Ireland in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Mac

Three of us are off to fish for a week at Ballyconnell in May. I need some inside information to give me a head start on the other two. Can anyone help me with where to fish, but best of all how to fish? Do I take my trusty pole? or is it all rod work. I hear stories of 4 gramme pole floats and feeders on lakes. A point in the right direction from you experienced Guinness Quaffers would be appreciated.

Brian

G

Brain, bait, bait and more bait, pile it in mate, you can never put to much in, as for pole and float i have never used mine over there, all feeder for me,

Where are you stopping BTW, ?????????.

catch me if u can
Andy,

Brian Mac

We are staying in Ballyconnell at the Cassidy cottage. We are looking for local fishing but we are willing to travel to anywhere as long as we can catch bream, roach and hybrids. The trouble is we know nothing about Ireland and its fishing, we do not want to waste time and want to know as much as possible before we go, even down to where we are going to fish.

Brian

martin.

Account Locked
hi brian mac
i havnt fished the area your going to but ive been over for a couple of pints of the blackstuff a few times all i can say is find a few pegs that normaly produce & just stick to them ive seen a lot of anglers go over feed a hot peg 1 night not do very good next day
& then feed another swim that eve & move on.
it can take 2 or 3 days to get a decent amount of fish going in even a hot peg.
Myself for 1 week i would expext to use 50kilo of crumb,24 tins of sweetcorn,7 kilo hemp, 12 pints red 6 pints white, 8 pints caster, 1kilo red worm, 7 bags bream 3000, 7 bags explosive feeder & probably 1 gal liquid molases for 1 week

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

MALC

Martin,

Your a man after my own heart [;)]

Only been once and that was to Carrick but it was brilliant fishing which suited my baiting.

Bait used i in the 1 weeks fishing was :

3 x 25kg sacks Brown Crumb
10 bags Bream Groundbait
10 bags Roach Groundbait
10 bags PV1
8 kg Pure Molasses
10 kg Turkey Pellets
24 tins Corn
12 pints Caster
8 pints Red Maggot

Best day was on a small feeder stream in to a loch when i took 124lb 12oz of Roach on the stick float in 5hours.
And feed a BIG BALL of groundbait every chuck.

Hope to go back over again 1 day.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

scouse

'River Man'
hi brian
if you prebait
the night before
put a stake in the peg
saying
please leave prebaited,and any angler that gets there
before you will leave it alone(well most will)
so you can fish your prebaited peg
if you like river fishing
email me and i will tell you were to go
for some cracking roach in coothill
its about40min drive from were your staying[:D]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

scales

Vinny
Hello Malc, Wot are Turkey pellets ?? and do you think they made a difference. Does anyone know where I can get Calf Nut Pellets, I've read a lot about them but can't actually get them anywhere.

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

scouse_lee

evertonian
brian, the place you are going to over looks a lake called cuilligan the lake has stages scattered around the lake and as long as weather permits (it didnt last year) you could do really well with your pole again pile in the bait only problem are the pike..

i will be staying on the other side of the lake in may aswell
what date you going

Simon R

Site Supporter
Cracking roach in Cootehill Dave?

Where?

I hope you're not gonna say the Dromore below the town bridge cos last time we tried down there it was very average.

Give us a clue mate [:D]

Tight Lines

Simon

norm

the best day i had in ballyconnel was on the canal

time spent = 5 hours
method = feeder
waight caught=121 lb 12oz

bait used about 3lb of ground bait
and half pint of casters

i have been for the last 3 years and tried prebaiting lots of bait
and the result is nowt

but you have made someone plenty of monny buying all the bait

my next best waight was about 70 the next day from another peg with no prebaiting at all either

just have a drive around find out were is fishing thats were you should go the next day

as some one has spent all day prebaiting for ya

norm

it is known as the floating reed bed stretch i think

if you go over the bridge from ballyconell and turn right and then right again and drive up the road there is a big house

beside the entrance to the house there is a gate (left hand side of house gate) if you open the gate and drive down to the end of the track then get out of the car on the left of the car there should be a fence
climb the fence and walk about 200 yards up to a bend in the river

and that is the area

sorry i can not help more than that but i am rubbish at directions

your best bet would be to go to molly mquires pub or the anglers rest pub in ballyconnell and ask the fishermen that may be there
for the directions of pegs that are fishing at the time you are there

Status
Not open for further replies.