Irrational Fishing Habits

robinta

So, this might just be me......but

Is there something that you do or don`t do in your fishing that really has no valid reasoning or basis in fact ?

For example, I will not put white line on a reel - but have zero issue using it for making up rigs :)

I think it goes back years when I would move away from Maxim and try an new reel line, and for some reason white lines always seemed to be coiled and springy.

I might have tried the occasional spool of line over the years, but always been unhappy - irrespective of brand.

so now, i wont buy white reel line.

anyone else have anything similar ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I sometimes count to either 30 or 60 in my head before bringing in a feeder. So if I get an indication and think it's smashed my bait, I will either count to one of those numbers before winding in, for example. Sometimes just do it anyway, as a bite could be just round the corner.

Total

Site Supporter
I sometimes count to either 30 or 60 in my head before bringing in a feeder. So if I get an indication and think it's smashed my bait, I will either count to one of those numbers before winding in, for example. Sometimes just do it anyway, as a bite could be just round the corner.
^^ :giggle:Buy a stopwatch ya tight sod!;):p:ROFLMAO:

Mr_Moo

Site Supporter
So, this might just be me......but

Is there something that you do or don`t do in your fishing that really has no valid reasoning or basis in fact ?

For example, I will not put white line on a reel - but have zero issue using it for making up rigs :)

I think it goes back years when I would move away from Maxim and try an new reel line, and for some reason white lines always seemed to be coiled and springy.

I might have tried the occasional spool of line over the years, but always been unhappy - irrespective of brand.

so now, i wont buy white reel line.

anyone else have anything similar ?
Haha. Whenever you see those "rod, reel & tackle" bundles; they've always got white line on them and you just imagine how long they've been sitting in a warehouse or on display. When you cast out, it looks like a spring! I think it's been ingrained in our minds since being kids.

JLK

I always put a red maggot on the hook first and then another colour and not the other way around.
It's the same with putting a maggot and a pinkie on. It's very rare for me to hook a pinkie first and then a maggot. It just doesn't look right. Even if I fish double caster it's darkest caster first 😀

Mr_Moo

Site Supporter
I always put a red maggot on the hook first and then another colour and not the other way around.
It's the same with putting a maggot and a pinkie on. It's very rare for me to hook a pinkie first and then a maggot. It just doesn't look right. Even if I fish double caster it's darkest caster first 😀
I believe there is a medical term for this...

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Always put 11 turns on a knotless knot and 2 back up before threading the line back through the eye.

squimp

Site Supporter
I often do something similar and ‘countdown’ before I wind in a feeder or lead rig.

I only use a stop watch for fly fishing.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I,ll never put 2 different coloured maggots on the hook, also i,ll never use a coloured line, only use a clear line.:)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I often do something similar and ‘countdown’ before I wind in a feeder or lead rig.

I only use a stop watch for fly fishing.
It sometimes works and I'll get a proper bite during the countdown but not always, maybe not that irrational.

I,ll never put 2 different coloured maggots on the hook.:)
I'm the opposite, say if I use 4 maggots on a hook, I'll always make sure at least one is a different colour.

Usually carry Bronze and Red or Yellow and Red.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
After my experiences with Shakespeare kit as a teen, I've never bought anything from the brand since. As much as I know that this is not entirely rational, I doubt I ever will now.

First thing set up and last put away - landing net.
Something that was often taught and practised. I'm certainly still doing it since having it drummed into me as a kid. I'm not convinced it's irrational though. There's nothing more than embarrassing than scrabbling around trying to assemble a landing net while playing a fish. You look like a complete numpty. Mercifully, the only time I failed to follow this golden rule, there was no one to see it. I've had a good laugh at plenty of others in this predicament though.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
I don't use bronze maggots. I still don't trust what they use to dye them with. Seems odd that this day and age that I see anglers using them and their hands are orange stained!

Paul_T

Site Supporter
I don't use bronze maggots. I still don't trust what they use to dye them with. Seems odd that this day and age that I see anglers using them and their hands are orange stained!
The maggots have likely been sprinkled liberally with tumeric powder which dyes your fingers orange, especially if they're wet. I've been doing it for donkey's year on my maggots when fishing rivers.

grey

Site Supporter
Always put 11 turns on a knotless knot and 2 back up before threading the line back through the eye.
I'm not superstitious - but surely 13 turns on a knot will alert the wrong side of luck?

Out of curiosity, after you tie one of these hooks, what do you usually see next, a magpie or a black cat? :unsure:

Mr_Moo

Site Supporter
Other cultures see the number 13 as the opposite as to what 'we' do.