Ireland 2020: have you paid? Will you still go?

corkycat

I would like to get an angle on what other guys are doing with regard to their Ireland bookings this year. Back in December I booked two trips to Cavan, for June and July. I paid my deposits at the time, and my balances to the travel operator are due in April and May respectively. Like everyone else at the moment I have a fear of the unknown. Should I pay my balances then find later that there is a travel ban, a lockdown, will the ferry companies suspend passenger operations, will the island of Ireland shut down, might the B&B owners close their doors? I have been refused travel insurance for obvious reasons, however the travel operator I booked with has been very reassuring about postponements, refunds, rearrangements etc. Having said that I am still reluctant to pay my balances in case it goes pear-shaped. This would mean losing my deposits - which I might later regret.

If you have a booking(s) what are your thoughts, feelings, and actions on this subject?

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Our group has had to cancel this year, but it's not for the virus outbreak. :(

Sadly I am being treated with chemo and have several rounds to go this year!

Luckily it is treatable and curable and if I get the all clear, we might be able to get off in September, but thats if the virus is all gone and travel is allowed.(y)

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would like to get an angle on what other guys are doing with regard to their Ireland bookings this year. Back in December I booked two trips to Cavan, for June and July. I paid my deposits at the time, and my balances to the travel operator are due in April and May respectively. Like everyone else at the moment I have a fear of the unknown. Should I pay my balances then find later that there is a travel ban, a lockdown, will the ferry companies suspend passenger operations, will the island of Ireland shut down, might the B&B owners close their doors? I have been refused travel insurance for obvious reasons, however the travel operator I booked with has been very reassuring about postponements, refunds, rearrangements etc. Having said that I am still reluctant to pay my balances in case it goes pear-shaped. This would mean losing my deposits - which I might later regret.

If you have a booking(s) what are your thoughts, feelings, and actions on this subject?
I would love to be able to tell you that everything will be sorted out by June and to go ahead and pay the balance. Sadly this is not the case, The situation over here is that we are expecting things to get a lot worse before they get any better. A lot of B&B owners have already stopped taking guests and I think it is only a matter of time before the rest follow suit. My advice would be to postpone your trip until you are assured by your travel agent that the crisis is over and all the services are up and running again. At the moment the country is not in lockdown but things are changing by the day. Sorry I cant be more positive !

graham turner

Site Supporter
we have trips booked to castleblaney in june and august will give it a couple of weeks then decide might mean cancelling june and see what happens nearer august.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter

Luckily it is treatable and curable and if I get the all clear, we might be able to get off in September, but thats if the virus is all gone and travel is allowed.(y)
Good luck SpenBeck!

sporty

Site Supporter

I have accomodation booked but i travel independent so i have paid any deposit but do plan to go in May assuming i am allowed to travel .I do know several festivals have been cancelled including the Classic but at the moment those a bit later in the summer are ok for now but its an on going situation which no one has ever had to deal with so we can only hope that people adhere to advice given and the Virus dissapears .

corkycat

Good on you. I'm sure that if you don't get away in September you'll be over there in 2021!

corkycat

I would love to be able to tell you that everything will be sorted out by June and to go ahead and pay the balance. Sadly this is not the case, The situation over here is that we are expecting things to get a lot worse before they get any better. A lot of B&B owners have already stopped taking guests and I think it is only a matter of time before the rest follow suit. My advice would be to postpone your trip until you are assured by your travel agent that the crisis is over and all the services are up and running again. At the moment the country is not in lockdown but things are changing by the day. Sorry I cant be more positive !
Many thanks for that insight Kevin. It may not have been what I wanted to hear, but it has given me a much clearer picture of what I may or may not be doing in the coming months.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just announced even more restriction over here. No more that 4 people in groups, unless from the same household. No unnecessary travel. All but essential shops to close from midnight. Hotels to limit the number of guests to those involved in essential work only ! So I would say your fishing trip is off sadly !

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I should be travelling to ireland the first week in June for ten nights, but obviously thats not going to happen, so in the morning l shall be getting in touch with Stenna Line to ammend my booking to sometime in September and hopefully things may have started to return to something like normal, but only time will tell, and if its not possible or feasable to travel etc, then it will have to wait till next year.

Bullmoose Jackson

I can only echo what Kevin has said. The situation over here has become more restricted since yesterday evening. No unnecessary travel, no non-essential shops open and no mixing in groups larger than four. Hotels are only taking essential guests. The police have been given powers to enforce this.

