ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave dolly

Hello m d's have just found this site and was wondering if any of you have stayed in the ballyconnell area of cavan.I've been to ireland lots of times but never stayed this far north.I'm staying at woodford lodge for a week from september 7th and would like any info on the fishing in the area and also any pubs worth a visit.Thanks- dave.

G

Dave my man the woodford lodge,
I have been stopping there for the past 6yrs mate, Mick will sort you out on the places to fish no problem.
I go over on the 8th June for 8 days.
Welcome to the forum mate

http://animatedgif.net/animals/dolphins2_e0.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Dave and welcome on board

Regards, Dave

FAQ: Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts ?
Yes, the 'Subscribe to' feature allows you to subscribe to individual Categories, Forums and Topics. You will receive an e-mail notifying you when a post has been made.

norm

dave dolly
woodford lodge i stayed there this year i was with tomma
ballyconnell for ginnus you must try molly mcguires (top of the street) i swear you will not get a better pint.
for the fishing go to the anglers rest (bottom of the street and frances will tell you all the best places)
one thing mate if you go with the manager of the woodford practice your driving skills as it will take some keeping up with him.

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

dave dolly

Thanks for the welcome, i was wondering if any of you who have been to the ballyconnel area before could give me any information on what type of fishing is in the area.Also what species of fish are there and what kind of weights have you caught in the past,i dont want to turn up with loads of tackle and bait and then find out i dont need half of it.Cheers,dave.

norm

dave
all i take to ballyconnell is 1 feeder rod and 1 float rod
on the woodford river which is just next to ballyconnel main street
i had 1 pint of caster
and about 4lb of groundbait
fished feeder
4lb maxima reel line
4.6lb stillstar hook lenth
14 hook
fished double caster 5 am until 12 oclock dinner time
121 lb 12 oz of bream and hybreads
to 4lb
cracking fishing
(all i take the float rod is incase it is windy then i use a sidewinder) much better with a stiffer rod
but there are a lot of places close by and the manager of the woodford will show you them no probs
just say you have been talking to old git (andy thompson)(tomma)lol

G

Dave no need to take bait with you mate Mick has a tackle shop on site,all you need see Mick and he will oblige you,maggots,caster,worms and brown crumb,the only thing i suggest that you take is ground bait,as my mate Norm said no need for a lot of tackle.
Ask Mick to take you to Loch Trinity mate, ask him to show you the island pegs,we prebaited the night before, went next day,got 60 odd pound in 3 hrs, bream and tench,bream to 5lb and tench to 7and 3/4 lb, the heavens opened up and the wind was pushing the water over our platforms, impossible to fish so we done the next best thing WENT ON THE BEER{LoL}.
Eating wise we have got a Chinese take away and an Indian take away, boozers are spot on mate.
I will post my results when i get back,

Andy

dave dolly

Thanks for the info everybody,i've just found out that woodford lodge is not in ballyconell i hope it's not to far away from a pub because we go for the guinness almost as much as the fishing.Also are any of you going to be there from september 7th for a week because thats when we will be there.

G

Dave its at a place called Ballyheady, as you know, just outside of the village,how many of you are going???, sorry mate but its a taxi ride, or an 1/2hr walk, the taxi should cost no more than a few euro's.
Mick will put you onto the waters, sorry not be over in September
Cya Dave good luck

Andy

i'm going fishing

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
28th MAY BALLYCONNEL river main street 10` up torrenting through not fishable .we went cos we saw what u had said. on fishable place in area was the bit of canal just outside town and the lake on the road to beltubet CAN`T REMEMBER WHAT IT`S CALLED, BUT YOU NEED TO DRAG THE LILY PAD`S we lost 14 feeders amongst the 6 of us and a lot of fish.
haydn
dave
all i take to ballyconnell is 1 feeder rod and 1 float rod
on the woodford river which is just next to ballyconnel main street
i had 1 pint of caster
and about 4lb of groundbait
fished feeder
4lb maxima reel line
4.6lb stillstar hook lenth
14 hook
fished double caster 5 am until 12 oclock dinner time
121 lb 12 oz of bream and hybreads
to 4lb
cracking fishing
(all i take the float rod is incase it is windy then i use a sidewinder) much better with a stiffer rod
but there are a lot of places close by and the manager of the woodford will show you them no probs
just say you have been talking to old git (andy thompson)(tomma)lol

[/quote]

norm

what is going on that is half of my post plus half of haydns????

Status
Not open for further replies.