Ireland 2018

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Have any of the regular visitors to Ireland ever used pigeon conditioner as a particle addition to their groundbait/pre-bait, if so was it a success?. Im thinking about taking some over next time to give it a go.

bb1970

BB
Originally posted by scales

Thanks Stu I'll say hello for you, not been there before BB been
promising ourselves to head down that way for years and finally
got round to it and certainly will be trying Goldens bar thanks for the heads up [:)]

Vinny, Breda will make sure you are all well fed and watered, if your'e lucky she might bring you down some of her legendary toasted sarnies and coffee!
[:T]

explosive

Site Supporter
I have travelled with Dave, ferry only most off the times at very good prices. I found his accommodation quite reasonable too. Sorry to read that he may not be up to scratch. I hope it is not going pear shape as it did with LEISURE ANGLING which he ran all those years ago. I can't see the euro ever getting back to its old levels, for calculating purposes i call it 1.00 = E1.00.

This is my opinion. I know the Harbour masters stretch quite well, keep clear of the canal !, the europeans fished it out. (ask Matt Hayes ). Downstream of the lock gates, on the Harbour Masters house bank, where the Shannon meets the river Brosna some very good roach are to be had, on the opposite bank walk up the Brosna a few hundred yards or so, good roach fishing, prebait overnight will help, don't waste your time fishing for bream.

BaccaT

hi guys.has anyone ever fished ballymagauran lough or the river blackwater that flows into it. brian bohan in his book irish dreams says its not very appealing but there are some good fish in it.has anyone had a go at it[?][:T]

explosive

Site Supporter
Hi BaccaT, i can help you out here. We fished this lake last year, June time. when you get to the village of Ballymaguaren ( Ballymagovern). There is a track at the north end of the lough, take this track, drive as far as you can go ! eventually you will come to a vehicle park. Ahead of you will be some gates which are usually closed, this is as far as we went, We fished the lough at the car park for convenience sake. Bear in mind that there is no deep water here, about 18inches or so, nevertheless we caught well all the time on Maggots and groundbait, nothing big, can't say we bagged up, but we had a couple of pleasant days fishing. Fish between the weed beds, we did not fish too far out, paternoster and lead, chucked in small balls of groundbait, little and often as they say!. Roach and small Skimmers. perch. The reason we finished up on this lough was because Garradice was chock a block with anglers, what was left, was the swims with steep banks not for me.
Thats about it Bacca

BaccaT

thanks explosive for getting back.sounds good for us its just me and the wife. we are not looking to crack any pots.just a few fish now and again will do fine brian says theres some good tench in and 18 inch of water is plenty for them so maybe a bit of corn might bring them on.if its a nice day whats not to like.thanks again mate.[:)][:)][:)]

YOUNGIAN

Three weeks today and I will be heading off again to Mohill area of Leitrim.Had some good catches over the same period In the last few years.

Ringe

Site Supporter
Originally posted by YOUNGIAN

Three weeks today and I will be heading off again to Mohill area of Leitrim.Had some good catches over the same period In the last few years.
Hi Ian, things are well behind around there this year due to a very cold start to the year (one of the coldest March) on record apparently? I was over there last week and the vegetation looked more like winter, certainly no sign of things bursting into life. Strong and cold winds, with plenty of East in them, made it very uncomfortable. Hope things pick up by the time you go and keep us updated on your adventures [:T]

scales

Vinny
Have any of the regular visitors to Ireland ever used pigeon conditioner as a particle addition to their groundbait/pre-bait, if so was it a success?. Im thinking about taking some over next time to give it a go.
I use it in all my fishing even over in Ireland particularly in prebait it defo works as an attractant plus I top it up through the feeder (y)

baldpaul

Site Supporter
I use it in all my fishing even over in Ireland particularly in prebait it defo works as an attractant plus I top it up through the feeder (y)
Cheers Vinny, we"ll give it a go and blame you if we fail...........

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
When are you over Vinny? Norfolk broads for us in September catching skimmers:eek::eek: Back to Holland next May.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Cheers Vinny, we"ll give it a go and blame you if we fail...........
Don't forget to soak it before use or it'll float
We took a big plastic dustbin with us - you know the ones with the snap on lids - we used one batch and put another load in the bin to soak.
I don't remember exactly why but we ended up not needing it and completely forgot it was sat in the corner of the garage.:oops:

The seeds started to ferment, the pressure in the dustbin increased and increased until the lid blew off and propelled seeds right across the garage:eek:
We had a bit of sweeping up to do that night
We tipped the swept up seeds at the waters edge for the local wildlife to eat - it was noticeable the following year how numerous the pigeons were on the same venue:p

Simon

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Brilliant!. I would imagine the pigeons were all in tip top condition as well. Thanks for the advice, I’ll post a full report on our return.

GUCANGLER

Going 29th June, seacat from Holyhead to Dublin,just under two hours, staying in Ballyconnell with Francis, just phone direct to book

tincaboy2

I fish the area around Shannonbridge all year round and would not recommend going in April or May, you might get lucky if you time your trip over when the run of roach is occurring just prior to spawning, but it's going to happen later than normal this year, i'd say it will be the 1st week of May and then unfortunately after the roach spawn there's a bit of a lull as they clean off. As you head into the summer months the bream, hybrids and tench fishing doesn't really get going until late june. with Mid to late August probably the best time of year to be fishing the mid to low Shannon river for quality fish, preferably not during settled weather with bright sunny days, unless you don't mind very early morning or night fishing, fishing during the day in these conditions can be hard. it's amazing though how the Shannon comes alive during the day when the whether is unsettled during August and into early September and it always surprises how anglers take their fishing holidays in Ireland either during the spring or in late September and ignore the summer months.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
I fish the area around Shannonbridge all year round and would not recommend going in April or May, you might get lucky if you time your trip over when the run of roach is occurring just prior to spawning, but it's going to happen later than normal this year, i'd say it will be the 1st week of May and then unfortunately after the roach spawn there's a bit of a lull as they clean off. As you head into the summer months the bream, hybrids and tench fishing doesn't really get going until late june. with Mid to late August probably the best time of year to be fishing the mid to low Shannon river for quality fish, preferably not during settled weather with bright sunny days, unless you don't mind very early morning or night fishing, fishing during the day in these conditions can be hard. it's amazing though how the Shannon comes alive during the day when the whether is unsettled during August and into early September and it always surprises how anglers take their fishing holidays in Ireland either during the spring or in late September and ignore the summer months.
Dare I ask what the water levels are like at the moment?. I’m in Cootehill towards the end of May for a week.

YOUNGIAN

Going over tonight near Mohill so I will try and report back how the fishing is going over the week and water levels.