Iran admit

baboboy

Site Supporter
I hope the UN now throw the book at them. All the lost souls because someone was trigger happy.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Slightly different circumstances. Iran shot down a plane, that had just taken off from one of its main airports and was only 15 miles from the airport, following the same flight path as most of the other 10 aircraft, which had taken off from the same airport, in the previous 6 hours and the same one as the aircraft which had left about 45 minutes before it. It would have still been talking to Tehran ATC and "squawking" whatever transponder code the ATC had asked them to. So the story that Iran are putting out, that it veered of course and approached a sensitive site is rubbish.

PhotoPictureResizer_200111_053558768_crop_1080x1627.jpg

This would be the same as our military, using Rapier to shoot down a passenger plane that had left Heathrow, over Maidenhead, or one that had left Leeds/Bradford, over Leeds.
If it was a Tor missile that was used it only has a range of 6-7 miles, so was very close by.

Last edited:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
As for Israel in 73 they shot down a Libyan airliner that was in their airspace,refused to follow instructions to land and proceeded on a direct course.

Considering the Arab/Israeli tension at that time with war and plane hijackings by Corbyn's friends - they did exactly the same as we would have done.

Iran however just blew it out of the sky and without warning.

corkycat

Their lies so far:

1. Pilot error
2. Engine failure
3. Engine caught fire
4. It was trying to turn back
5. There was an explosion on board.
6. It must have struck a drone.
7. We may have accidentally downed it
8. Actually we didn't.
9. We may have done so.
10. Actually we did; sorry.

I don't know how these people have the effrontery to call themselves religious. The Islamic Republic of Iran is governed by men who wouldn't recognise the word "truth" if it slapped them accross the face.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
No I did say Corbyn's friends as far easier than naming a list of terrorist organisations.
People know who is meant now.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Their lies so far:

1. Pilot error
2. Engine failure
3. Engine caught fire
4. It was trying to turn back
5. There was an explosion on board.
6. It must have struck a drone.
7. We may have accidentally downed it
8. Actually we didn't.
9. We may have done so.
10. Actually we did; sorry.

I don't know how these people have the effrontery to call themselves religious. The Islamic Republic of Iran is governed by men who wouldn't recognise the word "truth" if it slapped them accross the face.
Must admit, I don't think for one second, that they started the day with the intention of shooting down a civilian airliner. No doubt there was a lot of miscommunication and human error, which ended up with some bloke pressing the button. I'm sure there will be interviews without coffee for all those involved, which most probably has a slightly more sinister meaning in Iran, than it does here.
Their dealing with the crash site after the event, does, however need some explaining. I get the feeling they looked at the evidence, decided they weren't going to get away with it, and only then put, their hands up.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
290 Iranian civilians died when their Airbus was shot down over Iran by the USS Vincennes in 1989. The American response was to welcome the ship home as war heroes. This was the event that was widely believed to be behind the Lockerbie bomb.

At least Iran claimed they made a mistake

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If you intend to go searching for info to make a point it's always good to get your facts right.
It was 1988 and as is the norm with you the full story is distorted or selectively omitted.

Vincennes had made ten attempts to contact the aircraft on both military and civilian radio frequencies, but had received no response.
We as any other military force in the same situation would have done the same.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you intend to go searching for info to make a point it's always good to get your facts right.
It was 1988 and as is the norm with you the full story is distorted or selectively omitted.

Vincennes had made ten attempts to contact the aircraft on both military and civilian radio frequencies, but had received no response.
We as any other military force in the same situation would have done the same.

No "WE" dont

our airspace is commonly intruded on by military jets that we attempt to contact by radio, but recieve no response

cant recall any being shot down or fired upon though

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
As soon as UK airspace is invaded some form of response be it defence batteries or jet scrambling (the norm) will be activated.
From that a decision on the next stage will be made.

This is standard practice for all NATO countries and I am sure Chervil will explain Sky Sabre far better than I can.