Injected biscuits....playing around

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
Always trying to improve my floating baits......which range from Harringtons biscuits to the deadly high floating Choc and Peanut balls from Aldi....and all sorts of other things.
I found these dog biscuits recently.with a hole through the centre and it got me thinking about how I might try something utilising the hole. They float well and the carp love them
I have been playing with different ideas but the latest and to date the most successful...is to hair rig from the side going through the hole at right angles and injecting a paste into the hole. This allows any paste to be held in the hole for a slow release into the surface. I used this week a peanut butter softened a bit with peanut oil......and I am experimenting with condensed milk and also a tuna /oil mix................. The possibilities are endless as is the viscosity/release rate of the pastes.
The biscuit's surface presence is enhanced by the slowly oozing paste and it seems to add to the natural appeal of the biscuit. This week... first cast ( using a fly line) caught a 15 llb common ( very jammy )
2 hours later took a 19.5 lb fish which broke my new net. ( yes I did lift it correctly )Total tackle/ Guru have already said they would replace it. as it must have been faulty
Anyway more experimentation ...just sharing the idea and working on ideas to use the hole with a loop to attach to the hook instead of hair rigging...the fun goes on :)

Attachments

• biscuit 1.jpg.jpg
    biscuit 1.jpg.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 35
  • biscuit  2 .jpg.jpg
    biscuit 2 .jpg.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 31
  • biscuit 4.jpg.jpg
    biscuit 4.jpg.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 30

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Messing around like this is very enjoyable, I used to do it with paste😍😍😍

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I am still not convinced that using flavours on hookbaits makes any real difference. The fish cannot taste the flavour until the bait has been taken. I admit my experience of using floating baits is next to zero but I believe they are taken more by sight than taste. I am sure we have all seen fish take a non food item from the surface only to reject it when it realises it is not food.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I am still not convinced that using flavours on hookbaits makes any real difference. The fish cannot taste the flavour until the bait has been taken. I admit my experience of using floating baits is next to zero but I believe they are taken more by sight than taste. I am sure we have all seen fish take a non food item from the surface only to reject it when it realises it is not food.
I agree Neil, although I do think scent plays a big part and this is where different flavourings come in, after all, chip shops don’t leave their doors open because of the heat. I have been drawn from a hundred yards away by the smell of fish and chips.🤗

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
Its a smell thing.... carp have an amazing ability to pick up food scents from a good distance. I agree that surface baits must also use the carp's sight. So perhaps a combination triggering smell and sight should be better.

Total

Site Supporter
TPWD Kids: How Do Fish...TASTE?.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
I agree Neil, although I do think scent plays a big part and this is where different flavourings come in, after all, chip shops don’t leave their doors open because of the heat. I have been drawn from a hundred yards away by the smell of fish and chips.🤗
So is discarded fish and chip packing left on the pavement a form of ground bait ?

Dave gsx1400

I agree that experimenting with bait additives is great fun. However, i`m not convinced that it improves bite rates at all, especially with surface baits. I`ve found that the noise of the bait going in together with the sight of it is the key to stimulating fish to take. Scent doesn`t come into it at all. It may do with baits presented through the water column and on the bottom - but no-one truly knows! The problem is that manufacturers lead us to believe that flavoured products are the thing to have, so we purchase them. We catch fish using them, but here`s the thing - likely as not we would have caught those fish on unflavoured baits also! One things for sure, the manufacturers have us hooked, not the fish!! I`ll bet if we all went back to basics, we`d still catch those same fish.

squimp

Site Supporter
Here we go again.

There is loads of documented ‘evidence’ of people catching fish off the top on flavoured/enhanced baits when they struggle to catch on differently flavoured ones. BarryS is on the right track.

I’ve done it myself many times and have bags of flavoured mixers in my freezer ready for just such occasions. They work miles better than those straight out of the bag. Even something as simple as dipping the hookbait in fish oil makes it different to the others and potentially more attractive.

As far as fish eating non-food items is concerned, how fish taste/smell is different to how we do it and much more sensitive. So that non-food item may well contain something that smells like food to a fish - so it has to try it. That also partly explains why fish eat baits that smell repulsive to us. Check out butyric acid - a revolting ‘smelly cheese/old socks’ smell to us, but a fantastic cold water flavour for certain fish. It is an organic acid (a natural product) and something in it smells like food to a fish……..

Perhaps if you read a bit of the relevant literature (scientific and/or directly related to fishing) you might change your opinion.

Dave gsx1400

Here we go again??? Sounds like the bait manufacturers have you well hooked Squimp! I`ve just returned from a days floater fishing. Had 119lb in 9 fish. I used dog biscuits `neat`, and soaked others in flavourings. Used them alternatively. It made absolutely no difference. I caught equally on both. Carp are wild, therefore are in competition with each other at `feeding time`. They don`t give a damn what flavour the biscuit is, they just take it because if they don`t, their mate certainly will! Oh, how I wish Pike were as easy to locate and catch.....

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@squimp have been thinking about a high aroma bait for Barbel when the river is carrying a lot of water and highly coloured, I'll check out the butyric acid as it sounds ideal, thanks for posting it. Mind you it does sound like it smells like my rugby socls did after a game, :sick::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Oh, how I wish Pike were as easy to locate and catch.....
Go fish after a match on a river or fish a river for silvers and wait for the pike to show. Not at all hard to locate then or particularly hard to catch that’s for sure the things can be an absolute menace!

squimp

Site Supporter
Here we go again??? Sounds like the bait manufacturers have you well hooked Squimp! I`ve just returned from a days floater fishing. Had 119lb in 9 fish. I used dog biscuits `neat`, and soaked others in flavourings. Used them alternatively. It made absolutely no difference. I caught equally on both. Carp are wild, therefore are in competition with each other at `feeding time`. They don`t give a damn what flavour the biscuit is, they just take it because if they don`t, their mate certainly will! Oh, how I wish Pike were as easy to locate and catch.....
Congrats on a good days fishing.

The waters I choose to fish sounds a bit different to where you were yesterday. 9 fish (of mixed species) is about a seasons total for me……I very rarely fish in a competitive feeding situation. Im usually fishing for one bite. Big bream gorging on my barbel baits being an honourable exception.

I need all the help I can get - so I will carry on with my experiments.

When my fishing mate finishes his book, some of our findings might be revealed. Much of it is well known in the carp bait world.