Ireland pilgrims 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CASPER

Cheers for the info lads.3 days and a bit to go.What stretch on killykeen is fishing?

Rich.T

Originally posted by hempy

Originally posted by Rich.T
saome huge bream coming off killykeen we had some clonkers,

Rich, where abouts at killykeen did you get the big bream ??

pegs 13-18 were best, bit of na walk but worth it, had 1 on a good 15 min couldnt get it off bottom, thats with 10lb braid 6lb hooklenghth and a size 10, most of us had them to over 6lb, but not loads, average was 3-5 each.

endura

The Bookie

Originally posted by hempy

saome huge bream coming off killykeen we had some clonkers,

Rich, where abouts at killykeen did you get the big bream ??

pegs 13-18 were best, bit of na walk but worth it, had 1 on a good 15 min couldnt get it off bottom, thats with 10lb braid 6lb hooklenghth and a size 10, most of us had them to over 6lb, but not loads, average was 3-5 each.

Are they pegs in front of the chalets mid way between the slipway for the boats and the field pegs as you drive through the gate ?
Pretty sure they used to be the noted pegs in King of Clubs some years ago, very short chuck ? Used to catch the odd big tench on that stretch

Last edited:

ianc21

Just got back into the swing of things at work, report will be on here by the weekend but in the meantime please feel free to enjoy the wet weather that i brought back for you all.

endura

The Bookie
Originally posted by ianc21

Just got back into the swing of things at work, report will be on here by the weekend but in the meantime please feel free to enjoy the wet weather that i brought back for you all.

That sounds familiar Ian [8D]

sporty

Site Supporter
will be heading to cavan next week so any info would be much appreciated quite happy to travel anywhere for decent sport.thanks[:T]

bostednet

Originally posted by sporty

will be heading to cavan next week so any info would be much appreciated quite happy to travel anywhere for decent sport.thanks[:T]

where are you planning to fish ?, if water levels are good fish drumlona straight in front of car park (bottom of bank) you WILL get 40lbs hybrids no problem

sporty

Site Supporter
i am based in virginia but quite happy to travel to killeshandra or coothill to get decent sport ,hopefully ramor will fish this year but it is very prone to going off after heavy rain or east winds etc so i like to have back venues in mind that have shown recent form

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by sportyhopefully ramor will fish this year but it is very prone to going off after heavy rain or east winds etc
You're not wrong there - we've certainly had more rubbish days on there than we've had good ones.

Drumlona is a good shout though - if the rocks are visible at the bottom of the path it's worth fishing - if not don't bother.
Got some mates over at Gowna at the moment - should be back early next week so I'll have some up to date reports from that area.

Simon

n/a14

deleted
Originally posted by mack

10 weeks to go then back to killeshandra cant wait

Where are you staying? wouldn't mind another bash at Ireland I went a few years ago and it was sh!te!

Dave[:)]

mack

staying at ash apartments next to o dowds diner there for two weeks

sporty

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Simon R

Originally posted by sportyhopefully ramor will fish this year but it is very prone to going off after heavy rain or east winds etc
You're not wrong there - we've certainly had more rubbish days on there than we've had good ones.

Drumlona is a good shout though - if the rocks are visible at the bottom of the path it's worth fishing - if not don't bother.
Got some mates over at Gown [a at the moment - should be back early next week so I'll have some up to date reports from that area /that would be good simon i am going over on tuesday if your hear anything .cheers
S

