Ireland holiday gone down the pan!!!

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
Along with a lot of other worm danglers our holiday has had to be cancelled yet again so we are hopefully looking at a week some where in blighty, any ideas would be helpful, we know it could be a long shot but 1 of you gentlemen out there could help 2 ancient and 2 not so ancient foogies to have a good ending to this effing year.. Many Thanks, PAUL

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What sort of fishing and roughly what parts of the country? In a normal year I get away for a couple long weekends on various rivers so could suggest a few on that front but I've only been to a couple stillwater places.

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Hi Tallpaul, I’m in the same boat so to speak we are thinking about going the Broads late September now.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
A few of the lads I know have transferred their holidays to Northern Ireland where they can have a "knock up" between them, not as good as a 150 peg festival but needs must.
They can keep their ferry booking to Dublin and drive up the North without any restrictions as long as they do not spend the night in the South according to the ferry company.

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Ye , we thought of that too, Cancelled Gowna Twice now , but I’m wondering what will be said at the ports both Holyhead and Dublin , plus when we return , I’ve moved ours to Next May , and booked a short break on the Broads and thinking of paying for a session with Nick Larkin, been some good matches on the broads recently

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never fished in ireland but I would think the broads and their connecting rivers are as close to it as youll get here. Go summer or autumn though as the salt intrusions on the big winter tides kill the fishing.

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Cheers Silverfisher , once you’ve been to Ireland everything else comes a poor second , mid Sept for us on the Broads so should be ok .
this year will be the first time in 26 years we haven’t been , however given the position many are in with loss of income anywhere is a bonus ..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
September to October is a great time to go, after the summer rush (eg crazy amount of boats!) but before it gets cold. Some brilliant fishing to be had for roach, perch, bream etc. Is tidal a long way inland due to the flatness which is interesting but that doesnt seem to make too much difference unless its a big tide.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Irish government are due to make an announcement on Tuesday about if the next stage of the lifting of restrictions can go ahead on the 10th of August or not .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it's just a week of fishing you won't go far wrong with Lindholme Lakes, they've even got a pub and cafe/restaurant on site now.

Whisker

Site Supporter
The Irish government are due to make an announcement on Tuesday about if the next stage of the lifting of restrictions can go ahead on the 10th of August or not .

Thanks for this snippet.
Holyhead-Dublin ferry booked for 31st August and all hotels sorted. I’ve got 10 days work in Northern Ireland coming up and I’m watching government website updates very closely.

Whisker

Site Supporter
They can keep their ferry booking to Dublin and drive up the North without any restrictions as long as they do not spend the night in the South according to the ferry company.

That’s my understanding too (at the minute).

corkycat

Along with a lot of other worm danglers our holiday has had to be cancelled yet again so we are hopefully looking at a week some where in blighty, any ideas would be helpful, we know it could be a long shot but 1 of you gentlemen out there could help 2 ancient and 2 not so ancient foogies to have a good ending to this effing year.. Many Thanks, PAUL
Paul, why was your holiday cancelled and who cancelled it? Can I ask, was it booked with a tour operator? My operator has told me to wait for the Irish government's latest announcement on Tuesday before doing anything. I happen to think that it will be cancelled but at the moment I am still going.

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
Thanks for all your replies, We are looking at some where to stay with perhaps a cafe on site, cabins, caravans some where to sleep and a pub for evening meals nearby.. The broads have been mentioned and could be an idea. Reason for cancel... due to the 14 days self isolation imposed upon arrival, have been told to wait until 10th Aug to make final decision.. Just trying to think ahead ..1st week in sept we are planning for I assume a lot of worm danglers will be thinking the same so.. with there being 4 of us we may struggle we will have to wait and see...Paul

sporty

Site Supporter
All the signs are that its unlikey to change on the 10th August ,wet pubs are to remain closed and more countries have been excluded from the green list ,do hope i am wrong !

Tip_King

Our King of Clubs festival was cancelled
You have to quarantine for 24 days when you arrive in Ireland and also the word on the street is that the locals don’t want visitors coming over at the moment possibly spreading the virus

Tip_King

Loch Ken is a great place for a few days away and similar to fishing a big Irish loch.
Need to check availability though as a few festivals coming which a few of the Ireland regulars have booked on to

Simon R

Site Supporter
Lincolnshire has a vast array of, mainly, stillwater fisheries.
Most caravan sites have an onsite lake - some a lot better than others.
Some lakes are residents only, some open to day-tickets too.

I was on Waterside last month (not fishing unfortunately)

There's an onsite lake (match weights to 85lb whilst I was there - half and half bream and carp) plus the neighbouring site (Lakeside Leisure) have a main lake and three smaller ones and an onsite tackle shop.

Lots of caravans available to hire on Waterside - get one in J or V section and you're midway between the two lakes.

Simon