Info on an old lake, now vanished, NE UK

smiffy

Site Supporter
Philocast I think this has a good chance of being the lake that you mentioned.I see the groundmarks of a demolished Grand building at the rear of the suspected Lake. Lake .jpg
Good detective work. I’ve no idea wether there was a lake there or not but it is typical of a large estate house looking down an avenue to the estate lake at the end. Many local estates would have their lakes at the bottom of a hill so you could look from the house straight down to the lake. Often many feature trees either side of the view.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
There is a version of Google Earth that allows you to travel back in time?
i used it once. I was looking at fishery’s being dug. You could see the under water islands etc.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Travelling back in time for this area seems to throw some doubt on there being a 'grand house' on the site - looks more like a piggery to me :p

lucy cross.JPG

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
The lake at Forcett Hall seems to fit the bill

1612792020136.png

It's barely visible from the road though, although I guess the trees and undergrowth may have grown

On Google street-view there's just a single view of the lake from, what I guess is the access point.

1612792503656.png

Simon

Deejay8

Site Supporter
But the OP mentions that he fished at Forcett Hall around the same time, and it was a similar sized and shaped lake. So he must know that lake and be referring to another one. Could there have been a big house with a lake at the bottom of the lawn, which was demolished before that piggery was there? It's a possibility. It's also possible The only way to really tell is to ask around. Maybe try that house where the piggery was. Or ask in local pubs, once they are open.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
There is one other possibility, but it's a little further south (about five miles from Forcett). I know that the lake at Aske Hall (next to the B6274 between Gilling West and Richmond) has allowed fishing in the past. Clubs have had it at times and, at other times, permission has been known to be granted to fish. Being the Zetland Estate, this would likely have been at the whim of the head keeper. I've not known anyone to have fished it in at least twenty years.

Simon R

Site Supporter
. I think that Lucy Cross is a red herring.
I agree - this is OS1949-1970 (actually 1950s I think)

1612796049623.png

That pond you mention near Aldbrough St John - didn't even exist 70 years ago - nor did the house

crossbury manor.JPG

Looking at Google streetview it's not visible from the road anyway.

Simon

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
That pond you mention near Aldbrough St John - didn't even exist 70 years ago - nor did the house

Looking at Google streetview it's not visible from the road anyway.
Have a look on the links I posted. If you zoom right in, there is a faint blue blob on both. It even shows the island. The only doubt I have is that it's so faint that I wonder whether they've watermarked/overlaid the old maps with a newer one. I do wonder if it's been a glorified boggy swamp rather than the proper lake it appears to be now. I know that what's now Parklands near Northallerton was a similar boggy mess, barely marked on old maps, prior to Andy Scaife buying it. People still fished it though.

Truth be told, I've no idea how long it has been there. I only came to notice it when seeing it from the road when travelling for work in the last eight years or so. The only caveat to that would be that you might not see it from a standard family car. I've only travelled that road in vans, 4x4s, pick ups and SUVs. I didn't really think it was a viable candidate though, and neither is Brettanby Manor.

The only two genuine candidates for the water I can think of locally would be Forcett Hall and Aske Hall. Getting a bit further afield, I'd wonder about Lartington or perhaps Raby Castle? I'm not convinced that either fit all of the criteria.

Last edited:

nejohn

Site Supporter
Have a look on the links I posted. If you zoom right in, there is a faint blue blob on both. It even shows the island. The only doubt I have is that it's so faint that I wonder whether they've watermarked/overlaid the old maps with a newer one. I do wonder if it's been a glorified boggy swamp rather than the proper lake it appears to be now. I know that what's now Parklands near Northallerton was a similar boggy mess, barely marked on old maps, prior to Andy Scaife buying it. People still fished it though.

Truth be told, I've no idea how long it has been there. I only came to notice it when seeing it from the road when travelling for work in the last eight years or so. The only caveat to that would be that you might not see it from a standard family car. I've only travelled that road in vans, 4x4s, pick ups and SUVs. I didn't really think it was a viable candidate though, and neither is Brettanby Manor.

The only two genuine candidates for the water I can think of locally would be Forcett Hall and Aske Hall. Getting a bit further afield, I'd wonder about Lartington or perhaps Raby Castle? I'm not convinced that either fit all of the criteria.
I immediately thought of Lartington as it ticks most of the boxes though it is not in the location described but time has a habit of playing tricks, I also thought about Raby but the Castle would have probably stuck in the mind for a landmark (only fished it twice but great roach fishing)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I immediately thought of Lartington as it ticks most of the boxes though it is not in the location described but time has a habit of playing tricks, I also thought about Raby but the Castle would have probably stuck in the mind for a landmark (only fished it twice but great roach fishing)
Other than Forcett Hall, all of the better fits are further away. Pepper Arden Bottoms, Halnaby and maybe even Clervaux Castle (Castle long demolished. 1951. Castle replaced by a refurbished crenellated clock tower and smaller dwelling) Lake (south east of Croft) could fit in some ways but not others. To my mind, the best fit that's close to the right area is Aske Hall. I just can't think of any alternative to Forcett Hall that fits the criteria as well, even if you broaden the area of search significantly. I'm pretty confident that there's no missing lake on the Piercebridge Road.

adz1189

Adam
Long shot, but wondering whether there is anyone on the forum who has been around long enough - and is local enough - to throw any light on a large lake I remember from the 1970's, not too far from Darlington?
Out of Darlington along the A67, you'll soon get to Piercebridge, where you can cross the river Tees, heading in the direction of Scotch Corner, on the B6257.
Not too far out of Piercebridge, on the right of the road (if heading away from Piercebridge) there used to be a large lake in the grounds of some sort of substantial country-home type property - you could look over the lake from the roadside.
It was privately owned, policed by the local gamekeeper, though I fished it with my father, who had permission (which is how I know I'm not imagining it! :D ) - this was at a time when carp simply did not exist as a species that far north, but the water held some spectacular tench, and pike, amongst the other typical lake species.
Thing is, for such a substantial water, it's now apparently vanished without trace at some point since - I'm wondering whether anyone knows what happened, or can identify the lake?

Its strange ive had a look on one of the OS map sites ive got access to, i did post a picture just now but ive had to remove it as on thinking about it I may get a wrist slapping as its educational access only! Anyway, i cant see anything on the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s map 🤔🤔

Philocalist

..... I can feel a trip coming on - its only about 40 minutes away, and 'necessary' to preserve my own sanity :D Most obvious explanation right now is that I've mis-remembered something - maybe not too surprising across almost a half century :)