ianc21

Day 1. Arrival:-
Slight change in tactics here, as our ferry was later than usual. First stop for us was not our lodgings, nor a quick recky at any venues we were hoping to fish, nor was it a crafty pint of the Black stuff in some more than welcoming bar, but a much planned trip to Tescos to buy the provisions. You know the sort of thing, bang in the oven chips, fancy apple pie in a box, and a couple of Ding micro meals. That sorted we headed for the BOHANS place.
At first glance we thought he was hiding along with them white buckets of his, but on deeper inspection we found he had made our lodgings spick n span, but left us all alone. (Trusting fella is the BOHAN). Undeterred we unpacked at a leisurely pace, two pair of skids, a clean vest and a toothbrush, and decided not to fish for the remainder of the day but to visit a couple of venues and pre-bait the ones that we intended to fish first. The first venue was a small lake on the road to Knockvicar near Boyle, we had fished this lake several times over the years but not visited it for around 5 years so it was time to give it a bash. Unfortunately due to forest fires, vandalism, E.U. visitors, poaching and a total lack of respect for the Irish countryside our path had been blocked by a well padlocked barrier. Shame/pity, but sorry to say this guys, but the Irish have just about taken all they can take when it comes to abuse of the countryside from outsiders.
Second point of call was a local lake along the N4, Lough Aduff. We had passed this bit of water many times over the years but never ventured out to fish it. A quick call to the BOHAN regarding access and fishing potential was greeted with Its a hell of a walk boys, but good fishing so ignoring his advice and words of Irish wisdom we proceeded to have a look at this lake. (Hey we were on holiday with all the time in the world). Why oh why do we English anglers think we know best??? Got out of the van, jumped the fence and began to walk down the field towards the lake, 5 fags, 2 stops, a point percy at the porcelain moment and a half full wellie later, we were nowhere near the waters edge so gave up, cursing the BOHAN by the way!
Decided that we had spent far to long looking for the easy option, so rang the BOHAN again for advice. (As you do when your over here as his guests). He gave us some advice on fishing lough Rynn out at Mohill which we had fished before with great results, even pointing out the swims we should fish. Did we listen? Like hell we did, we thought we knew better cos we come over once a year and catch fish, so totally ignored his advice and went to a lake we had fished last year for the first time with net busting results. We drove around a little (minutes became hours) looking for this lake but, when you have three versions of how to get there it becomes a little complicated. Anyway we stumbled across it in the end and decided this was going to be the venue for our first full day of Irish angling 2011. We did the pre-baiting ritual, nothing fancy just some good old crumb, a few bags of odd groundbait we had brought with us to use up, a tin or two of corn and a few handfuls of castor. Dumped it in and made a mental note of where it fell. Left it at that and retired to the lodgings for a meal and an early night cos we was Buggered

Day 2. First Outing:
Ok, here we go, our first venture in Irish waters for 2011 the year of Beat the BOHAN (not counting the ferry trip).
Up, dressed, washed and fed before 5am van loaded, bait cleaned and 3 blarey eyed anglers eager to fill their nets. Arrived at our venue, unloaded all the gear and trudged twice each over the fields down to the bank. Took our time setting up as we planned on staying all day, and maybe a little of the evening filling our nets. Perfect day for it, a slight breeze causing a welcomed ripple on the water, overcast giving some cover from the up and rising sun and, best of all NO BLOODY RAIN!
Oh how fickle Irish angling can be, fished all day for 4 fish between us.
NUFF SAID!!!

Day 3. Something different:
Took a look at a little river stretch in a place called Jamestown. We had yet again fished here before and seemed to do quite well. The river comes through the wier here at some pace, so a feeder connected to a housebrick is called for. Set up in the rain, fished in the rain and packed away in the rain. Had three visitors come and pay us a visit whilst we fished, all telling us that we would be better off further down the bank towards the lough running a stick through close in. We listened to what they had to say, but were more than happy sitting in our swims getting wet but catching some nice sized roach, hybrids and the odd skimmer. All in all we had a good day and all caught fish, no great weights but at least we were up and running. Three happy anglers finished the day by declaring to return the following day and fishing the Locals Stretch. If your reading this Larry, thanks for the advice and I shall see you in September.

Day 4. The Return:
Well after a hearty breakfast (3 fags, 2 cups of coffee and the obligatory dump) our thoughts turned to fishing the Locals stretch. Easy walk to our swims with no route marching through fields of cattle, although it was RAINING for a change, we set up regardless.
First couple of hours saw roach, hybrids, perch and a few nice bream being caught. Then came more RAIN, heavier and colder making fishing rather uncomfortable. The bites dried up and the river began to seriously push through.
After a much welcomed hot drink, we decided to brave the elements and stick it out. A few more roach and perch were caught before the man himself Steve Ellis from Finchley announced he had hooked into a large fish, and as we watched him play it like a seasoned professional he had caught himself a nice brown trout, not big enough for the plate but a first and PB for our man Stevie. We were going to offer it to the guy further up the river who had been fly fishing for the past couple of hours with nothing to show, but decided to let the little blighter go. A little later Fichleys finest was into yet another rod bender, bit of fine angling and splashing around with a landing net saw a nice plump Irish perch on the bank. Not the biggest perch in the world but yet another PB for Stevie the man to beat.
Not the greatest days fishing, but we all caught, and braved everything the Irish weather could throw at us. Had a slight accident in the van on the way back, left over groundbait & maggots went tits up so spent the early evening stripping out the van and sweeping all manner of poo out of the back. Once clean again, gear back on (buckets wedged in) and time for tea. Chosen venue for tomorrow is Barnies shore on Lough Allen.