Technically, we are allowed to leave our houses as many times as we want to during the day, but on a practical level, fishing might be difficult.

On the plus side, we have been practicing social distancing for two weeks now and the growth in our number of confirmed cases has been slower than predicted. Hopefully, we will have the situation under a degree of control by mid-Summer.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
??????? ???????????? ?????? ?????-?? ??? ???????? ?? ???????
So many anglers are asking questions about when or where they can or can’t go fishing during the lockdown, so we’ve done our best to compile a summary of the guidance issued to date by the Irish Government and various authorities (some of this information still requires clarification from Government and we will update accordingly).
The 5-Phase ‘Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business’ plan, as published on May 1st, has clarified that recreational angling will be allowed again in a normal manner as of May 18th, i.e. you can go for as long as you want within your distance limit, whilst abiding by social distancing guidelines. Until then, angling will continue to be permitted as part of your daily exercise, meaning you can practice it for 1-1.5 hours per day within 2km of your home. This distance limit will increase to 5km from May 5th and increase to 20km from June 8th (see below).
Despite the relaxation of restrictions on angling and other recreational activities such as golf, angling will still be classed as n̲o̲n̲-̲e̲s̲s̲e̲n̲t̲i̲a̲l̲ ̲t̲r̲a̲v̲e̲l̲. As for all other non-essential travel, you will not be permitted to travel further than these distances to go fishing. If you don't have fishing opportunities within the 5km or 20km distance of your home then you will, unfortunately, not be allowed to go fishing until July 20th at the earliest.
???? ??????? ??? ??? – angling permitted as part of your ‘daily exercise’ (1-1.5 hours a day) within 5km of your home, following social distancing guidelines
???? ?????? ???? ??? – normal angling will again be allowed (no time restrictions) but only within 5km of your home, following social distancing guidelines
???? ?????? ??? ???? – angling allowed but only within 20km of your home, following social distancing guidelines
???? ?????? ???? ???? – angling allowed as normal, with no distance restrictions, following social distancing guidelines
Irish angling licence and permit sales have been suspended and Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) has closed all state managed fisheries. Currently, all waters managed by the ESB and Waterways Ireland are also closed for recreational activities, including angling. Angling is also not permitted inside large parks or reserves. We await clarification as to when these venues will re-open but it may be from May 18th onwards.
??????? ????????? (classed as ‘outdoor public amenities’) appear to be permitted to reopen to customers from May 18th onwards, but customers must follow the distance-from-home guidelines relevant to them (cannot visit if outside your 5/20km limit) and owners must ensure social distancing guidelines are adhered to. Reopening of Irish fisheries will likely be on a case-by-case basis and at the discretion of the owners so please contact them for clarification.
??????? ???????????? are likely to be severely disrupted for the coming months and the latest guidance suggests that it could be July 20th onwards before competitive ‘sporting activities’ are allowed again (soccer, GAA, fishing etc.). We await further clarification on this.
Some ?????? ????? (non-essential retail outlets) are likely to be allowed to reopen their doors to the general public as of Monday June 8th whilst following strict social distancing guidelines. Please support your local tackle shop if you can during these difficult times.
Please remember that, as with all COVID-19 guidance, these dates and guidelines as part of the Irish Government’s Roadmap plan are subject to review and change over the coming weeks and months. We will help clarify any guidance from Inland Fisheries Ireland or other relevant bodies in due course. Hopefully you can go fishing soon. Either way, stay safe.
The 'Roadmap' document can be read here: https://assets.gov.ie/…/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf
The restrictions on fishing and other recreational activities in Northern Ireland are stricter to that of the Republic, with no angling permitted as part of ‘daily exercise’. All forms of angling are effectively not permitted under current restrictions in Northern Ireland, with rod licence sales suspended and with all waters falling under Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA), the Loughs Agency and NI Water closed to angling. No specific plan similar to the Irish Government’s ‘Roadmap’ has been issued to date for the UK and NI. Please consult with the NI Direct, Loughs Agency, DAERA and the Angling Trust for up to date guidance and restrictions on recreational angling in UK and NI waters.

3 Comments

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some good news today. The restrictions are being lifted at a faster rate than had been expected !

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
The 20 km travel limit has been extended to include anywhere within you county ! All retail shop to reopen on Monday ! The Restaurants and pubs serving food can reopen from the end of June. Not sure what this means o tourism but as the news comes in I will update ! Or people can check by logging on to www.gov.ie