Is buying fishing equipment addictive

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Now I've not bought a rod for at least 4-6 months, I've a tri cast long range medium feeder I'm not overly keen on I'd like to replace it with..? But I've not decided so I'm hanging fire I had seen a supera 11'6 in the classified section but dithered and it sold, just been looking at nejohn's selection and was tempted by the Ian heaps offering, trying to persuade myself I've a gap in the armory for a light waggler rod, but I don't really.

That's just rods, don't get me started on floats or feeders, and I don't use that many feeders but I feel I have to have one for every eventuality.

Are we ever truly happy with what we have or is the next "greatest best ever rod/pole/reel" going to tempt you or you feel your searching for the perfect item to do a niche job when actually you already have something acceptable but not perfect.

Are you happy with your tackle, or do you have a compulsive magpie urge to buy more shiny things.

The question is do I need help is there no cure for this affliction, should I just accept my tackle will always need updating 🤔.

I do love to handle a new rod/reel/whip and I'm sure if I did pole one them to, who else has a tackle Kleptomania dark side, I did however buy two new reels and a side try but that has not satiated my appetite for more more more

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I thought I was happy with what I had in terms of rods, and decided last year to stop looking to do anything other than replace kit when it broke. However, I realised this year that not having anything on my wish list meant that I had stopped trying to improve and pretty much come to a halt. This has little to do with " It's new so I'm buying it", but more to do with " How do I improve my chances of landing X, seeking and landing bigger and better specimens in differing environs, and so on. If this means that I need a longer or more versatile rod then let's do it!

I like the motivation sentiment expressed a while back by someone who's name I cannot remember which goes something like this

"May you achieve all your dreams bar one!"

What I really need is not so much the desire to update my tackle when necessary, but maybe more to do with updating me!

davej1981

Unfortunately my circumstances dont allow me to buy much atm so it really is a case of making do with what i have. As a rule though i only buy what i need when i need it anyway. As long as what i have does what i need it to do i dont replace it, even when i had the money to do so i would wait until something is broken. I do, however, get a bit excited when i get something new even if it’s something as little as a new float or elastic lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The last new actual tackle I bought was a couple of years back. I bought 2 Shimano Sahara reels, and after 2 years I've only used 1 of them. The other has not seen daylight and is still in it's box. That's what made me decide that enough is enough, I have all I need (and a bit more besides) so my money stays in my pocket when it comes to new tackle. If I don't need it by now, I never will and I don't buy it just because it's the 'latest 'in' thing'. I have got my gear sorted and separated into 3 main categories, River, Carp and Stillwater, I can just grab and go knowing I have what I need when I need it. Besides, I'm a tight git poor pensioner.

Shadrack

I currently have just about everything I need for the types of fishing I plan to do this year at least. But I still can’t stop myself from looking at listings on eBay and Facebook. Even for stuff I don’t have much interest in trying at the minute such as poles, I still find myself looking at them.

ravey

I was ‘starved’ of decent gear as a kid. When I got back into my fishing about 20 years ago, I went a bit wild on eBay. No regrets, as I knew what I wanted, and most of the stuff I was looking for was out of production anyway. I now have everything I’m ever likely to need, other than consumables. Even hooks I’ve stockpiled, as again, many of the patterns I wanted were obsolete.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
If anyone wishes to " upgrade" their tackle and is unsure what to do with the redundant tackle, To ease your conscience I will take it off your hands , it won't cost You much for this discreet service , normally the cost of posting the said items to Me ,where they will be lovingly looked after and given the attention they deserve . 👍😃

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Unfortunately my circumstances dont allow me to buy much atm so it really is a case of making do with what i have. As a rule though i only buy what i need when i need it anyway. As long as what i have does what i need it to do i dont replace it, even when i had the money to do so i would wait until something is broken. I do, however, get a bit excited when i get something new even if it’s something as little as a new float or elastic lol
I always research, save up and get best available to suit needs, this goes back to days when disposable income was short and I traded tackle to make some money, used to upgrade tackle.
These days have more disposable income but I still think the same.
I have not replaced a rod for fifteen years or so as the ones I have for whatever task - suit.

My issue is terminal tackle and ebay.
One click buy it now with address all in system = dangerous.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@rudd with the invention of Google pay, apple pay and the like one can auto fill nearly all the required boxes, so it's now a very dangerous place this iterweb shopping beast, no longer just amazon or ebay to tempt but the whole bloody lot, but I did restrain myself earlier I had a bits n pieces order and several bags of groundbait ( my stock room has been depleted) but I decided to hold off, main reason mid week match could not guarantee delivery by Wednesday so I'll have to buy it from a shop instead, possibly costing even more.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m fairly happy with what I’ve got having pretty much completely overhauled my gear in the last 3-4 years which is just as well as budget constraints prevent me from getting much more. If I earned a bit more I could could always find something else to buy though.

Rob F

Site Supporter
Shortest answer to OP - yes, if you let it!

When I got back on the bankside I was determined not to get drawn in to the latest, newest, shiny thing, must have syndrome - so far so good.
But I could do with a new seat, or maybe a box, and a short feeder rod, and a bite alarm, maybe a longer float rod or a dedicated pellet waggler rod, perhaps a rod specifically for drop-shotting. A bigger brolly would be nice too, and a bait tray stand, and a bait tray cover, and, and, and.....................

But self discipline must be maintained!!!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I used to... then I saw the light and moved away from the Dark Side... however I did have a rather unhealthy obsession with Center Pin reels, but I have it under control now... my Eureka was my last... all I buy now is bait

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I used to... then I saw the light and moved away from the Dark Side... however I did have a rather unhealthy obsession with Center Pin reels, but I have it under control now... my Eureka was my last... all I buy now is bait
We have seen your bait fridge Arry, more additives and potions than Holland and Barrett!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Not bought any for..... ooooh 3 weeks now
Anyway... thats not tackle...😜🤣

Edit... anything the wife buys me doesn't count either...😜👍

BarryS

Gone fishing
I have decided I have enough.....only buying hooks/line and small replaceables from now on.
Too many rods...too many reels....80% never get used.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Certainly not a kleptomaniacal dark side, I prefer to pay for my purchases😂😂

But yes, there always seems to be something I need, or want, although starting from scratch just over a year ago and quickly getting into match fishing, I’ve had to kit myself out with a lot of stuff.

The only real itches I’ve got are a pole upgrade to an MTX 4, a silvers waggler setup and a decent pellet waggler. Aside from that I’m pretty set for the foreseeable.

Until the next time I see something I like the look of👍