Is a Pole better?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A pole IMO is unbeatable when fishing tight to an island or placing your bait in an area that would be impossible to cast to. However, if fishing open water would a waggler out perform the pole? You can change depths etc quickly and with no fuss and you have more control when playing better fish and, this is a big one for me, you are not sitting 'hemmed in' by spare sections, top kits et al. I would love to see a pole v waggler match.

alsur

Site Supporter
I'd say a pole gives you much more control and accuracy and in most circumstances would our perform a rod and line playing bigger fish is not that big a problem. When I go pleasure fishing now I generally don't take my pole and I know it hampers me.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No idea having never fished a pole but I couldn’t see much of an advantage over a waggler if not fishing a feature.

Silure

Site Supporter
The majority of french fishermen and women use the pole. Most do not know what a waggler is. Those that fish with a running line use telescopic rods with 20lb line and a huge float that is stuck out of the water like a floating buoy. They have taken to feeder fishing in a big way. When I first came to France they had no idea what a feeder rod was but now there are matches every week. My friends son is the feeder champion of France for the under 18s and now has sponsorships deals from Tubertini and France Baits.

robinta

I still think in most occasions, a pole will out fish a waggler.

For bite detection the smaller pole float (as a waggle needs to be bigger and heavier to cast out) , Is far more sensitive, and will show bites a waggler can't

Along with this, when striking at a bite the rod needs to move the line between the float and rod tip. Even if tight to the float, there's going to be far more stretch in 20-30 feet of line, than less than 2 on a pole.

I think there could be some occasions when a waggler would work better, but within pole range, I think the pole would win 9 times out of ten.

(nb... I don't know why this has started showing as italicised text!)

alsur

Site Supporter
No idea having never fished a pole but I couldn’t see much of an advantage over a waggler if not fishing a feature.
With a pole you can bait very accurately place your bait very accurately and it's easier to keep it there With more sensitive floats. Pole fishing on rivers is a different proposition but the above can come into play

solwood

Site Supporter
I have and do use a pole occasionally but I prefer to not use and carry a seat box so mostly use waggler/stick/feeder/bomb

Freesolo82

You will hit many more bites on a pole also if you miss one you can just drop back in

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I used to love pole fishing, especially when I was younger. The last season I've taken more to fishing rod and line, prefer playing fish that way, but think if I was going to enter matches on the same venues I'd want to be using a pole for the improved presentation, that said I think a better angler could still outfish a pole with a waggler. Cadence did a pole vs waggler silvers video at the Oaks, and the pole won.

rudd

Site Supporter
On commercial snake lakes or to features, on some rivers and some canals yes.
But all in all no.
All methods have time/place/venue.
When I won a club winter league most of my time was spent fishing waggler apart from last match but even then last 15min on waggler caught a decent Perch that won the match and the league.

Flathead

Site Supporter
On many of the places I fish you would be very hampered if you had to rely on the pole.

On wide rivers like the lower Great Ouse or Middle Level a pole simply would not reach where the fish often are....you need a wagglers or a slider or, indeed a feeder simply to find the fish.

When the roach are feeding heavily on seed then a whip or pole are often more efficient but that only lasts for a limited period

On the smaller drains then a pole would be better in most circumstances

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
On an average British stillwater the pole would be king , but on a river or very large lough it would limit you to fishing only up to 15 mtrs. On a river your groundbait is going to go with the flow anyway so you are not going to get the plate size bed of ground bait. I don't fish a pole because the waters I fish are not suitable for it ! Plus of course on a public water there is usually not room for shipping back. I think the pole takes up too much room on the bank, but it is a case of whatever floats your boat !

OldTaff

Site Supporter
When I had a pole then it was used much as the OP describes, for certain specific waters and pegs and I fished it about 50/50 with my rod.

Now I’m back into the sport and I am desperately saving pennies for a pole again - have the rods I need and a coupe of whips but I know I can greatly increase my catch rates on certain pegs I fish with pole tactics since the repeated pinpoint placement of terminal tackle is unachievable with waggler.

I don’t think the pole is better but rather another weapon in our fish catching arsenal.

lp1886

When I fish the waggler I would say that I hit 60% of bites on a good day. With a pole I would hit 80% on a bad day.
For me, the distance and conditions dictate the method.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I think for general fishing under 16 meters the pole will out fish a waggler, the only exception being when fishing for Roach and Ide were they back of or because of the pole over their heads when fishing shallow.

davepellet

For me it's the whole precision thing where a pole outscores a waggler

you plumb exactly where you want to fish regardless of proximity to features (albeit to a specific distance) and you can hold your rig in the exact place you want it, with no need to lay lengths of line on the deck to stop or slow the pull if there's any tow... there was a time waggler fishing my favourite reservoir when I was often laying 18" to 2' of line on the bottom sometimes with no8's strung along it to act as anchors

Plus feeding: with pole cups you know your feed is in the right place & you're sure to be presenting your bait over it, and if you so wish you can even vary the consistency of your groundbait - ie. you can cup it in almost dry if you want, try balling in a ball of dry groundbait at 13m

that said, I love fishing the waggler and often choose it if I'm fishing for tench & crucians at close range

trotter2

The pole should outfish the rod and line approach working on the same distances. Were the pole losses ground is in gin clear water were the fish can spook away from a pole overhead.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I prefer rod and reel.

I did contemplate getting a pole but i'm not really enjoying fishing stillwaters much anymore, more into pike / barbel now instead of stillwater coarse fish (Tench excepted)