Ireland for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polepot

Poles
I am going to Ireland in the second week of May and it will be my first trip.

I have had many areas suggested to me and was looking for guidance before I book. The areas we have in mind are:-

Belterbut
Banagher
Lainsboro

A pro's & cons for each of these would be appreaciated.

TIA

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

EJAYAR

I have been over a couple of times in the last 3 years and really enjoyed both times.[:)][:)]
The fishing was not as good as I had expected but that is probably partly because I am not as good as I would like to think I am.[:(][:(]
Our guest house was great with excellent food and two local pubs in the village were like something out of Ballykissangel.[:eek:)][:eek:)]
We will probably go earlier in the year next time as in our week (part September part October) we learned that there was only 3 types of weather:
It's raining (normal)[:(][:(]
It's going to rain (guaranteed)[:(]
It's just stopped raining (occasional)!!![:)][?][:)]

Enjoy yourself.

G

Poles i have only fished at Belturbet mate, this year,the week before Ziptrev went, it rained every day, still tho i never blanked,[:D][:D],

Belturbet has plenty of waters to fish, no doubt Scouse will tell you the places to go,, if you decide to Belturbet that is,.

Wherever you decide to go good luck and big bags to you[^][^]

catch me if u can
Andy,

scouse

'River Man'
hi m8
go to belturbut
if you go let me know
i will give you all the info
you need[:D]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

scales

Vinny
Hello Poles, I haven't fished Lanesboro but have fished Banagher and Belturbet. They are two very different places, Banagher being very River Shannon based such as Bullock Island and Meelick Pumphouse plus the hot water stretch at Shannonbridge and plenty of other marks to try, there is also The Grand Canal for a change of scene. Try this link for more info www.shannon-fishery-board.ie which is kept up to date regularly and you can get directions to all the best pegs. As for Belturbet the fact that most Maggotdrowners who go to Ireland go here says it all !! Theres something for everyone from tiny rivers and lakes to massive loughs. Will be staying in the area myself the last week in May and it can't come quick enough. As has been mentioned before get yourself an o/s map of the area they are invaluble for the first time visitor.

Cheers,

Scales.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
I am going to belturbert on the 5th of may so if you like i can give you my mobile or arrange to meet you on the day you come over to let you know wheres fishing.
Failing that book in a decent B&B run by a decent Angler if he /she knows his or her stuff he will know where the hot spots are and will even pre bait a few swims for you if thats what's required.
Also get yourself a few Holiday brochures i use jack purchase theres lots advertized weekly in the angling papers.
Hope this helps failing all that ASK SCOUSE lol

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

scouse

'River Man'
hi al
you forgot to mention
ordinary mobiles dont
work over there[:(]
you need to be on contract
and dual band
ring your net work server
to see if they can do it for you[:D]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Dave Moore

Paste King
Nick

I have been to Belturbet, for the last 5 years in fact I met Scouse across there this year, if you are struggling for somwhere to stay I can put you in touch with a couple of ex-pats (Yorkies for that matter, but you won't hold that against them I'm sure)...Steady On

Let me know if you want more info. as I will be able to give you specific locations via email...

Cheers

DaveM

Last edited by a moderator:

martin.

Account Locked
hi nick
if you have a look at some of the older postings on ireland i think there is a bit in zippys diaries as well
im on vodaphone pay as you talk & i was getting a uk voda signal
in some of the places i was fishing near belturbet

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Jeremy Fisher

Belturbot sounds good but ive never been. I can tell you about Lanesborough though where ive been several times. Go here for cracking tench and Hybrid bags, on the hot water stretch. Fish feeder under the bridge and you could get a ton of hybrids on a good day. On the downside though, you will probably have to compete for swims and the local kids are a pain in the arse. Ive actually had stones thrown at me from the bridge before. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Nige

Polepot, I'm off to Ireland for the first time, the week after you get back, can you let us know how you get on ?[:D]

We had booked a place in Carrick -on -Shannon but we've just been told that the bloke has sold his house and moved on !!![:(!] We're now waiting to get the info on the alternative, so we could end up anywhere. I'm sure that wherever we go, it'll be great. I cant wait I've already sorted my kit out, my daughter rekons I'm a sad-act.

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

Polepot

Poles
Nige,

Were in the same boat or should I say we were in the same accommodation LOL.

POles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Nige

Have a glass of the black nectar on me and tell the barman I'll
pay when I get there the following week[;)].

Got the replacement info[:D], now were of to Ballyinamuck in County
Longford, and guess what --- its even closer to the pubs than
the original place was !!!

As well as the ledger and match rods, I've been told to take a pike rod as you can have some great sport

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

buzzer

I have fished ireland now for 30 years, what speicies are you fishing for? Bream, Tench or Rudd. Over the last few years the weather in May has affected the Tench fishing as the water temp has not been warm enough and this has been compounded by rarther alot of cold rain.
Once i know what your after then i may be able to suggest a venue.

Roppa

I've fished Ireland for at least once a year since 1969 so have fished most popular venues. Belturbet has to remain one of the most reliable venues. Although there is some good fishing to be had at Lanesborough I wouldn't fish it for a pension for the very reason Jeremy Fisher states. It's like fishing in town, nothing for me what you imagine the beauty of Irish fishing to be like. That all said, for the past 8 or so years we've been targeting Portumna. As Bukker says "It depends on what you're fishing for." But if 100lb catches of Irish Bream are your target, then you could do a lot worse. When we first started going there it was Bream or bust. The Roach and Hybrids are now colonising the area so catching now is almost guarateed, even when the Bream don't play ball. I'll be there with a party 9th-15th May. If you want any help or info just e-mail me.

Status
Not open for further replies.