Ireland 2020 who's going?

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
I have had 3people give me 3 different statements as regards the ruling in Ireland,.. 1. you have to self isolate when you get there and when you return 2. There is a restriction on travel distances but no self isolation there 3. it is all back to normal or as normal can be.. Can anyone on here tell me what to expect if we make our trip in September???

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Update, spoke to Stenna line this morning, all very straightforward it seems, but l have got to phone back next week to get our refund.
Going to start looking for a week at Docklow, and an extra fishing trip or two over to Yorkshire.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have had 3people give me 3 different statements as regards the ruling in Ireland,.. 1. you have to self isolate when you get there and when you return 2. There is a restriction on travel distances but no self isolation there 3. it is all back to normal or as normal can be.. Can anyone on here tell me what to expect if we make our trip in September???
The current situation is the pubs and restaurants are due to reopen on the 10th Aug. This is subject to there being no rise in the number of cases detected. People arriving in Ireland are expected to self isolate for 14 days and must provide contact details ! There are exceptions to people arriving from 14 countries known as the green list ! GB is NOT on that list ! To the best of my knowledge people arriving in Britain from Ireland do not have to self isolate !

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter

If and when the situation changes I will update this post !

Last edited:

nutmeg

Site Supporter
For us, its simply not going to be worth the time, effort and expense of travelling to ireland not honestly knowing what to expect and if we will be welcomed or not, l truely believe it would be the latter at this moment in time and for the forceiable time.

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
We are booked from the 29th Aug to the 5th Sept but if the rules do not change I think that we might have to cancel the ferry, we may not get our money back!! I will speak to our lodgings before the middle of Aug and try to get a clear picture of what the position is... fingers crossed all will be well by then..

nutmeg

Site Supporter
We are booked from the 29th Aug to the 5th Sept but if the rules do not change I think that we might have to cancel the ferry, we may not get our money back!! I will speak to our lodgings before the middle of Aug and try to get a clear picture of what the position is... fingers crossed all will be well by then..
Which ferry company have you booked with?

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
P&O out of Liverpool always been ok for us we had a cancelation from June and got a credit note for next year, so this time if we cancel it is our choice it may not be as simple as the June one.. We will have to wait and see ...

mtwales

Any news on any updates regarding travel due to go over on 18 September,so far doesn’t look too promising

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am waiting to hear the details but at the moment the pubs which were due to reopen on the 10th Aug. have been told they cannot ! Restaurants have to close by 11pm.

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
Have just been informed that our ferry...2100hrs on Friday 28th Aug has been cancelled.. so hopefully will get our money back.. looking even harder for some where here now looks like Ireland is a no go this year which would have been 35 years we think!!..

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Another review in 3 weeks, so no change, other than some green countries now removed from list.
Our trip for September 2nd very doubtful, may now wait and try for October.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Since moving into phrase 3 of the restrictions the numbers have gone steadily up. Now the government have decided not to move on to phrase 4 until Aug.31 at the earliest. If the numbers continue to rise that date may well be put back even further !

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Well thats it, we have cancelled this years trip to Ireland, and l have phoned Stenna Line and a full refund will be in my account within 7 working days. To be honest l think this is probably the most sensible, and right thing to do.
Hopefully try and get to lreland next year, and maybe have an extended stay.

corkycat

Why not re-arrange your trip and go to Northern Ireland instead? My tour operator called me this morning to confirm cancellation of my holiday in Cavan, however they quickly switched it to Enniskillen (or Irvinestown to be precise). My Stena booking from Holyhead to Dublin remains as is, but I have been told I must journey north over the border and not stay in the ROI. And if I think it about, the river I will be fishing in Enniskillen is the same river that flows through Cavan. Enniskillen may not be in southern Ireland but the fish don't know that.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
That was a possibility but we decided not to bother, and will book a trip in this country instead, mabye Docklow pools, but we will have a chat about that in the next week, hopefully.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Why not re-arrange your trip and go to Northern Ireland instead? My tour operator called me this morning to confirm cancellation of my holiday in Cavan, however they quickly switched it to Enniskillen (or Irvinestown to be precise). My Stena booking from Holyhead to Dublin remains as is, but I have been told I must journey north over the border and not stay in the ROI. And if I think it about, the river I will be fishing in Enniskillen is the same river that flows through Cavan. Enniskillen may not be in southern Ireland but the fish don't know that.
Another bonus you may not have thought of is you will not have to change your money for NI. They accept Sterling !

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
What about returning to the UK , if you decide to take up that option ?