Info

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
My lad as been gifted a maver 501 and I wondered if any one can give info or a review. I know it was a top end pole in its day but what was its main use, I.e silvers, puddles etc?
Having it out in the garden I have to admit to pole envy. It makes my signature 600 look 2nd rate.
He also received a silstar dia flash 7m whip after I had bought him a 7m shimano technium whip. Any info on any would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2ts

Site Supporter
I have a Silstar Diaflex 7mtr whip (not diaflash) i bought it in 1992 and only used it once,was not cheap when i bought it,but cannot recall cost.Really unusual finish and colour to the blank,i bought it for use in Ireland,but stopped going.
Was told it had good strength for fishing to hand.

ravey

That 501 was a top range Maver pole. An old model, but very good. Main purpose would be silvers type of fishing. I wouldn’t risk it on powerful fish like carp, personally. Nick D is right about the whip. All in all, a couple of quality fishing items...lucky you!

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
This is definitely a maver. My lad is using my old Map Adrenalin pro. He is the lucky one to receive the pole.
I had no idea about then silstar whip. It is almost a reddish blank

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I have a Silstar Diaflex 7mtr whip (not diaflash) i bought it in 1992 and only used it once,was not cheap when i bought it,but cannot recall cost.Really unusual finish and colour to the blank,i bought it for use in Ireland,but stopped going.
Was told it had good strength for fishing to hand.
There is no flick tip with it but a bushed, I would guess, second section

nejohn

Site Supporter
The 501 is a very nice pole I had one a good few years ago but got nicked with a lot of my other kit, I think I paid about £1600 for mine in a sale. If I remember rightly it was rated to an 18 or 20 elastic however although I have no doubt Mavers ratings are/were correct I didn't go above about a 14 on mine it was a great general all-round pole but I would not say it was ok with some of the carp that now swim in some commies. It was very light and could be used up to the full 16m without a great deal of effort and up to 14.5 metres I would still rate it as one of the nicest and best balanced poles I have handled. If you are not looking for a pole to bully big lumps out of snaggy pegs then you could do an awful lot worse and to get one given you are a very lucky guy

2ts

Site Supporter
Mine only came with the flick tip,bearing in mind this was a dedicated whip,and not some sort of hybrid short pole.It is probably possible to take the tip section out and elasticate it.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Thanks guys. The lad is over the moon with the pole. There are plenty of other bits too but these are being used to start a kids club up with. Hence my delight at the whip.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I had the whip, a quality item that I would still use now, if I hadn’t tripped and used it to break my fall.