Info on an old lake, now vanished, NE UK

Philocalist

Long shot, but wondering whether there is anyone on the forum who has been around long enough - and is local enough - to throw any light on a large lake I remember from the 1970's, not too far from Darlington?
Out of Darlington along the A67, you'll soon get to Piercebridge, where you can cross the river Tees, heading in the direction of Scotch Corner, on the B6257.
Not too far out of Piercebridge, on the right of the road (if heading away from Piercebridge) there used to be a large lake in the grounds of some sort of substantial country-home type property - you could look over the lake from the roadside.
It was privately owned, policed by the local gamekeeper, though I fished it with my father, who had permission (which is how I know I'm not imagining it! :D ) - this was at a time when carp simply did not exist as a species that far north, but the water held some spectacular tench, and pike, amongst the other typical lake species.
Thing is, for such a substantial water, it's now apparently vanished without trace at some point since - I'm wondering whether anyone knows what happened, or can identify the lake?

Philocalist

Definitely not that one mate, but in that vicinity - it started within about 50m of the main road, and would have been big enough to run almost as far as the minor road that runs parallel, adjacent to the small pond in the picture - easily 300 - 400m along the long side, and oblong, maybe 100m or so across.. It was in the grounds of some type of big country manor type place - I'm tending to think it may have been a part of Raby Estates, but they say no.
It was not a deep lake - I'm guessing that it probably silted up over the years, ignored and largely unused, and has reverted to farmland - it was way before waters like that were a premium interest, like it might be today.
WE used to fish another very similar water back then too, same sort of size etc and just a bit further east - Forcett Park? Don't suppose you know what the situation is there now, re fishing - I notice that its still marked on Google maps as a fishing lake?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Think forcett park goes by the name of high park carp syndicate

The lake you're thinking of though, could it be Kipling hall, it's not far off scotch corner but near scorton and ellerton water park, other side of piercebridge

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've never heard of any lake on the side of the B6275 between Piercebridge and the A1. That's not to say that there wasn't one that predates 1980(ish) when I'd likely be aware of it, or a fair bit earlier when people I know would likely be aware of it. On this one, I wonder if your memory isn't playing tricks on you. The description of the water and species present certainly fits with my memories of Forcett Hall as it was way back.

There are a couple of possibilities if it might be a bit further from the Piercebridge road than you recall. Have a look on Google maps at the pond just to the SE of Aldbrough St John (follow Aldbrough Beck). It has changed a fair bit in recent years as there's a new house overlooking it. I've been lead to believe that there has been a pond there for years but what's there now might have been excavated to what it is now.

The other possible site for your missing lake might be Brettanby Manor, just north west of Barton. Follow Aldbrough Beck downstream until it changes name to Clow Beck. Hidden in the wood at Brettanby Manor is an old estate lake/mill pond.

Forcett Hall pond/lake is marked as a "fish pond" on google maps (as is Brettanby), but not as a fishing lake. I fished Forcett as a kid once or twice. It's been a syndicate carp lake for a good ten years, and more.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Didn't say it was, but funnily enough that could account for me saying it was near scorton and ellerton water park the other side of piercebridge

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Didn't say it was, but funnily enough that could account for me saying it was near scorton and ellerton water park the other side of piercebridge
Brian, the OP said it was just off the Piercebridge road and could be seen from the road.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I know, I read it
So despite Kiplin Hall lake not existing (in its current form) in the 70s, not being visible from the road (let alone the Piercebridge Road), and not being shallow, you still think it's a likely candidate for Philocalists missing lake?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Based on the description, yes, that description being a private lake on a substantial country home property but no problem I'll bow to your vastly superior intellect even though kiplin has been around a lot longer than I've been alive

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Based on the description, yes, that description being a private lake on a substantial country home property but no problem I'll bow to your vastly superior intellect even though kiplin has been around a lot longer than I've been alive
The lake is a gravel pit that was dug in the eighties. I know people that farmed the fields that became the lake. I know people that worked on the gravel extraction. I know the fella that was the warden just after the pit was finished. I've been on the syndicate since all bar the first year of its existence. I fished it before it became a trout lake under Brian Morland. You're absolutely right that I know a damned sight more about Kiplin than you do. You think you know about it, but you don't. One day, you'll stop pretending otherwise.

nejohn

Site Supporter
From your description and the species involved one lake sort of stood out but the location you describe is not where it is, but it is not a million miles away being just outside Barnard Castle and that would be Lartington Lake, I fished it a few times and the tench fishing was very good along with some quality roach and rumours of very large pike. It is connected to a large estate and used to be controlled by the gamekeeper so ticks quite a few of your boxes

rudd

Site Supporter
The lake is a gravel pit that was dug in the eighties. I know people that farmed the fields that became the lake. I know people that worked on the gravel extraction. I know the fella that was the warden just after the pit was finished. I've been on the syndicate since all bar the first year of its existence. I fished it before it became a trout lake under Brian Morland. You're absolutely right that I know a damned sight more about Kiplin than you do. You think you know about it, but you don't. One day, you'll stop pretending otherwise.
Have the fish been given names like the Cherry Bakewell, French fancy and the battenburg?

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
Philocast I think this has a good chance of being the lake that you mentioned.I see the groundmarks of a demolished Grand building at the rear of the suspected Lake. Lake .jpg

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Have the fish been given names like the Cherry Bakewell, French fancy and the battenburg?
No, we are surprisingly free of cakey puns. Lacking a "G" probably helps, but some can't stop themselves adding one anyway.