Day 5. Lough Allen:
Up early, fed and watered ready for the off. No rain (Yet) and a little sunshine to brighten our short journey to Lough Allen. Drove down the bank, to find water levels very low and not a single ripple or movement upon the water. Untetered we set up and began fishing. Slight breeze came along and made our floats move a little, (good job because the damn fish werent!) A few fish were eventually caught before we stopped for hot tea & bickies. A quick call to the BOHAN to put us right was in order, so with some reluctance we rang him (well it was after Jerremy Kyle so we knew he would be up). Get off Barnies and head for Kesh lake was his advice, apparently Barnies is fishing well in the evening!!!!!!!!!. So chucked everything fully set up into the van and set off for Kesh Lake. Obviously the BOHAN had not taken into account the weather when dishing out his advice. All the wind in Ireland must have chosen to blow across Kesh Lake today. Not saying it was windy, but half full buckets (Green Ones) were being blown across our pegs. Just like the true Ireland Pilgrims that we are we stuck it out. Two lads set about feeder fishing and I chose to give the waggler a go between gusts. The wind was blowing the wagg back towards the shore all day, although at about 5 meter I got bites. Not big fish but at least I was catching. Simon tried to beat the wind factor by using a sidewinder, he did catch fish but 9 times out of 10 his bait came back smashed to bits with no signs on the winder of a bite. Stevie from Finchley had the day from hell, you know the one:- everything goes totally wrong, your struggling to find fish, your gear keeps tangling up, breaking or just not playing ball, your box slips or starts to lean to one side, oh you know that sort of day well this was Steves. Gone had his PB fish catching tactics, gone was his magic touch, in fact by the end of the day, gone was his will to live. End result for the day: Simon 8 fish, Ian 15 fish and poor old Steve with the first blank of the week. Not the sort of day you would write home to mum about but we are undeterred and will give tomorrow the Backlash of today.

Day 6. Lough Scurr Pumphouse
Arrived to a flat calm lough, no ripple, no breeze, no nothing not even rain.
Set up in t-shirts and looked forward to a tan if nothing else. Wag and the Polaris were the first choice of attack and a good few fish fell to these tactics before the wet weather gear came out along with the feeder . Pike became a major problem during the day apart from the bloody RAIN and it is my belief that on that day, every god damn pike in Ireland had chosen to come to Scurr. If you hooked 10 fish you only landed 3 the pike thanked you for the others!
The RAIN got heavier, the pike got bigger in numbers and the fishing slowed. We braved the weather for as long as we could before we became part of the lough. The wind was very cold, coldest we have had so called time before we either froze to death or drowned. 3 nice nets of fish roach, hybrid and skimmers. Home for a hot shower and the chance to dry out. The day was made worse by reports of a mini heat wave back home, lucky buggers.

Day 7. Lough Scurr The Rocks
Awoke to a little light RAIN and dark forboding skies. After a good breakfast, yes fags and caffine before you ask we decided to fish the other side of lough Scurr known as the Rocks just to find a little shelter from the weather if nothing else! What a bad choice this was, got out of the van to be greeted with a smack in the head from the most unrelenting wind you could imagine, having picked me fag up that had been blown from me lips we ventured round the corner to what is known as the Grass Bank wind just as bad here so a decision was made to return to the Pumphouse at least the wind would be coming off our backs and the rain when it came. Drove round to the Pumphouse and got set up, wind not to bad and at least it was not raining. Spread most of the gear along the bank in an attempt to dry it off cos the van was beginning to stink a little. Started on the wag catching small fish from the off until that damn pike who must hate me by now moved in along with his mate Jack. The other lads set about fishing the feeder, and struggled for the first few hours. Small roach and the odd skimmer fell to their tactics before the wind became a nightmare for them and they struggled to hit bites. I changed to the tip as I could not compete anymore with that fish stealing pike. Bites were difficult to see but after a short period of trial and error I managed to put 62 fish in the net without that pike getting a sniff, ha,ha,ha I beat the bugger. Sun paid us a visit for a while, although the wind never gave up, got most of the gear dried so decided to call it a day before the threatening RAIN ruined the gear again.

