Ireland 2020 who's going?

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
They are allowed 105 minutes and must have a meal valued at a minimum of 9 Euro. You are supposed to prebook your meal at a certain time, but it appears that it has not been enforced so far !

corkycat

You might struggle to get a refund, if your cancelling the sailing, and not the ferry company,
Have you booked the ferry crossings yourself or via a tour operator?.
I have booked sailings directly for the end of August and returning in September. Try and phone them instead of email, as l did that and got through straight away, lots of the ferry office booking staff are working from home.
It really does make a lot of sense to book through a tour operator rather that going direct to the ferry company. It saves a lot of money because they get big discounts from Stena which they pass on to us. Secondly the bookings they make are flexible and they will change them for you without penalty. Finally, if anything goes wrong - say for example a virus pandemic - you will get all your money refunded without any quibbling.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
You are only entitled to your money back if the Ferry is cancelled. If you cancel it is up to them if they refund you as a gesture of good will.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
It really does make a lot of sense to book through a tour operator rather that going direct to the ferry company. It saves a lot of money because they get big discounts from Stena which they pass on to us. Secondly the bookings they make are flexible and they will change them for you without penalty. Finally, if anything goes wrong - say for example a virus pandemic - you will get all your money refunded without any quibbling.
I agree, to an extent, but reading what scales wrote it seems that he had contacted the ferry company himself, or has attempted to, this to me implied he had made the booking directly.
I also book directly as l get virtually 50 percent concession and also more choice of sailings, if l remember correctly.
I have used various angling holiday companies over the years, mostly stress free.

scales

Vinny
Tried to cancel the ferry crossing weeks before we were due to sail but Aferry were impossible to get hold of. There website which we've used for years with no problems at all previously only offered to change the sailing or accept vouchers and not cancel. We fully understand they were/are busy dealing with people wanting the same as us but we tried endlessly to contact them by phone and never got through and our emails went unanswered so what we've done now is write to the head office showing them proof we tried to cancel the booking in plenty of time. Not heard back from them still.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I am also getting the same feeling, after seeing an interview on Sundays Andrew Marr programme with the irish prime minister, basically saying that British tourists shouldnt consider travelling to Southern ireland for the time being, and that a further statement would be made on Monday 20th July, so l will wait and see what unfolds before deciding what to do.
Only money laid out is for the ferry, but if a refund wasnt possible l would just ask for a credit note for a potential later date.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
The rules about tourists coming to Ireland are, at best, confusing ! But at this point in time, anyone coming into the country is asked to self isolate for 14 days. There has been a slight increase in the number of reported Covid 19 cases in the last week, resulting in a clawback of some of the restrictions that had been relaxed. The government are due to announce a "green list " of countries they consider safe to travel to and from, unfortunately Britain is not included on the list !

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
I think it’s looking grim to be honest , more than likely have to move it for a third time now , world pairs has just been cancelled , I can’t see anyone going TBH in 2020.

corkycat

The rules about tourists coming to Ireland are, at best, confusing ! But at this point in time, anyone coming into the country is asked to self isolate for 14 days. There has been a slight increase in the number of reported Covid 19 cases in the last week, resulting in a clawback of some of the restrictions that had been relaxed. The government are due to announce a "green list " of countries they consider safe to travel to and from, unfortunately Britain is not included on the list !
Having read these posts today I contacted my tour operator, Anglers World, and they tell me nothing has changed. British tourists can commence entry from 12th August, and that my trip on 21st August is in no danger of being cancelled. They tell me that they are in constant comms with the Irish tourist and government authorities and know of no change in the rules or regulations

sporty

Site Supporter
My understanding on this is that a green list of countries will be made public on monday 20th to which the US has already been discounted and UK is also likely to be aswell ! As it stands we are supposed to go in to quarantine for 14 days unless on arrival in Irish republic or if going to the north is no problem ,You can go into Belfast no problem no restrictions but ferry prices ridicules

corkycat

My understanding on this is that a green list of countries will be made public on monday 20th to which the US has already been discounted and UK is also likely to be aswell ! As it stands we are supposed to go in to quarantine for 14 days unless on arrival in Irish republic or if going to the north is no problem ,You can go into Belfast no problem no restrictions but ferry prices ridicules
I have a group of friends who are sailing to Belfast in two weeks time (overnight trip and expensive as you say), but they are staying in Enniskillen, about half an hour's drive from the border, which they will drive across each day and have access to every lake and river in county Cavan. They reckon that there will be nobody there to challenge them, and whilst I might disagree with what they're doing, I think they are absolutely right.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't understand how you don't agree with what they are doing but think they are right to do it ! Be sure to thank them on behalf of the Irish people for their care and consideration !

corkycat

I don't understand how you don't agree with what they are doing but think they are right to do it ! Be sure to thank them on behalf of the Irish people for their care and consideration !
Kevin, please would you take a second look at my comment as it has been taken out of context. I am not saying that they are right to do what they are doing, I am saying that they are right to assume that they will not be challenged. I abhor this as much as you do and hope that they are challenged and dealt with accordingly.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
If that is what you meant, then I apologize. The problem is they are correct in their assumption !

sporty

Site Supporter
I was told this was going on but I would rather be there legally and not be worrying about the guards pulling me over for some reason so I will wait to see what happens on monday

ben carvosso

I was driving around the bundoran / north sligo direction last few days. The amount of northern irish and uk reg cars was mind boggling. Sligo and mullaghmore has been packed with people coming across the border or through other means to visit the area.
I can see another wave of this coming sooner rather than later. The seed has been planted....
I don't think things will be back to normal until next year when a vaccine is available.
As for angling. It's a pastime that doesn't have much interaction and I don't think it's that dangerous , but it's the other parts of the holiday which is where things get sticky. Evening meals and pints and public gatherings. It's a hard one to call. Something visitors and locals don't want to deal with but are stuck with for the foreseeable

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I am going to contact Stenna line, later today and enquire about either a refund, or a credit note, to use next year, as l now believe it wont be worth the time, effort and expense of visiting ireland this year, and will most likely book a week or so at Docklow.
Also my mate who would be travelling aswell has been sent a letter from where he works, that says they are looking for volunteers to take redundancy, and is now very worried that he could very soon be unemployed.and at nearly 63 and with a mortgage to pay etc it would be a disaster for him.