Instant Messenger...which?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've been looking for an IM but it's a minefield. Which do you use/recommend? I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I have WhatsApp on my mobile. I'm looking for one for the laptop. Running Win 7 64bit and WhatsApp for the lappy only works for Win 8 x64 upwards.

Last edited:

Dusty

I didn’t think people still used IMs on the pc, I’ve not seen one for 10 years and that was back in the MSN messenger days,

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Can you not use whatsapp on pc...?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I don't know why they did away with it, MSN was really good.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I have WhatsApp on my mobile. I'm looking for one for the laptop. Running Win 7 64bit and WhatsApp for the lappy only works for Win 8 x64 upwards.

Can you not use whatsapp on pc...?

Not on mine for the above reason. Tried and it won't work in Windows 7 x64. It also failed to pick up the webcam on the laptop.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Remember, all support for Windows 7 ends in January, so you may want to look at updating.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Remember, all support for Windows 7 ends in January, so you may want to look at updating.

I had Windows 10 on this laptop, but some of the programs I use won't work with it. I went back to Windows 7.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I installed Facebook Messenger and the Lite app and it grabbed all my phone contacts and I was inundated with prompts to be friends with....add contact here...

Most were work related and I did/do not want work and personal or md's connected despite what Zukkerberg and co want

It was promptly uninstalled. Use WhatsApp instead

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I just use WhatsApp as well. I think IM on a PC is obsolete technology.