Ireland 2020 who's going?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Funny I was only looking today at Loch Derg and the big hybrids? But being nearly 70 I'd worry a little about going alone, if you get my drift? I'd like to drive if I'm honest, and take al the right gear with me, rather than fly. But its a bloody long trip to the west of Ireland on your own, plus I'm not in a good health as I once was? But I do really fancy it? Maybe just dreaming at this stage, are the ferries easy to get sorted out. Derg is a big place I expect local knowledge is the key.

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Funny I was only looking today at Loch Derg and the big hybrids? But being nearly 70 I'd worry a little about going alone, if you get my drift? I'd like to drive if I'm honest, and take al the right gear with me, rather than fly. But its a bloody long trip to the west of Ireland on your own, plus I'm not in a good health as I once was? But I do really fancy it? Maybe just dreaming at this stage, are the ferries easy to get sorted out. Derg is a big place I expect local knowledge is the key.
Your correct Derg is a long drive from Dublin, and yes is a vast expanse of water, we were based in Portuma and soon found your need a boat to reach the hot spots. Bank fishing was available on Rodgers Island, mainly pole to hand on river section of Derg. Always think with any where in Ireland you need several trips to serve your apprenticeship at any one spot.
Best to find digs with owner who has local knowledge, but that's not always fruitful.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you do decide to travel by ferry give me a shout, I might be in a position to help you out !

nutmeg

Site Supporter
When l first started travelling to lreland on fishing holidays, it was usually in or around Portumna. Used to fish the Shannon on the salmon run, or Shabeen stretch, had some great times there, downstream of Portumna bridge it wasnt too far of a walk to get to some good pegs, and good parking. Wasnt too far to drive to Meelick and fish the weir swims, above and below,
Also for a change of scenery a trip to Banagher for a day fishing the river Suck. Lots of happy memories,
Some local knowledge would be a godsend for anybody going to any new area fishing there for the first time.
Great offer from Kevin, top man.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Who,s going to Ireland, will we, ours trips at start of September?
At the moment , while fishing is not banned, there is a 2 km limit on the distance you can travel from your residence. I will post on here when the restrictions are lifted.

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
Rearranged ours for the 1st week in sept hope all is well by then fingers crossed!!! ...PAUL...

corkycat

what do we all reckon the chances of a september/october trip are?
Should be fine. Fishing and accommodation is open to British anglers from mid-August, and I am going over on the 24th of August. If I were you I would get onto Anglers World holidays and get something booked (hope they give me a discount for that plug!). Of course, things could change if the Irish government reverse their decisions of the easing.

kniteforce

we've had a message from ireland that we should be ok from mid august for b&b and the bar, just pray that things keep going in the direction they seem to be now .

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Hope this is correct, as we have a provisional booking from August 27th for ten nights, as long as some bars and restaurants are open for business then we shall be going, the ferry is booked so fingers crossed. Going to phone our guest house later today to see what they intend doing, and if they intend to reopen in August.

scales

Vinny
We were supposed to be staying in Cassidys Cottages outside of Ballyconnell this week but have put it off until same time next year having a bit of a job getting the ferry money back off Aferry there not replying to our correspondence.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
We were supposed to be staying in Cassidys Cottages outside of Ballyconnell this week but have put it off until same time next year having a bit of a job getting the ferry money back off Aferry there not replying to our correspondence.

You might struggle to get a refund, if your cancelling the sailing, and not the ferry company,
Have you booked the ferry crossings yourself or via a tour operator?.
I have booked sailings directly for the end of August and returning in September. Try and phone them instead of email, as l did that and got through straight away, lots of the ferry office booking staff are working from home.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hope this is correct, as we have a provisional booking from August 27th for ten nights, as long as some bars and restaurants are open for business then we shall be going, the ferry is booked so fingers crossed. Going to phone our guest house later today to see what they intend doing, and if they intend to reopen in August.
I hope it worked out for you. Most places are opening back up now or in the very near future.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I hope it worked out for you. Most places are opening back up now or in the very near future.

Hi Kevin, everything is still going ahead for our planned visit, changed the ferry sailings without any problems, and have spoken to the guest house owners and rearranged our stay dates. They have been closed during covid, apart from an apartment that is separate from the main house where a guest has been staying due to the fact he couldnt travel to the country he came from.
I heard that pubs that served food were able to reopen last week, so thats another positive. Is it correct that customers are only allowed to stay for 90 minutes? How woud that be enforced if correct