irish bait

Status
Not open for further replies.

timber

built for comfort
can you please tell me the best hook baits for irish bream and roach cheers.(going to ballinamore in september)

big dave

Steve M

Site Supporter
Hi,
I have always taken red maggots,casters,worms and corn for hookbaits.However the maggots seem to be consistently more successful than the other baits on the hook. (unless used as a cocktail)
Cheers.[:)]

Simon R

Site Supporter
Dave

I agree with Steve - you won't go far wrong with a big bunch of red maggots (4 or 5 on a size 12 or 14)
If you find you're getting 'bitted out' switch to a worm and maggot or corn and maggot cocktail.
It does tend to vary a lot from day to day though - one day you won't get a bite on corn - the next day you won't get a bite on anything else.

Tight Lines

Simon

gorton

I,ve been going over for a few years now and the better bream nearly always seem to come on worm tipped with red maggot.

Ian White

Big E
Have to agree with the outhers most baits you use in the u k
should work the same
We found that groundbait feeders with worm or caster seem to catch the beter sized fish
ALL THE BEST
Ian White

martin.

Account Locked
ill go along with the restfor baits but a good holding bait to put in your balling/prebaiting mix is wheat it is very cheap & you can take it over dry you dont actualy have to cook it .
The easiest way ive found is put 2- 4 pints into a bucket( i then pour some liquid molases over ) then just pour bioling water in t cover by about 2" stir it up to mix the molases then leave overnight ,
drain liquid off this is ideal to mix up your g/bait with
then its ready to use .

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

scales

Vinny
Hello Dave, for Bream it has to be worms, for Roach maggot and caster. Irish Angling Services will provide you with all three but I like to take my own worms over (sometimes the IAS worms are a bit too big) and I get them from willy worms at www.willyworms.co.uk But don't forget you can't take them over in the soil provided so clean them off and put them in shredded damp newspaper with some mashed potato.

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

BILLYFISHER

HI MATE
I,VE SPENT MANY HAPPY HOURS ON GARADISE LAKE IN BALLINAMORE.
ONE TRICK WE FOUND,WAS TO MAKE SOME PASTE FROM OUR BROWN CRUMB
GROUNDBAIT,FISHED ON A SIZE 10 HOOK YOU KNOW WHEN THE TIP GOES
ROUND ITS A BREAM.
TIGHT LINES.

BILLYFISHER

Roppa

You can't argue with the info you've been given. The wheat tip is a good one too, I usually mix wheat and pearl barley, take enogh for the first two days then start soaking it with just cold water 3 days before you need it. Don't forget to prebait, all these stories of bream being good to those who feed them is true. Don't go driving around looking, stick with it and the Bream will find you. Garadice is also a good tip.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Save yourself a few bob and replace the casters with trout pellets the bream and hybryds love em especially when you soak them over night in brasem

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

Last edited:

scales

Vinny
Brasem flavoured pellets hmmm....good idea Al

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

Status
Not open for further replies.