Irrational Approaches

robinta

Does anyone have any strange inconsistencies or approaches that they use in their fishing?

For example.

I will not use a clear reel line under any circumstances, but tend to prefer it for pole work!

I know it makes zero sense, but I think in the distant past I tried a few different reel lines that were clear, and in every case they were horribly brittle and coiled easy.

Yet when making pole rigs I tend to prefer a clear line.

Anyone got anything similar?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I only use this old woody/grassy stuff as a rod, and (mainly) funny old round reels
Did it become a bit of a mission for you one day, Aitch....to only use vintage type tackle. I mean you're obviously a very experienced angler who's done all the match & pole stuff in the past.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Did it become a bit of a mission for you one day, Aitch....to only use vintage type tackle. I mean you're obviously a very experienced angler who's done all the match & pole stuff in the past.
I started fishing with a bit of cane as a little dot in 1962... I've always fished & I got the opportunity to buy a MKIV carp rod about 10 years back and I've slowly drifted over to all antique/vintage gear... I still have some carbon stuff left... me pole and a couple of carp rods, but in the main I mainly fish with old gear... pressure's off to catch... I can sit and watch the grass grow and enjoy a day out, and rather than looking at a soulless bit of black carbon made on a machine, I have a work of art that has been built by hand and lovingly crafted sitting on my rests or in my hands...

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Once I've loaded my gear back into my car after a session I always walk back to the swim I've been fishing to check that I haven't left anything behind. Even though I thoroughly check my swim before I leave it so I know that I haven't! Totally irrational, but I just HAVE to do it!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Once I've loaded my gear back into my car after a session I always walk back to the swim I've been fishing to check that I haven't left anything behind. Even though I thoroughly check my swim before I leave it so I know that I haven't! Totally irrational, but I just HAVE to do it!
IA couple of seasons ago I spent quite a bit of time fishing a remote lake on the top of the Brecon Beacons it was over a mile from the nearest road so getting there meant travelling light and trekking across some really rough countryside the rewards though were stunning with pristine wild carp and scenery to die for (rain and wind permitting). If I did what you do once I got back to the car I would never get home...!!

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
IA couple of seasons ago I spent quite a bit of time fishing a remote lake on the top of the Brecon Beacons it was over a mile from the nearest road so getting there meant travelling light and trekking across some really rough countryside the rewards though were stunning with pristine wild carp and scenery to die for (rain and wind permitting). If I did what you do once I got back to the car I would never get home...!!

That looks like a superb place to fish, bet you'd get the place to yourself on most days. (y)

nejohn

Site Supporter
It is really stunning and they only allow 4 tickets a day, but I only ever saw one other person all of the times I fished it. It is however very open and when the weather is bad it is very bad and also a bit of a trek to get to and certainly not an easy flat walk unfortunately my knees suffer a little now so not fished it for a couple of years

OldTaff

Site Supporter
There’s a few like that dotted around throughout the valleys atop the mountains - there were 2 overlooking Ebbw Vale steelworks that were beggars to get to but had magical stocks of tench & carp & giant perch and we’re no place for the faint hearted.

Amazing places for the soul as well as angling gold.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Only ever buy maggots in red and white, half and half. Never just red and never just white. And I’m always more confident with white, I barely ever use red on the hook despite feeding them. Don’t really know why, but it’s always been like that.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I almost only ever buy maggots in red simply because I've had more success on them than anything else. White is plan b. Don't like mixed as makes me paranoid of which colour to use/is working better lol

Would never go fishing without maggots on all but the most choc full commercial. On the venues I fish maggot and hemp are the only baits you can almost guarantee will work virtually every time so they are two I almost never go without.

feldri

Site Supporter
In my mind, maggots are the only bait that every fish will take. Only been set up on the bank once without them, and that was because I'd left them at home. Packed up again and went home to get them. Had other baits with me but knew I wouldn't catch as many without the maggots. Usually take reds and Flouro pinkies but have been known to take a few whites. Years ago I just used to have red pinkies as I could catch all day on the river with them. Even further back it used to be bronze were the favourite.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Not Irrational, more common sense, I always send my wife back to do the same, (I don'tcare how far it is)!