Day 8. Lough Gara, some place the otherside of Boyle.
Arrived at Gara to find the water levels down by around 5ft a little strange considering the amount of rain that had been falling over the past few days. The wind was at it again coming straight into your face so we quickly decided this was a non starter, took a walk up the river, I think its called the Lung to check for a nice sheltered spot to dangle a worm or two. Could not make up our minds so decided to give it a miss and head for another part of the river that the lads had fished some 8 or more years ago with good results. We found the spot with ease and on first impressions it looked promising and inviting, gentle flow on the river, far bank lilies and reed fringed to boot perfect venue for some serious fishing. Cast the wag and bump down went the float, first cast first fish a little obliging perch. The lads again chose the feeder (Lazy boys!) and were straight into small roach and perch, oh today was looking good. A couple of roach fell to the wag before Steve announced he had hooked into a monster! By the look of his rod he was hauling the plug out of the river bottom then bang, bang his rod was a jumping and pumping a large fish towards the net. He did as he was told and took his time, playing the fish out before attempting to net it. Once it broke the surface you could see it was a large full bloodied Irish bream, the sort of fish we had come to catch. Must have been the only bloody fish in that damn river as everything went dead after it had been landed, no bites, no liners, no damn nothing yet another day full of hope gone down the pan, well not to worry there was always tomorrow. Ventured out in the evening with the BOHAN yes he did make an appearance, to pre-bait a couple of spots as we had agreed to split up the following day.

Day whatever: Out with the BOHAN
Brian and myself got to our chosen spot just as the sun was warming our backs, got set up and had a chuck or two on the feeder, not a twitch for ages, then the BOHAN hit his first fish. A nice plump hybrid, a good few more fish fell to the BOHAN before my tip shot round and I was into a decent sized fish. Oh what a stupid English angler I am! Forgot to set the clutch on my reel and lost the big Irish fish I was after at the net, (MUST DO BETTER).
Undetered, but annoyed with myself I carried on. A few fish were caught and safely landed, but the BOHAN was beating me hands down. Things died after a few hours so we decided to ball it in and leave it for an early start in the morning. Drove passed the boys but rather than disturb them we continued home, stopped for a pint or two of the black stuff then carried on to bait up a spot on the river. Once Steve and Simon arrived home After getting lost they informed us that they had caught some good tench and would return tomorrow! (b*****ds). Anyway we all caught fish and felt a little better. Roll on tomorrow!

*****Next Day:-
The following day saw the BOHAN and myself up before the dew had settled in an attempt to catch fish. The boys were to fish at their last venue, but due to a late breakfast and getting lost they chose to fish the boards at the BOHANS. As for Brian and myself, we arrived at our venue, got set up and caught fish from the off, hybrids, plump roach and the ever obliging perch, no bream, yet again the BOHAN beat me hands down. The swim then went completely dead, we tried everything including Des OConner records but nothing worked. Made a decision to go to a spot on the river and bait it up for the next day. Got kitted out in me chest waders and armed meself with a nasty looking weed cutter, spent hours clearing two swims ready for tomorrow, yes before you all ask I found the only hole in the damn river and ended up chin deep in water, hey and the BOHAN never offered to help, he just laughed! Anyway we got set up and gave it a bash for a few hours, fish a chuck and one happy English angler.
The BOHAN was struggling to connect with fish from the off (HE,HE,HE,)I carried on dropping fish into me net and was well into my stride when the BOHAN announced that he was going to get his head down for a while. (Whimp)
Here was my golden opportunity to achieve what I had set out to do 12 months ago Beat the BOHAN on this occasion I am proud and honoured to announce that:- I Ianc21 from Nottingham had beat the BOHAN

Mission complete I beat the BOHAN
Came home to find that the boys had not gone to their last venue, but had chose to fish at the bottm of Brians lough. Two disappointed anglers tell the story so I will not comment!
We all showered, shaved and s**ted and went for a smashing meal out at a local pub we have come to love.
Made the decision to introduce the boys to river fishing tomorrow, something they have not achieved here in Ireland.
God help me!!!!!!!!

