Ireland 2019

TALLPAUL

Site Supporter
Just booked, sailing from Liverpool 7th June for a week around Killeshandra staying with Steve and Pauline at Hawthorn lodge Milltown. anyone else going then??

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
I'm going over on the 7th until the 22nd with Andy, Alan, Bobby and Thomas from Germany. Staying in Tom's apartment in Killeshandra.

Tonybacca

Just booked, sailing from Liverpool 7th June for a week around Killeshandra staying with Steve and Pauline at Hawthorn lodge Milltown. anyone else going then??
hi mate we go over on the 7 to the 14 having a change from killy this year been there for last 10 years.so going up to beltuerbet. fancy having a go at the waters up there. any hot spot tips would be good. we are staying at church view it comes highly recommended. have you been up there? like the look of the river erne. and there is one or two nice looking loughs up there. but then they all look good its just knowing whats fishing.like i say any tips would be appreciated.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Going later this year, July instead of May. Staying at Enaghan self catering near Gowna, stayed there in 2017 and enjoyed the fishing on their private shore, hopefully we can latch onto some of the hybrids that live there.

Pigmeal

Going later this year, July instead of May. Staying at Enaghan self catering near Gowna, stayed there in 2017 and enjoyed the fishing on their private shore, hopefully we can latch onto some of the hybrids that live there.
Better going later in year ,gives the weather time to settle

baldpaul

Site Supporter
What I meant is July is better than may
Knew what you meant mate👍. Last year (May) was a struggle, so we decided to hold out a few weeks and travel later, taking the advise of some of the posters on here. That said we have had good results in May in the past (Lucky?), but last year was awful.

Pigmeal

We never did as well at inisscarra in sept or Oct strangely ,always better in July or August

swimmer

hi mate we go over on the 7 to the 14 having a change from killy this year been there for last 10 years.so going up to beltuerbet. fancy having a go at the waters up there. any hot spot tips would be good. we are staying at church view it comes highly recommended. have you been up there? like the look of the river erne. and there is one or two nice looking loughs up there. but then they all look good its just knowing whats fishing.like i say any tips would be appreciated.
When u get there look up John heys he lives in belturbet and will know where's fishing he's been there for 40 years now

tincaboy2

was looking at the specimen awards for 1977, Lanesborough really was a mecca for Bream, I wonder if anyone on here fished there during those heady days 11666

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
We went around 2000 and nearly all the bream had gone. What we had though was several 160lb catches of Roach and Hybrids all on the whip. Fantastic fishing. always went first bank holiday in may. Also the stick float fishing on the Inny and red and white bridge was awesome,

tincaboy2

Between 1990 and 1996 there was several big fish kills on the Shannon, mostly the Bream shoals suffered. The Central Fisheries board as it was at the time and marine biologists from NUIG who were drafted in to examine the dead bream by they never really found out the cause , but i've read that they didnt believe it was a disease as many people thought at the time, having seen first hand slurry being emptied into the shannon and dead bream resulting from ot it's fairly clear to me that it was pollution in some form that was the main cause. I do think though that the shannon has turned a corner as far curbing human and industrial pollution, the farming side still has to be tackled though especially fertilisers and slurry spreading close to the river

Mut

Hi Tinca,
I used to tag along as a youngster on these trips to the hot water stretch,
John & Neil Mills are my uncles,
The night fishing at Lanesborough was certainly prolific during the 70s.
Have sent you a Message, if you need any info, I will help all I can 👍

Mut

With regards to the specimen awards list, the catches on bread was purely down to cost.
The fish came from Lough Ree every night through the cut & down into Lanesborough ( at exactly the same time )
I couldn't even imagine the weight of fish in these shoals, but to stop them in their tracks & keep them grazing,
It had to go in by the dustbin load ( kind bakery in Athlone )
Fresh loaf for the flake, cheap fishing.

tincaboy2

hello Mut, thanks for the replies, there were some huge catches from the cut , again as you said it was during the late evening and through the night, it's only accessible by boat. even during the late 90's it was still producing when the hot stretch was starting to get patchy. end of April into the first few weeks of May as the bream moved up river getting ready to spawn. your uncles certainly had the best of Lanesborough back in the 70's

Rickb

Me and the Mrs are going to Ballyconnel for the first time this year, 22nd of June for two weeks.
We have been to Drumshanbo the last two years but fancied a change, luckily the Mrs fishes so all good.
Any advice on the area would be gratefully received as it being virgin territory for us.