Internet security worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

I installed Norton Anti Virus with built in Firewall last night and while(innocently) surfing, kept seeing the Security Icon flashing. I checked the log and this afternoon alone, I see 28 attempts to access my computer without my authority. One attempt to insert a Trojan horse virus program (my fault by naively trying to download a game from a supplier who has some ulterior motive).

This is shocking. I never would have had no idea this was going on if it weren't for the events log.

It just goes to show you really have no idea what people are up to out there or what they are after from your PC.

DJ.gif

norm

some of the events may just be spy-were
but there are some bad ones like backoriface or netbus etc
after a while you will get less and less attacks
i don't get any now
but at first was getting 5 or 6 aday

have you got lavasoft ad-aware
this will get rid of maybe hundreds of spy programmes sending information back to companies about which sites you go on

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Micoshaft [;)] is also responsible for a lot of the hacks you are seeing. You'll be suprised as to how often Windows, I.E., and several of their programs check for updates, become blipped from outside, send and receive feedback. Possibly why Windows XP's inbuilt firewall allows M'shafts software access by default [8D]

Quite a few other programs will also use your connection for various updates, registration checks, etc so mainly there isn't a lot to be concerned about and you'll find that it will settle down eventually.

Its a good idea to install and use a Spyware detection program like Adawares though. You can find it in the 'Freebies' section

great innit lol

Dave

Beebs

I have installed the Spy ware program. Maybe I should run it more often to clean all the rubbish out of the memory.

Larry

Lazarus
Dave , just reinstalled Lavasoft Ad a Ware after having my computer down it revealed 137 spyware ads &5 registry files, just deleted them all.
Thanks for jogging my memory i'd forgotten to re install

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

norm

larry please have a look at who jogged your memory it was me not that leeds kid (lol)

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Some People Want All The Credit

Stu

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
stu BAD score today m8. At least my team forced Liverpool to a draw at their ground. (WITH A MANAGER LEEDS SACKED)LOL...Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Last edited by a moderator:

norm

hijack

just aswell it is in the clubhouse (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.