Irish lakes Feeder rod advice for newbie

bkm

Trying to get a 2nd hand feeder rod for trip this year. I think from what I've read/seen that I need something ~12ft, with few tips and casting weight to ~60g. Ideally 3 piece but needs to be inexpensive but decent too if possible.
Something that will cover roach/hybrid/bream and distance if required. Hoping to spend <£50 incl postage if possible but know I'll be very limited at that.
I mainly just fish from a kayak now but am staying lakeside for 1 week and want to have bank fishing options with me. (I have just bought a 2nd hand 13" float rod)
Can you recommend something suitable for this feeder fishing, thank you

Shadrack

Have a look at the Maver reality rods. They’re about £50-60 and they do a 12ft three piece rated for 70g feeders. Seen a couple in the tackle shop and they look alright.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
This might be ok for what you want. It’s an old rod but, still very capable. I used one of these for years.

Attachments

• 2FA6FB16-B31F-46D3-B10F-AAC5584E916A.png
    2FA6FB16-B31F-46D3-B10F-AAC5584E916A.png
    368 KB · Views: 40

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Try ringing the local tackle shop where you are going on holiday for advice on what rod to buy.
They may have something suitable in stock too & keep it by for you saving on postage.
Personally I'd be looking for a feeder rod with at least 90g casting weight to get the distance easily & you most likely will be casting into strong head winds! You could also buy a 60g rod for close work too. Best of luck.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Try ringing the local tackle shop where you are going on holiday for advice on what rod to buy.
They may have something suitable in stock too & keep it by for you saving on postage.
Personally I'd be looking for a feeder rod with at least 90g casting weight to get the distance easily & you most likely will be casting into strong head winds! You could also buy a 60g rod for close work too. Best of luck.

Tell ya what mate. I’m taking you with me next time I buy a rod. I struggle to buy my bait for under 50 quid let alone a rod. 🤣🤣

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Tell ya what mate. I’m taking you with me next time I buy a rod. I struggle to buy my bait for under 50 quid let alone a rod. 🤣🤣
I didn't specify any rods Mick as that's a fairly tight budget but good luck to the chap. He could be sailing the Bay of e for what he needs :upthumb:
And don't forget to buy a few floats as well Mick on the way out :ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Shimano Aero X1. Aren’t they around the 50 quid mark ? They’re supposed to be decent for the money. 🤷‍♂️

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
They do look decent.
And a good few options on eBay as well.

Last edited:

Griffo

Site Supporter
I still use this for m
This might be ok for what you want. It’s an old rod but, still very capable. I used one of these for years.
Mick

I nearly posted the same ebay sale, I still use mine its a belter for the big rivers and lakes over in Ireland and and still gets an outing or two over here, old rod but one of the best Shimano's made.

bkm

I still use this for m

Mick

I nearly posted the same ebay sale, I still use mine its a belter for the big rivers and lakes over in Ireland and and still gets an outing or two over here, old rod but one of the best Shimano's made.
That rod seems to be sold now, only rods for pickup are avail at min
Thank you all for advice

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I still use this for m

Mick

It’s one of the few items of tackle I wish I’d never let go. It had the power for a big cast yet, it was forgiving with very few hook pulls at the net. One of those rods you just get on with from day one. 🤷‍♂️