winning all the matches... so got to be a knack or two to it... and I have some practising and research to do.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I'm done buying, as these arrived today ( by arrived I mean I popped out and bought them )
20220402_120208.jpg

And that updates all float rods and feeder rods to decent reels, I'm just deciding if I need a power float rod and a soft canal wagler rod.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
'Is buying fishing kit addictive ?'

Yes it is, that's my excuse from now on and I sticking to it. I didn't buy it, it's not my fault I have an addiction. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I am about there as far as major kit items go for my needs. Yes I could look at upgrading my Korum Barbel rods, but as they work just fine for me, then there is no real urge to update them. The only possible exception being a shorter float riod, although as I haven't come across a situation where I need one it's not something on my mind. Other than that I can only see some camping kit; stove, cookware etc being bought.

As for minor kit ah well that's a whole different addiction. :ROFLMAO:
Ooops :oops: Spoke to soon, not bought any major items this year.........yet,............. well when I say bought I have secured two items that fingers x'd and a good tailwind will be mine shortly. To be fair they are OOD Objects Of Desire that are not that common anymore.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
When I retired, I told my wife that I was going to seek out and buy tatty but good vintage rods and reels, with the intention of restoring or servicing them, then selling them.
Five years on, it all going to plan.
All apart from the 'selling' bit.
:oops:

MrBen

Site Supporter
I'm done buying, as these arrived today ( by arrived I mean I popped out and bought them )
20220402_120208.jpg

And that updates all float rods and feeder rods to decent reels, I'm just deciding if I need a power float rod and a soft canal wagler rod.
It’s not whether you need one, it’s which one are you purchasing 😉

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Yes it seems to be. Just like @Jimpanzee, I've also just bought a Preston Magnitude 320 reel to go with my newly bought Garbolino power waggler rod which I haven't used yet! Still it's a lot cheaper than smoking which I gave up in 1995. The missus spends over £3 grand a year on that

Tristar

I woke up the other day with a banging head (dirty glass and a dodgy prawn in the curry) and checked my e-mails to see that I've won the bid on a 42 inch landing net head and unhooking mat on Ebay. I did a few checks to check it's not a scam and indeed I did bid on it and won. I've no idea why I bidded, I was actually looking for a Toyota 7 seater.

adriang

Site Supporter
I'm a sucker for sales, so if something comes up that I'm thinking about and its a good price, I'll often jump. Especially if its early in the (pay) month.

3rd April - this month I bought the ventalite slimline tray I've been thinking about (eBay 10% and Topcashback), and then TackleUK had their 20th birthday sale yesterday. Acolyte whip and some DH stickfloats.

Only 'needed' 1 stickfloat to replace the one I lost on my last session of the season.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
When I decide that I want to buy a reel, I always delay the purchase by three days.

On the first day, I ask myself "Do you really need this reel?"
On the second day: :Do you really really need this reel?"
On the third day: "Do you really really NEED this reel?"

So far, the answer's been "Yes".
:whistle:

TiggerXFM

If I like an item of fishing tackle, as an example, a particular rod, I often try to get another one just incase the makers cease production of it, or incase I have an accident with it. So because of that I have a few doubles, or even trebles of an item.....just incase 🤓.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I woke up the other day with a banging head (dirty glass and a dodgy prawn in the curry) and checked my e-mails to see that I've won the bid on a 42 inch landing net head and unhooking mat on Ebay. I did a few checks to check it's not a scam and indeed I did bid on it and won. I've no idea why I bidded, I was actually looking for a Toyota 7 seater.
You’ll need something bigger than a 7 seater, if you don’t stop buying fishing gear.🤣😉

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I'm a sucker for sales, so if something comes up that I'm thinking about and its a good price, I'll often jump. Especially if its early in the (pay) month.

3rd April - this month I bought the ventalite slimline tray I've been thinking about (eBay 10% and Topcashback), and then TackleUK had their 20th birthday sale yesterday. Acolyte whip and some DH stickfloats.

Only 'needed' 1 stickfloat to replace the one I lost on my last session of the season.
What length acolyte did you get Adrian ?

ravey

As a kid who started fishing in the late 1970s, I found myself ‘starved’ of decent gear. After a break of several years, and earning a decent salary, I went a bit crazy when I discovered eBay. That is my excuse, anyway…😆

FadingLikeDecay

For me I wouldn't say it is, I'm more at the stage of buying what I need so that I have the bare minimum to begin with.
A cheap reel last week, Drennan Feederpult a day or so ago and a Korum Opportunist Telescopic Handle last night, for a really good price.
All I realistically need now is a landing net head & bag and a light weight chair.