Invoicing Labour

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not the political Labour for a change, but labour as in man power, or should that be Person power?

Here's a question for you - when invoicing clients by the hour/day, what is the correct terminology for the following:

Labour (Day Rate) .. ... Description - Day rate per man

Should it be per person or is per man still okay these days?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Err on the side of caution and put per person. You never know who it's going in front of. Maybe a snowflake that's a loose canon?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not the political Labour for a change, but labour as in man power, or should that be Person power?

Here's a question for you - when invoicing clients by the hour/day, what is the correct terminology for the following:

Labour (Day Rate) .. ... Description - Day rate per man

Should it be per person or is per man still okay these days?

unit, its one unit

Wise Owl

Account Locked
2 x Plasterers @ (rate) and if they dont like it, well Humbug ;)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Dont get Cash jobs Now, the Builders might get a bit but when it gets to us its Invoice.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've never been called a 'Unit' before, been called all sorts of other names though lol

I've gone with 'person' that way I/we can be what we identify with at the time (non-gender specific :D )

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've never been called a 'Unit' before, been called all sorts of other names though lol

I've gone with 'person' that way I/we can be what we identify with at the time (non-gender specific :D )

firm I worked for always maintained a record of on site times, the signing in book was the bible, if you didnt sign in or out, you wasnt there, full stop, all trades and labour knew this

each hour per person was a unit, so depending on how many hours spent on site, that was units per day

subbys had to supply thier price per trade per unit

was tallied up each week by the agent and signed by the subby, then submitted for payment by the office staff

the only other method was all in price work, costing submitted

Wise Owl

Account Locked
firm I worked for always maintained a record of on site times, the signing in book was the bible, if you didnt sign in or out, you wasnt there, full stop, all trades and labour knew this

each hour per person was a unit, so depending on how many hours spent on site, that was units per day

subbys had to supply thier price per trade per unit

was tallied up each week by the agent and signed by the subby, then submitted for payment by the office staff

the only other method was all in price work, costing submitted

I did work on a site like that and had a price in, they questioned the hours against the price at the end of the job, don’t think they understood it’s not the hours worked it’s the work done in them hours ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
our system mate worked thus

the trade would put either a full price labour only in

or a full price labour plus materials

or a price per trade hour worked (commonly known as a day rate)

this was agreed with the contracts managers and QS before the start

if you had priced and had an agreement, that was it, unless there was exenuating cicumstances that either held the job up, or possibly inclement weather, the trades would deal with the foreman first who would then inform the site manager

day rates were normally only for unskilled-labourers, or for minor works and snagging

though like i said before, unless you had signed in and out, you were not on site

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
just use a partcode and a number of units, cannot upset anyone that way

we try to stick to a simply total figure for the project and say Professional Services 1 unit total £XXXX and not indicate the number of days, can be a risk to the business if we underestimate but the customer understands that we hide a plus figure within the cost, i.e. 20 days i will put a price for 25 days in to allow for overrun on the project and if we underrun then happy days as the business makes more but if the customer wants a per day cost we say its Professional Services indictative number of X days at £XXX per day (customer to be invoiced final number of days at the end of the project)

Professional Services always sounds good

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I think the signing in and out mate was for the fire check, it was a office refurb.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Moat of my work at the moment is an agreed rate per day.
It works out slightly less than eight times my hourly rate but then again there can be no quibbling over tea breaks, early finish, or even working over to some degree,, as long as the hours balance out

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Heard a Funny one this Avvy when i was dropping the Tools of at Mondays Job, i asked where the Joiner was ? to be Told he had gone for his Hair Cutting, the Boss said im gonna give him a ballocking when he gets Back, he arrived back and the Boss said get yer Hair cut in yer own time not in work time, the Joiner answer, It ******** Grows in work time so go Humbug ;)

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I met a plumber this afternoon who is a right cock. Got told beforehand he likes to shake and crush hands. Ive never seen a man wince like he did when he shook mine :D