iPhone Battery

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've got an iPhone SE, few years old now. Over the last few days on plugging it into my iMac it kept connecting then disconnecting when trying to charge it. So I swapped the cable over to a new one and that seemed to fix it.

My phone charged overnight.

100% battery this morning but on getting to the bank it had ran out of battery. No worries I thought, this happens quite often, loosing it's charge when in a no signal area. So I plugged it into my battery pack but this did not charge it. The phone only turned back on when I got back to my car and plugged it in there.

It charged to 100% in the car but when I unplugged it and got it into the house it started saying 1% battery so I've plugged it back into my iMac and now it's hanging on 10% charged. It won't charge past 10%.

Any ideas what's going on? Do I need a new battery?

rudd

Site Supporter
Any phone battery by any company lasts two years max.
I phones loose charge, wont charge or turn off when cold!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've heard that they're time bombed to make you buy a new phone!

rudd

Site Supporter
I've heard that they're time bombed to make you buy a new phone!
You can turn off loads of background settings that are not needed to save battery ir switch to low battery mode 😉

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'll try that, cheers. It's been going for a while. I use my phone for work, taking loads of photos, so that's why I've needed the battery pack recently which has worked so far but the recent problems seemed to have happened after I installed a few updates.

carphauler

Roachhauler
The wife's iPhone 10 xs bricked after the last ios update, Apple store couldn't fix it, took it to the service provider shop, bloke fixed it, then it bricked again after a few days, took it back to him and now it's fixed free of charge , been working a few weeks with no problems,Apple wanted around £600 to replace.

davylad

Site Supporter
That's strange, I've had quite a few phones over the years, and not once have I had to replace a battery. The last ones were, iphones 4 5 and at present 6s.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Apple do seem to kill their phone batteries after about 4 years. It happened to both my previous ones but as I’m only about a year into my current one I hope it’s got a bit of life in it yet. I need to get better at timing the upgrades before they start to fail though lol

H T B

Site Supporter
Recently I’ve been having a few problems with my IPhone 6s, however, each time it has been in the cold on the golf course.
Watched a utube vid about reducing the background stuff going on that should improve battery life.
I’ll find out in the morning🤔
(The vid was by ex Apple engineers )
Phone is 18 months old

stikflote

Site Supporter
IM sure Apple did have a recall on batterys ,it was their policy to downgrade batterys,so make people buy new phones

If im right they had fix batterys for £20, i might be wrong though

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What is your battery health in %
Go to
Settings
Battery
Health.

Says 90% capacity.

It's charged up overnight plugged into my iMac but I'm yet to unplug it which is when the problems started yesterday. I'm going to take it on a job today and see how it holds up.

62tucker

Site Supporter
90% is good
mine says service now. Was on 75% so guess I need a new battery. iPhone 7.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Big fiddle. My last cellphone's battery gave up the ghost. Every 'phone repair shop in the town, "it's not possible to change the battery". So now I have a new cellphone.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have an SE Zerkalo. I’ve had it a very long time now. The only issue I have is when I’m winter fishing then I have to plug it into my external battery pack. About 10 to 15 quid off eBay. Think Wise Owl recommended that. 👍

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Two things are to turn of your background stuff that runs all the time. I didn't know this until daughter showed me and I had tons of the stuff. And it doesn't go away when you turn your phone off. Just waits for you to turn it back on and then carries on. So close them all down properly.

Secondly I was told years ago by Apple that you should periodically let your battery go flat and keep turning it on until it goes into discharge mode and it totally dead. You cannot keep charging a half charged battery and expect it to work to it's optimum.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I will have a look at those things. I charged my phone before I left my house for this 'viewings' job, don't need to use my phone for it, but by the time I had driven 30 mins to the property and got out my car the battery had gone down to 1%. Plugged it into my battery pack and it charged this time but think I'm going to have to be looking at a new phone as I need to use it for work.