International moves

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Does anyone know of a reputable, reasonably priced, removal company. Our furniture is in storage in Skegness and they have quoted £4200 plus VAT to take our stuff over to Southern Ireland. Our new home is approximately 20 minutes from Rosslare harbour and our stuff is in 8 wooden crates approximately 10ft x 10ft x 8ft high. I thought the quote was very high but I have no frame of reference as I have never done anything like this before. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Our first move was from Scotland to southern France and cost £3,600 . It was a husband and wife team, based in France. We supplied the labour in Scotland and they supplied the labour in France. That was some years ago, though.
Best advice is look for the small family firm rather than a large international firm and make sure that there is no arguments about what is included.
Our last move to this house was the worst, when we got here the guys informed me that they wouldn't be carrying anything upstairs. They were 3 eastern Europeans who had sub contracted to a UK company called European International. They had no idea what they were doing and were on a derisory day rate. TBH I felt sorry for them. My contact was with the UK outfit and after a couple of phone calls the stuff got carried upstairs, but it should never have happened

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave, Just a thought but if you haven't already, it may be worth contacting any Haulage/Removal companies local to where you are moving to and seeing if they could provide a quote. They may be competitive if it could provide them with a return load. ;)

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
A friend of mine has a removals firm and does many jobs over to Ireland. I could give you his number for you to have a chat if you want. Great bunch of lads.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
A friend of mine has a removals firm and does many jobs over to Ireland. I could give you his number for you to have a chat if you want. Great bunch of lads.
Could you PM it to me please mate

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you tried this...

Basically you register, post the details, and hauliers come back to you with quotes

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I second Dave’s suggestion. I’ve used Shiply a few times over the years and you can usually get a good price. You would at least get a bunch of quotes.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
8 wooden crates approximately 10ft x 10ft x 8ft high

I think this is going to be your stumbling block re prices as the majority of curtain-sided trailers are approx 2.5m wide and at best just over 6m long, so you could be looking at 4 curtain side wagons
If you went for an artic trailer you are still looking at only 13m overall length which is still 2 artics and again the 3m width is going to be a problem

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only thing I can suggest is it might be cheaper to get it delivered to Pembroke and try contact Nolan Transport in New Ross. They might have a truck or two coming over !

Head Office, Oaklands, New Ross, Co. Wexford Y34 X335, Ireland. sales @ nolantransport.com. +353 (0)51 421965. +353 (0)51 422808. View on Google Maps.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Or without trying to be funny, do you really need to bring that amount of stuff with you ? Maybe think about cutting it down to the bare minimum, and use the money saved to buy new over here. The money you get from the sale of some of it might even offset the cost of bringing the rest over !

62tucker

Site Supporter
Account Locked
How many of the 8 crates is fishing gear as I sure you won’t need it all.
Honestly wouldn’t know what I would be taken over there on a move.
Wouldn’t probably take furniture or beds etc or white goods.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Dave

The crates they are packed in are storage boxes, designed specifically to stay within a storage warehouse, not for international movement.Have a look at how much air is inside the storage cases, that you will be paying to ship. I would look at re-packing them them either palletised or for larger items on bases / skids.

I know it's where they are located, but Skegness is not a hive of industry, so you will be paying extra for an artic to travel out to it, Have you considered re-packing have a look at this company in Boston DPH Removals

No need to thank me............we just want to make sure you go.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rudd

Site Supporter
With an intl movement company you are paying labour, loading, unloading, insurance, transport, fuel, ferry etc.
Price is all in and they put stuff where you want it.

If you arrange your stuff as freight, it will need loading onto trailers (with a fork lift), unloading at other end (doubt you will have a fork lift) and you will be stung with demurrage as you normally get an hour - up to three with a full load to get your freight off trailer.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the help folks, I have received loads of quotes but they have all been around the £8000 mark!!! The original quote is now looking not bad. I did have one quote from a company called 'Removal Buddies' which undercut everyone else by several thousand pounds. I am thinking of the old adage "if it seems too good to be true it probably is". Has anyone ever used them? they operate out of the Coventry area.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Hire a couple of 7.5ton box vans for a long weekend and me and the not so Wise One will go get it with a couple of lads, drive it over, deliver it, help you unpack and take the vans back :D

That is a fantastic offer mate and I would take you up on it like a shot if it wasn't for the CV19, visitors to Ireland have to isolate for 14 days. When the epidemic is over you and Wisey will be coming over for 14 days fishing, Winston and Albert as well. Be warned, we have never had visitors who have put on less than a stone in a fortnight, compliments of my Missus.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
14 days? How do the removal firms manage?

A stone in a fortnight :eek: It's just taken me a fortnight to lose 1/2 stone lol

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
If I understand the rules correctly HGV drivers have a dispensation where they can deliver and return home the same day without isolating.

After being away for 14 days your respective Gert's will ensure the excess weight comes off very quickly ;):p;)

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
What about finding a hire company with a 7.5 toner that has a depot in Ireland where you are going and drive it one way

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
What about finding a hire company with a 7.5 toner that has a depot in Ireland where you are going and drive it one way
Have thought about it mate, problem is I can't give a definite date yet because we are waiting for PPS numbers (like the English NI number). Without these numbers we cannot pay the stamp duty and therefore cannot complete the purchase.

We would need at least two 7.5tonne vans.