Is braid easily damaged?

delvy.dj

Hi,

I bought some new 12lb drennan acolyte feeder braid around 4 weeks ago.

I wanted to fish accurately, so I set the distance on the clip to the spot I wanted to fish. To record the distance I used a tent peg and walked out the line on the local field and noted the steps.

Then yesterday I went to fish using a 1.5oz weight and snapped off the first three casts, luckily I hadn't put a hook link on at this point and I only gently cast.

Is it possible I've damaged the braid recording the distance?

I wasnt heavy handed while doing it. Also the braid doesn't appear to be frayed either as I checked before each cast.

Thanks for any help, luke

brian carragher

Site Supporter
It would seem to me that the braid isnt the issue, I suspect you've got damaged rings and its nicking or catching on a cracked ring during the cast

I've had some braid on my reels , the same braid, for over 6 years and not cracked off on the cast and I give it some welly when I'm fishing at real long range

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Braid is less resistant to damage than the equivalent breaking strain nylon and when damaged by abrasion tends to go "hairy" which is the individual fibres breaking.

davylad

Site Supporter
As Godber suggests, the important question is where is the braid snapping. I reckon you'd have a job snapping 12lb braid, without it catching on something, like a sharp guide or a wind knot eg. I'd check all the guides, and make sure there's no twist in the braid, and the spool's not overloaded.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Out of curiosity Luke .... were you using a shock leader ? When you were striding the distance out you don’t think you inadvertently stood on the braid do you ? Is this the first time you’ve fished with this braid ? Was it it’s first outing ?

Cheers. 👍

nick2b

The only braid I have ever had fraying/breaking issues with was the Drennan Feeder braid when using it on rocky-bottom reservoirs without a shock leader. Quickly became useless. Never had a problem with other makes.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I used to use a shock leader but then switched to just a short bit of power gum direct to the braid. After a couple of sessions the braid was wearing where the feeder swivel ran along it. Now l use braid to 1m of mono. Sorted.