Ireland, May

Status
Not open for further replies.

scales

Vinny
Well another bad week (fishing wise) in Ireland, too much water again spoilt an otherwise great time. Nice to meet a fellow MD Haydn totally by accident on the next peg at Tully Lake. Stayed at Eonish Lodge which has to be the best accomodation with the best views in Ireland bar none !! 4 of us in the guest house and 8 in the self catering house next door, a big thank you to Sean and Geraldine the owners for making the week a happy one. Unfortunatly the fishing in the Lough in front of the house was dire...5 of us prebaited and fished for three days pileing the bait in every night using a boat, then went out with the fish finder over the baited swims and guess what ??....hardly a fish to be found !! I had 8 Perch in three days. Levels where right up even worse than last May. Spent the last 2 days at Killykeen Forest Park fishing next to the wooden footbridge in the riverised part catching small skimmers and hybrids. Still back again in September with renewed hope [:)]

cheers,

Vinny,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

scouse_lee

evertonian
same for me, but i found some decent fish on the friday some nice bream from tomkinroad but the fishing b4 that was awfull.

iam gonna try sept next year.

anybody know which is better may or sept...

gill58

VINNY,sorry to here the bad condition m8. But like you
i a wait for septmeber(11-21)same area.Been confirmed
today it's booked.Now fishing Garadice for first 4 days.
Moveing onto Killashandra area,have some friends fishing
the king of clubs 17-20 sept.Will be haveing a few pints
with them not seen some of them for years.LEE septembers
allways for me.VINNEY Tully Lake is that the same as
Tullyguide or Lough oughter(Enoish)

DAZA

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Tully lake is a small lake on the road from just north of Killisandra to just north of Butlers bridge.

Datafile4.asp

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
September is as bad its packed everywhere,try august when the kids r off school, so its family holidays.Any one try lough bawn? used to go then but no one to go with now!little old lonesome.Tight lines Neil

scouse_lee

evertonian
fished tullyguide 2 weeks ago, got earache of some irish guy for blooking a locked gate (i was the first to offer to move and i was polite but he was an old fart)
one guy back up the road caught a monster bream as i turned up but that was at 3 oclock, first fish and he had been there since early.
though it was a poor week with the weather and the fishing
a nice small lake called tomkinroad is well worth ago although the my biggest bream was about 5lb there was a few about.

but after this may iam gonna try later on in the year

MrC

I always used to go in May, but its so hit and miss because of the spawning etc.. April has always been the best time of year for me to catch irish bream. I will never go in May again.

scales

Vinny
I think your right MrC the last three years in May have been totally rubbish and maybe April would prove to be better.

cheers,

Vinny,

scouse_lee

evertonian
Well iam weighing it up boys,

iam off to spain in oct (me dads 50th bday, fishing) so i cant try ireland this sept,
but april there is still a chance of ground frost (part from this yr)

Triturus

After reading all the recent stories from Ireland these past few days, me and Ray seemed to the EXTREAMLY lucky with our visit

Neil

DaveWingfield

Vinny

Out of interest, what was the water clarity like, didn't go last year but in 2001 we noticed how clear the water was in front of the house ( you could see every ring on the keepnet) not usual. We went out in the boat with the fishfinder and found the bream right in the middle of the lake in over 50ft of water, they came in briefly during an absolute hoolgan of a storm, then they were gone again. Cant help feeling that the water clarity has much to do with the drop in catches around Eonish.

Best Regards
Dave

G

Scouse Lee is my mate the STALLION still in the field at Tullyguide, ???????

We had a bit of a saga going last year about him,

The horse never left me alone,

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ive noticed all the loughs and rivers are cleaner,they reckon zebra mussels have invaded and filtering all the rubbish out.When we started going 15 years ago it was all cloudy and the fish would come in close,and like you say everytime u go out on a boat with fish finders they are always shoaled up sulking in deep water,same in town lake all off the front in 35ft of water,my last tonne was at rann castle when it was flooded and the water cloudy.when we went to lanesborough we fished lough ree at galey bay and ive never seen water so clear,hence to say we didnt get a bite even after prebaiting.Tight lines Neil.[8D][8D][8D][?]

scales

Vinny
Hello Dave W, The water seemed quite cloudy last week but I suppose with all the rain previously it would be. Found some shoals in the very deep water further out but they just kept dissapearing off the fish finder. Two of our lads stuck it out for the whole week hoping for the fish to turn up but it never happened, I doubt if they had 10lb between them all week !! Said hello to Geraldine for you and she was happy to hear from you.

cheers,

Vinny,

Alan_Kilroy

Alot of bream to 9lb 8oz out, in the Carrickmacross area in May, well five eights and the nine that I know of.

scales

Vinny
Just to add... a certain tackle shop in Killeshandra charged me (or tried to) 5 Euros for a bag of Van Den Eynde PV1 binder, that works out at 3:56 a bag !! I took a few bags over with me that cost 1:99 over here for the exact same stuff !! Thats some mark up on the retail price, another lesson learnt. Anyone one else found similar rip-offs ??

cheers,

Vinny,

Status
Not open for further replies.