Ireland 22…Who going?

YOUNGIAN

Got a week off work over Easter and thinking of going over 15-23April.We always used to go at Easter whenever it was and nearly always had good catches.Just looked at the ferry prices and WOW it’s got very expensive and then you add fuel costs,bait and road tolls but fortunately for me no accommodation as I stay with a mate.

Tip_King

Got our trip to the King of Clubs in Cavan booked for September
Booked through Active Ireland as per usual and the ferries are £261 per vehicle for the return trip. Have been the same price since our trip pre covid and last years trip

Ringe

I’m over there at Easter Ian on a family trip, but hope to get out for a session or two. I’ve often struggled at Easter with it seeming too cold for the roach, bream and hybrids and have ended up fishing for pike. Our animal health certificates for the dogs ( now as we are no longer in the EU) are costing very nearly as much as the ferry. #madness - Good luck y’all !

YOUNGIAN

I’m over there at Easter Ian on a family trip, but hope to get out for a session or two. I’ve often struggled at Easter with it seeming too cold for the roach, bream and hybrids and have ended up fishing for pike. Our animal health certificates for the dogs ( now as we are no longer in the EU) are costing very nearly as much as the ferry. #madness - Good luck y’all !
I had my best ever catch of 170lb of Roach and Hybrids in mid April on a small river quite a few years back plus numerous other great nets of fish.The tench fishing can be good too if you can get them to have a munch.I’m booked to go now on Good Friday and looking forward to it.Staying near Mohill.

Ringe

I had my best ever catch of 170lb of Roach and Hybrids in mid April on a small river quite a few years back plus numerous other great nets of fish.The tench fishing can be good too if you can get them to have a munch.I’m booked to go now on Good Friday and looking forward to it.Staying near Mohill.
In that case you’ll need to PM me mate and I’ll come and help you weigh ‘em. We arrive Good Friday for 9 nights, staying just outside Mohill - LOL

YOUNGIAN

In that case you’ll need to PM me mate and I’ll come and help you weigh ‘em. We arrive Good Friday for 9 nights, staying just outside Mohill - LOL
I arrive Good Friday too… 5:30am.If I’m out locally I may well message you if I need a hand😉

Padefc

Go every year first week in may this year missed the last 2 obviously can’t wait love the place even if the fishing can destroy you co Clare we go

dave55

What are the rules now on bait, what can you take and what can't you take to Northern and Southern ireland

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
What are the rules now on bait, what can you take and what can't you take to Northern and Southern ireland
To the best of my .knowledge live bait, i.e. maggots and worms is banned.You need an import licence to bring them in. The customs and Dept. of agriculture will confiscate them. In fact I think it also applies to ground bait as well. I am not sure about Northern Ireland.

Last edited:

scales

Vinny
We're over the first week in July staying at Cassidy cottages outside Ballyconnell and like most this trip had been booked for 3 years. We're on the Stena Line Birkenhead to Belfast where there are no checks on what your carrying but we get ours from Irish bait and tackle 👍🏻

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
We're over the first week in July staying at Cassidy cottages outside Ballyconnell and like most this trip had been booked for 3 years. We're on the Stena Line Birkenhead to Belfast where there are no checks on what your carrying but we get ours from Irish bait and tackle 👍🏻
Tight lines vinny hope you have a great trip.

scales

Vinny
Cheers Neil a couple of us were over in Cassidys last September bit of a last minute job had a good week on Brackley and Garadice looking forward returning.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Cheers Neil a couple of us were over in Cassidys last September bit of a last minute job had a good week on Brackley and Garadice looking forward returning.
Nice to hear you had good catches, never really see many pictures these days so anglers must be keeping things quiet. Sent you a pm with Glenns number.

YOUNGIAN

Any Easter reports guys?
A bit of a late report from Easter.First day fished 5-30 to 8-30 pm with a mate on a private platform out in a Shannon bay ( about 6-7ft)which had been prebaited the day before.Started with bits then hybrids to 2lb then some Bream to 5lb.We packed up whilst still catching but it was very cold out in the bay.Ended up with 19 Bream.Didnt weigh them but 70-80lb.
Day 2 went back to platform after baiting up again but fished all day this time.Slow start with Roach and hybrids then just odd good hybrids and bream through the day.13 Bream in total plus other fish.
Day 3 was wet and windy and fished locally and got cold and wet whilst not catching much.Early bath.Went to different baited spot but had 1trout.😡
Day 4Had an hour on the river at Rooskey as there were loads of Roach topping the previous evening but it was pulling very hard after rain the day before and I only took a waggler rod.Had 3 Roach but didn’t persevere as I was going back to the platform at lunchtime where I had 6 bream to 4lb,good hybrids and Roach.Pulled off half a dozen bream in the weed Close in.
Day 5 I waned a change to the feeder so I went to a section of the Shannon I’ve not been to before and had no idea of depth or anything or even if there would be any fish there.By the look of the shore it hadn’t been fished this year so was a bit of a risk.Chucked out with the feeder just to get an idea of depth and was probably about 12ft and got bites straight away from good roach.Had about an hour and a half on the tip before getting the 6m whip out(10ft).Put a few balls in and caught straight away.Nearly all roach up to 10oz.Ended up weighing 58lb.
Day 6 Back on the Shannon again.Caught straight away on the whip and was bagging for a while but as the early fog cleared and the sun came out the fish did a disappearing act.Caught on and off through the day but smaller fish ended up with 38lb.
Day 7 Back to the platform on my own this time as my mate went to a match.Now to access the platform you get in a small boat and pull yourself along a rope which was a novel way to arrive.Got a few hybrids early on before losing my first 4 bream by either pulling off them or bullying them out of the weed.Never had such hard fighting bream as these.When you got a bite it was a proper one non of the gentle plucks and taps it was round and gone🙂.As the day went on the hybrids got bigger with some near 3lb and bream up to 6lb.Used Two nets but couldn’t lift either onto the platform as I had 21 bream and 30-40 hybrids for an estimated 120lb+
Last day we went back to the platform hoping for a repeat performance but I had my doubts it would but be so good again.Despite a couple of early bream it never got going and we ended up with only 7 bream but probably the biggest one of the week near 7lb.More Roach than hybrids and at the end we struggled for a bite.But had a very enjoyable week on a couple of new venues for me.
I will put up a few pictures later.

3_rollers

Just booked 8 nights at lake avenue house in bawnboy arriving 17th Sept , Mrs thinks it's only 6 nights which gives me about 10 weeks to broach the subject 😬😬

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Booked on two festivals in the North. One feeder only, one any method.
It was hard finding self catering accommodation this time but managed to get a chalet at the Manor House complex all our normal venues were booked up with staycations.