Insurers and insurance brokers

Sportsman

When we moved into this house 4 years ago, we let our bank arrange all of our insurance on house and vehicles.
The insurance company is owned by the bank.
We have had an ongoing dispute over a house insurance claim that has gone on for months. The claim was not disputed and the quotation for repairs was accepted by the insurance company. The repairers are supplied by the insurers, we have had nothing to do with their selection. The problem has been that no one has arrived to do the work.
When I contact the repairers I get lies and empty promises. When I try to contact the insurers, emails are not answered.For a short while the bank has pushed the insurers, but they have informed me that there is nothing more to be done.
Last resort is a solicitor and a claim for expenses and compensation. The question is, who to pursue.
I understand the law may be different in France, but I would still value the opinions of those with experience in the field.
The bank sold us the polices and monthly payments are collected by the bank, so are they responsible for dealing with the insurers?
The insurers are the obvious target, but they blame the repairers, with whom they have a contract. The repairers will not deal with me direct.
What would you do next if it was in the UK?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Give your insurers written notice that if the work is not carried out within a stated period that you will source the required contractors to carry out the work and will aim to pursue the insurer, through the legal system if necessary, for all costs related to such, not limited to the cost of the work carried out by the contractors.

PJG

Threaten the bank and the insurance company that "you are now of a mind" to put this matter in the hands of the Insurance Ombudsman and that you will wait only another 21 days this matter to he resolved. After 21 days if you are no further forward then contact in writing the Insurance Ombudsman. Keep photocopies and records of everything!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Contract is with the insurance company. They are the ones to take action against. Get a solicitor to write to them. Worth the fee to get things moving.

Sportsman

Contract is with the insurance company. They are the ones to take action against. Get a solicitor to write to them. Worth the fee to get things moving.
I would have thought that contract is with the company that I purchased the goods from (The broker)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I would have thought that contract is with the company that I purchased the goods from (The broker)
No - the broker is not the person failing to deliver the service. As Neil has said - it is the insurers who are responsible.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The broker is just an agent for the insurance company. A middle man that introduces you to the insurance company and takes a fee for doing that.

If you have a problem with Tesco (Systeme U) you don't take the checkout operator to court.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave, the French legal system is set up differently from the UK.
You'll need to find a local law firm/lawyer and have a chat as there are no "Solicitors" as such in France as the process is different.