inter school fishing matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

armstrong1

choppy
my kids school in whitwell near worksop notts has asked me to find out anymore info on organising kids matches locally. i need to know if any clubs set these things up . i know they do in leeds on the tarn near leeds and bradford airport. any info will be appreciated.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Wouldn't it be better to look at local angling clubs junior matches? I dont think many schools will have fishing teams but i could be wrong mate. Good luck [:T]

Ah, read the title then read the thread properly after posting and you are already gong down the clubs route[;)]

Last edited:

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
You could try contacting Glyn Williams in Worksop, he`s a Level 2 coarse fishing coach. He may have some information to help.
9 Edward Street
Worksop
S80 1QP
07729 412044 or 07854 239715
All above details from http://www.anglingtrust.net
Hope this helps.

parcan31

Born again md'er
Originally posted by Godber

Wouldn't it be better to look at local angling clubs junior matches? I dont think many schools will have fishing teams but i could be wrong mate. Good luck [:T]

Ah, read the title then read the thread properly after posting and you are already gong down the clubs route[;)]
your rod was nearly found mate hahaaa but disappeared again

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'll dig out a letter in my tray at work...I work at a school in south Notts and we fish an annual schools match...although we can't this year due to the date [:(]

It was fished at Mallory for a few years and they moved it last year - can't think where to though...

minnowmaster209

SPRO/Cralusso
I am the only person in my whole school that goes fishing, there are not enough juniors doing the sport. Because aparently it is 'gay' and you should do normal sports like football?? I don't get why they don't try it, just because it is not a 'cool' sport. I think it would be a great idea if you can find a bunch of people that would be up for it. But Im not sure how many actually go in different schools?

jods

Site Supporter
Originally posted by minnowmaster209

I am the only person in my whole school that goes fishing, there are not enough juniors doing the sport. Because aparently it is 'gay' and you should do normal sports like football?? I don't get why they don't try it, just because it is not a 'cool' sport. I think it would be a great idea if you can find a bunch of people that would be up for it. But Im not sure how many actually go in different schools?
How times change. When i was at school we considered the people who didn't go fishing/shooting gay.

armstrong1
I will get you the ADB's officer details for Notts, he covers Lincolnshire as well, we have just started the Lincolnshire Angling Action Group to start this happening, I think they are trying to do the same with Nottinghamshire. He is from Nottingham as well.

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
My youngest son fishes with a club(Warrington Anglers) as there are no school fishing teams/matches, but he started fishing local matches on the Bridgewater canal against snr fishermen,he picked up a lot from the snr fishermen by chatting with them before and after the matches.
They all seemed to be willing to give him tips as he was only a youngster,he now fishes with snr's in open matches on canals and commercials.

I think you should try your local angling clubs or Organisations like 'Surestart' who do fishing courses but these are to get 'kids'interested in fishing, the 'kids' that complete the courses do get a qualification after a test.

hope this helps
Col

fish finder

callum

thats how most people think of fishing in my school. a few people do fish but in a school of 1100+ students only about 10 go fishing[:(!]

getfishing

Pete
Originally posted by fish finder

thats how most people think of fishing in my school. a few people do fish but in a school of 1100+ students only about 10 go fishing[:(!]
same here but not even that number of people

Little Carper

we have a fishing tournament at my school every year. Its quite popular aswell with about 50+ peopl every year. I won last year, and my prize was another rod and reel. Not bad i suppose :)

armstrong1

choppy
thanks for info guys, when i used to take my kid to his school matches there was a brilliant atmosphere ,decent prizes and a trophy , its not a gay sport, i think it gives kids a sense of achievement ,and if it keeps one kid falling into the wrong crowd it can,t be a bad thing.

think I can help you there. There is first of all the Worksop Juniors set up, they fish between 20 and 30 matches per year mainly geared up to the various junior nationals and regional competitions. This of course requires some dedication and parents willing to travel.

If you are not interested in that then there will be the Guardian newspaper readership interschools championships in July, being fished at Lakeside, the 3 match league usually run between June and August at Lakeside, Retford. The Gateford canal junior match held near the Lock Keeper at Worksop. You can find all the details about these from the fishing page in the Guardian. There is also the Schools national which will be fished at Hallcroft in July, this requires teams of 5 and details are on the Angling Trust website.

Aston Park fishery runs frequent junior matches, ring Alex the fishery owner for more details or better pop down, he is young and really helpful.

I will be running a junior winter league at Lodge farm - six matches between Oct and March.

There are a good number of lads and girls fishing and the matches are generally well attended

I'm a coach and my son fishes all of the above, if you need further details come back to me on these pages and I'll provide more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.