Another Day: The River & Mud!
Up early again, van packed and three eager anglers ready for the off. Did what all visiting anglers do and got lost (damn these Irish backroads). A quick call to the BOHAN and we were on our way running in the right direction this time. Arrived at our river spot (both Brian & myself had fished it yesterday and cut out some nice swims), decided to drive down to the waters edge or as close as we could get before we sank. Got set up in a short space of time and hey! Stevie from Finchley out on a platform in the water ******* deep in reeds n ****, this was a first for Steve as he has never fished anywhere other than from the bank. Caught fish from the off small roach, perch, hybrid and the odd skimmer. Swim died after a couple of hours again so we balled it in and made hot tea with biscuits. Went back to our pegs and the fish had returned, not in great numbers but they were there. There we sat enjoying the beauty of Ireland when all of a sudden the heavens unleashed hell on us. Not satisfied with trying to drown us, him up there thought it would be fun to throw a tornado in just for a laugh! Well like all true anglers we stuck it out. Simon declared he had caught A Big un! and as we watched him play this so called big one Brian came down with his daughter, Simon now had an audeience to play to so could not afford to mess things up. Well he huffed and he puffed as he played this monster in, all eyes were on the water waiting for it to surface. Boy did we mick ourselves when a bloody EEL broke for air. Anyway Simon landed it, unhooked it and gave it to Brian to take to the landowner for his tea. Things seemed to tail off after that. Maybe its the weather, water temps or just fish not feeding but we seem to catch for a few hours then everything goes dead. We waited for the rain to slow up so we could pack up and get home for a hot shower. Just before we finished I saw this boat racing up the river, not to worry thought I, he will slow down once he sees us, did he hell, this twit just ploughed straight passed us, whether he was on a promise or not we dont know but the idiot caused us to rescue our gear and collect keepnets from up the bank, twit.
Van sorted we aimed it towards the waiting gate, stuck like glue, up to our wheel arches in mud and horse ****e. Try as we might we were well and truly stuck. Red faced we called the BOHAN who after laughing and taking the mick came to our rescue (Bless him). Pity the horse had done some damage to the van as we would of liked to fish there again. Came home full of mud and poo so spent the early evening gear cleaning. Not sure about tomorrow, doesnt matter where we fish we know we are going to get rained on.

Scurr:- The Rocks.
Decided to fish Scurr today, as we wanted to get out of this bloody cold wind. Arrived to a gale force icy wind lashing into our faces so moved around the corner to get some respite. Feeder job this one just to try and combat the conditions. Yet again caught fish from the off, only small stuff but at least it was fish. Same thing again, after a few hours things slowed down, so kettle went on and out came the bickies. Got back into it and along came the roach, happy as a pig in muck I was having a fish a chuck when all of a sudden wack tip wrapped round, struck, reeled in and what do I get? A bloody Jack-pike. I reckon it was the little brother of that big bugger who plagued me all day over on the Pumphouse. Well last day tomorrow so we had a chat about where we were going to go, and decided on the field lake we had caught well on. Tottled off to said venue and balled it in ready for the next and final day. At this point Simon found he had a split in his waders so did nothing more than go back to the van and steal Steves even though they were a size too big, he came flopping back down the bank. Back for a shower, change and out for tea. Couple of pints of the black stuff and dreams of tomorrow will be the day!

Last Day: Sightseeing!
Up before the sun showed its face, sarnies packed (we was stopping late) and just as our eyes were opening we set off. Didnt get lost this time. Steve and Simon sat together in a large swim while I played Billy No Mates all on me lonesome. First cast saw a plump roach hit the net, up for more of this thinks i. Cast again and another plump roach hey bag up time has arrived. Simon was hitting tench, and it wasnt long before Steve was landing his first tench. I sat on me box twiddling me thumbs for the next two hours whilst the boys were bagging tench. Icould not buy a bite for love nor money, so decided to call it a day for this year and left the boys to enjoy the rest of the day and buggered off sightseeing and buying bits n bobs for me grandkids. Arrived back early evening to find the boys had packed up and where waiting for photos and weighing. Steve ended this year with around 16lb 0f tench (he lost more than he landed) and Simon took 60lb to the scales.
This has not been our best year catch wise and we could not put our finger on what was happening, but thats fishing, we wont be put off and will return yet again next year not just for the fishing but also to sample the Irish hospitality because its second to none.
Ianc21.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Great report ianc21. Pity about the weather but i suppose that's par for the course in Ireland and at least yoU managed to beat the BOHAN! [:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.