Is buying fishing equipment addictive

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I must commend this service. I got shot of 60 tiny pole floats through this service and after the floats had gone looked through my remaining stock and couldn't tell that any were missing! (to be honest he did pay me a small fee for said floats).

My fishing G.A.S is getting cured; I've sold two match rods recently and probably need to sell some more. My stepdaughter visited yesterday and she's going to sort out the massive box of LPs from the loft that have been gathering dust for too long. Still got loads of fishing books (especially carp, barbel and pike ones) that could do with selling.

My video G.A.S is taking over from my fishing one.....
Video G.A.S - VHS or Betamax?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The more recent version of this is the phone inquiry "have you got any (insert any tackle item that has been in short supply)
Yes we have a couple of those left until they come back in stock at (insert brand)
Phone caller ....what time do you shut I will be there as soon as I can, I have phoned all over trying to get one of them,dont sell it on me :p
The delight in their voice confirms that we are close to being drug dealers providing their tackle fix.

TiggerXFM

I'm pretty much there with my fishing gear, although there is always something that pops up to tempt you.

There is deffo one rod I still want!

I'm on the lookout for an unused or as near to new hardy marksman speciialist 11ft 6inch specimen avon smuggler rod, so if anyone has one they don't want, i'm interested 👍.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
You’re very brave totting it up and putting it into print. 🤣🤣.

I know it’s only a bit of fun this thread but, does any of us care what it costs ? If you can afford it and your kids aren’t going hungry then enjoy life while you can. Buy more gear. Just wait until your missus is in bed before fetching it in from the car. 🤣🤣🤣
Or get it sent to your place of work👍. As my workshop is about 50 meters from the house, this can be very handy , and if The queer one sees any sort of parcel being delivered she thinks that it is for work , as a large portion of work is sent by courier. It can get challenging when very long cardboard tubes appear out of the back of the delivery van though.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Or get it sent to your place of work👍. As my workshop is about 50 meters from the house, this can be very handy , and if The queer one sees any sort of parcel being delivered she thinks that it is for work , as a large portion of work is sent by courier. It can get challenging when very long cardboard tubes appear out of the back of the delivery van though.
Or even smaller square boxes containing a Daiwa Nina 2500 reel. :ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
I can't get my head around people having to resort to subterfuge with bits of tackle, guess I must be one of the lucky ones, if I fancy a new bit of tackle my good lady encourages me to get it and will often pay for it. :love:
Mrs M' just sends you the invoice then Peter?:unsure:

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Unless it’s birthday or Christmas money I only tend to buy bigger bits of gear (rods, reels) if I can sell something else that’s been lying around redundant. Some of my guitar gear and old hifi stuff has become some nice fishing stuff in the last few years. I think I’ve tried to buy the gear I need to do the fishing I am interested in. Problem is I’m interested in all of it 😂

I was starting to plot what I might like with proceeds of a pole I was selling to members on here. Got mucked about twice so that put paid to that idea 🤦🏻‍♂️

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
'Is buying fishing kit addictive ?'

Yes it is, that's my excuse from now on and I sticking to it. I didn't buy it, it's not my fault I have an addiction. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I am about there as far as major kit items go for my needs. Yes I could look at upgrading my Korum Barbel rods, but as they work just fine for me, then there is no real urge to update them. The only possible exception being a shorter float riod, although as I haven't come across a situation where I need one it's not something on my mind. Other than that I can only see some camping kit; stove, cookware etc being bought.

As for minor kit ah well that's a whole different addiction. :ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I can't get my head around people having to resort to subterfuge with bits of tackle, guess I must be one of the lucky ones, if I fancy a new bit of tackle my good lady encourages me to get it and will often pay for it. :love:

So, when do you want this Guru / Rive seat box and 13’ Acolyte Ultra dropping off Peter ? Like last time …. 3am Thursday morning again ? 🤣🤣🤣

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
'Is buying fishing kit addictive ?'

Yes it is, that's my excuse from now on and I sticking to it. I didn't buy it, it's not my fault I have an addiction. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I am about there as far as major kit items go for my needs. Yes I could look at upgrading my Korum Barbel rods, but as they work just fine for me, then there is no real urge to update them. The only possible exception being a shorter float riod, although as I haven't come across a situation where I need one it's not something on my mind. Other than that I can only see some camping kit; stove, cookware etc being bought.

As for minor kit ah well that's a whole different addiction. :ROFLMAO:
Cooking kit can become stupidly expensive Scribe, there are four gas stoves and one duel fuel in my cave that resembles Go Outdoors.
My mate cooked Chicago town pizzas in his ridgemonkey xl sandwich toaster last week, a ridgemonkey xl sandwich toaster is a must have for on the bank cooking!
A jet boil is another great item for boiling water quickly.

MrBen

Site Supporter
It’s a condition related to GAS . Gear Acquisition Syndrome effects many musicians. They believe, if they have more instruments it will make them a better musician.
The angling offshoot of GAS is called GAS, Gear Acquirement Syndrome👍. I can categorically prove that it doesn’t make you a better angler. If you have GAS I’d advise seeking help👍

edit: you can google gear acquisition syndrome😉😉
Or maybe they just like buying nice things that are related to their hobby/passion and have no pretence it will make them better at said hobby. The only help I need is to not throw the next idiot in who comes out with the phrase “all the gear and no idea”. We have a government and culture that encourages entrepreneurship but if you spend anything on items that people think are luxurious you can expect to get pilloried for it.

squimp

Site Supporter
I'm in selling mode at the moment.

More than a dozen rods gone in the last year or so and Ive shifted 5 reels recently.

3 more reels (baitrunners) currently up for sale......

If I buy stuff, its now usually cheaper versions of what I had previously eg Okumas instead of Ci4 Shimanos.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
In short, Yes!! After convincing myself last summer that I had all of the gear I need, I’ve just purchased a new reel (Preston Magnitude 320) today and I’m likely to spend out on a couple of rods this week. One rod (Cadence CR10 ft feeder #2) is a need to replace my broken feeder rod, the other is a want though (Cadence 11ft #1 float rod.)

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm at a stage of the year when I'm thinking about buying stuff in advance for summer, just small stuff like sawn off shotguns, boshers etc just hope I get round to using them. Definitely addictive but means I'll be prepared in advance.