is betaine anygood ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
I was listening to a discussion which involved the mention of betaine on Fishermans Blues yesterday and how it is supposed to be one of the best fish attractors around,especially for tench...
Has any body used this stuff before to great effect or is it a load of hot air.....apparently a sprinkling of this stuff on your sweetcorn for a few hours can be bag up gear....dont bodybuilders use this stuff anyway ????

ian

joe1987

'Darwener'
Sorry this may sound like a numb question from a numb guy, but what is betaine???

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
Think its some sort of amino acid that fish find very attractive....Keith Arthur was talking about it on the radio yeasterday...id never heard of it meself to be honest.....

ian

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc's your man to answer this one.[:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
The mind boggles with all these additives....turmeric another one !!!!

ian

Ian C

Hi Ian,

Bodybuilders use loads of supplements/drugs (some legal, some not.lol).
I don't recall using betaine on its own, but it may have been included in some of the commercial supplements I used to use.
I haven't trained for years, so have no supplements to have a look.
Your not confusing it with Creatine are you?

Anyway, back to your question. I have just done a web search on Google for Betaine and got lots of things to read about it. If you do the same, you'll at least have something to read about it till someone knowledgable comes along [;)]

Ian C

scales

Vinny
Have tried it but did'nt make much difference

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

MALC

Ian,

Betaine is a feeding trigger used for years by the carp boys and more recently by matchmen.

If you read most Carp based groundbait packets you'll see they contain it.

Personally i've used it for about 8 or 10 years in various forms as a bait dip/coating/additive or ingredient for most of my carp fishing.

I think it's the same as any flavouring or additive though in as much as if you've got the confidence in it it'll work.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

TINY

Tiny
Morning chaps[:)]
Betaine is an extract from beetroot and is closely associated with natural fish hormones.[:D]
You will find this in most groundbaits and especially in corn products for fishing,ie pescaviva flavoured corn.[:D]
Sometimes Its damn hard being me[:D][:D]

Andy.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
quote:Originally posted by TINY

Sometimes Its damn hard being me[:D][:D]

Andy

It would be much harder being somebody else though, and you never know how unlucky you might be if you were somebody else - that other well known contributor from Staffs for example [;)]

AlanP

TINY

Tiny
Does the name from Staffs begin with a T?[:0]
I think I know exactly what you mean Alan[;)][:D]

Andy.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
It's always, always, always remembering that there is somebody who is worse off than you - Andy I prefer not to answer that question as I might incriminate myself [;)]

Staffs Person Beginning with T (and not Tiny) - sorry, I'm probably pushing my luck here as I haven't even met you, but all the comments on this board indicate that you are a reasonable, mild mannered person with a GSOH - Hope they were accurate. [:I]

AlanP

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by AlanP

Staffs Person Beginning with T (and not Tiny) - sorry, I'm probably pushing my luck here as I haven't even met you, but all the comments on this board indicate that you are a reasonable, mild mannered person with a GSOH - Hope they were accurate. [:I]

AlanP

Mild mannered Clark Kentish is the word, GSOH, maybe, but reasonable he ain't. But he does do a good breakfast fry up.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
Thanks for the advice chaps,nowadays theres that many different additives on the shelfs you just dont know what to put in your shopping basket for the best ,i suppose on the day ,right conditions ,right spot etc etc your gonna catch a few regardless of what additive you dip your bait into,maybe these secret potions do give it the edge who knows,thats all part of the fun and mystery afterall...
P.S...Somerfields polony in the warmer months...."guaranteed to catch"

ian

brady

betaine is an artificial sweetener thats 1000 times sweeter than sugar or so i seem to remember so only add a bit to your bait

Glenn Archer

Y.T.D.A.A.
Like all good flavourings, etc its one piece of a larger jigsaw.
You need to get an overall foodsource that the fish like and keep coming back for more.

Basically:-

a basic food item,
a flavour or two
an appetite trigger/stimulant
a smell to attract the fish
and factor X.

Factor x is the special ingredient you have to work out for yourself! It could be betaine who knows.

The other thing to take into account is that you have to get all the ingredient amounts spot on to maximise the effect and this unfortunately takes a while !

The other thing is then to decide what bait to use all this lot on

Hope this helps a bit.

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
Doesnt Ultrabite contain factor x, it didnt catch me any fish but it dont half clean your teeth......arf arf !!!!

ian

Glenn Archer

Y.T.D.A.A.
I think your right, maybe I should've said factor 'y' the new improved upon factor X.
It obviously catches anglers then, should be a best seller in the tackle shops.

Does your other half approve of you with shiny (but rather smelly no doubt) teeth Ian ?

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.