Ireland - Longford Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsmaboy

A friend and I are going to Tarmonbarry in May for a week. We've only fished at Roosky around here - usually we go to Ballyconnel and Cootehill.

Has anybody out there fished around the Tarmonbarry/Longford area and, if so, any hints on fishing hotspots ?

Steve Wilson

slider

if you are willing to travel a bit then try Athlone. Its the Inner lakes you want next to the Dog and Duck pub (everyone round there knows whereit is) if you fancy some river fishing then go to the river Inny at Inny bay,the river enters logh Ree and the guy who owns the farm has built some stages to fishfrom, it costs 3 euro and i had over 300 pounds out of there last year in under 10 hours. All hybrids at around 2-3 ound with the odd sample to 5 pounds. The thing is that when we aree there Tom Foxe (the landowner) wasd moaning because it was fishing rubbish !!!! he said that the bream usually move from the Lough to the River for a clean after spawning and if you could catch it when this was happening then 300 pounda day was SERIOUSLY opn the cards, i saw the photos from the year before. Another placeto try is the canal at Mullingar, top tench fishing eith up to 20 in a session. Also you could try the hot water stretch at Lanesboro, the only thing isd that this place is very busy with local kids so ghet there early catch till lunch then go somewhere else. hope ypou enjoy it. I am going to Portumna next week and am hoping for some bream on derg ... we shall see.

Devizes Tench Machine

Steve M

Site Supporter
Hi Slider,
I am going to Tom Foxe's place in September with two friends. Do you have any tips for either Lough Ree or the Inny.Are we still going to catch as well in September?
As a strange twist of fate I fished Lough Derg last year. We stayed at Ballyshrule Lodge. If I can be of any help ,just leave a post, and I will help as best I can
Cheers.[:)][:)]
quote:Originally posted by slider

if you are willing to travel a bit then try Athlone. Its the Inner lakes you want next to the Dog and Duck pub (everyone round there knows whereit is) if you fancy some river fishing then go to the river Inny at Inny bay,the river enters logh Ree and the guy who owns the farm has built some stages to fishfrom, it costs 3 euro and i had over 300 pounds out of there last year in under 10 hours. All hybrids at around 2-3 ound with the odd sample to 5 pounds. The thing is that when we aree there Tom Foxe (the landowner) wasd moaning because it was fishing rubbish !!!! he said that the bream usually move from the Lough to the River for a clean after spawning and if you could catch it when this was happening then 300 pounda day was SERIOUSLY opn the cards, i saw the photos from the year before. Another placeto try is the canal at Mullingar, top tench fishing eith up to 20 in a session. Also you could try the hot water stretch at Lanesboro, the only thing isd that this place is very busy with local kids so ghet there early catch till lunch then go somewhere else. hope ypou enjoy it. I am going to Portumna next week and am hoping for some bream on derg ... we shall see.

Devizes Tench Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.