Inexpensive (and unusual) summer bait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Be the first on your water to use this. No telling which species you will catch.

1. Small box of sultanas (the bait doesn't last many days).
2. Place sultanas in a bowl of warm water. Add 1 tsp sugar to a pint of water.
3. Keep where it is warm (room temperature) for several days until they swell up to normal size and you start to smell the fermentation odor.
4. When swollen and fermemted a little - but before they go soft - rinse in clear water and put in the fridge until you are ready to fish.
5. Fish them directly on the hook.

Newt Vail

pjroberts31

Hi Newt

How successful have you been with this bait, it sounds quit interesting

PJR31.... wave.gif

MALC

Newt & Pj

They are good for Roach,Bream,Chub,Tench & Carp.
Proberly good for others as well but can only comment on the species i've caught on them in the past.
Malc

ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

mookie

mookie
Now then lads sounds like my missis wont have much left after the season starts...garden peas now sultanas...sounds like they should do the biz...

Cheers

MOOK......P.S Received my Elvington ticket today...yippeee
...now wheres them crucians ????..Gimme Gimme Gimme

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
PJ - it is pretty much a "carp only" bait over where I live as we only have carp and catfish as bottom feeders and the catfish (other than the blasted bullhead) don't much like fruit or sweets.

I like it and have caught as many summer carp on it as on any bait I use.

Should be a nice change from some of the boilie prices I've seen over there too. I know I can buy a huge box of the things for about a dollar. Even cheaper than luncheon meat and unlike bread, you don't have to use the whole box at once or have it go dry and bad.

Sounds like I may have let Malc's "secret bait" out of the bag though.

Malc - did you just put the sultanas on or did you rehydrate and ferment them first?

Newt Vail

pjroberts31

Thankyou kind Sir, I will be starting the process on sunday so they will be ready for next weekend.. beer-toast1.gif

Tight Lines

PJR31.... wave.gif

MALC

Hi Newt,

Your ok you've not let my secret bait out, if people ask i'll always let them know what i've used and how successful or not it's been for me.
I've used sultanas straight from the packet and rehydrated with varied success.

Found that fished straight from the packet over hemp/wheat when after Chub they will pick the bigger specimens from the shoal.

Roach & Carp seam to prefer them when rehydrated.

Also years ago remember using normal grapes when after Chub with various flavourings with some success.
The red grape was always better than a green one especialy if it was half peeled.

Over the years i've tried most things on the hook, some with success and others with no luck at all but it's something i love trying weird unusale things as bait.

Every time i hear of a "NEW" bait it makes me laugh as at one time or another everything has been put on a hook some where.

Good example last season was "catmeat" people were raving about this "NEW" wonder bait that was taking carp waters apart over here. It's so new that i've been using it for 20+ years as have many other people.

Malc

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
"Every time i hear of a "NEW" bait it makes me laugh as at one time or another everything has been put on a hook some where."

You do have to wonder though about who thought to use some of them for the first time.

In the US, channel catfish can often be caught using a piece of soap as a hookbait. Occasionally soap will out fish any other bait and may be the only thing you can get a take on. But who did it first and what was he thinking??

RE: sultanas - have you ever used them fermented? The alcohol smell/taste seems to do great things at times.

Newt Vail

MALC

"SOAP"
must admitt thats one i've NOT tried. Proberly find it stems back to the days when people washed in the river and the odd bar was dropped in !!!! thinking.gif "SULTANAS" Must admitt i've not used them fermented but have used many other seeds and such when they have fermented and used the juice mixes in with groundbait.

With regards to who first thinks up some of the strange things that we put on the hook it would be interesting to know the reasons behind their choices.

But it's so much more fun to create or think up your own things than to just go down the tackle shop and buy a pint of maggots or casters.

Malc

ray

hiya wave.gif

newt,malc, i have found a "new" bait, let me run it by you and let me know what you think.

ok here goes........my new "wonder bait" is free to all, comes in various sizes, is firm enough to stay on a hook, can be frozen time and time again, can be moulded into a paste in seconds, takes a flavour better than anything else, the possibilities are endless..........what is this fantastic bait i can hear you saying........rabbit droppings.

i was thinking about using small ones as a loose feed with a bigger one on the hook (pellet style) or even pushing them through a riddle and making groundbait.
as for speciman fish, how about crushed rabbit dump for feed with a hair rigged sheeps dump? (they go up to sizes of about 50mm)

could this be the only bait you will ever need??...why take bait boxs full of different baits, why not just take a bag of "dumps" and some small bottles of flavouring???

i would appreciate any comments?suggestions and will willingly send you some should you wish to try them.

roflmao.gif

p.s. please keep this a secret as i may wish to market "pre packed flavoured dumps" at a later date.

clean banks campaign 2002.....have you joined??

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Ray - I think you may be on to something here.

If you do plan to put it on the market though, make sure the cost per unit of weight is HUGE. You will sell lots more at 20 per pound than at 1 per pound. Then, if they wish to buy 20lb bags, you can discount it to 19.50 per pound.

And you could maybe do a variation where you had fed the rabbits some of the glop they use to color lobworms and make them dump in colors that would even glow in the dark a little.

Newt Vail

MALC

When you think about it we use Pidgeon S##t and VDE sell loads of it. Personally i roast and crush my own rather than pay for it.

Malc

MALC

error.gif error.gif

Rephrase above it should read

I USE MY OWN PIDGEON S##T
not
I USE MY OWN.

But i bet i still get flack for the wording

Malc

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Great stuff Malc LOL,
Definitely gonna try it!
With the Curse, I'm in the s--t ALL the time, so plenty of supplies!

Can't remember an Aniseed flavoured one though hhhmmmmmmmmmm!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

MALC

roflmao.gif

I knew someone would get ther quick
Should have known it would be you Trev roflmao.gif

Malc

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
had reasonable success with cockles and mussels on the pole at drayton.not tried it at other venues yet but will this year.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Keith,
Glad you reminded me of that.Often heard people say that it's THE bait around here, for Higham and that Tibshelf Ponds area Thomas fishes at.
BUT what sort? ,Surely not the little jars you buy that are full of white or malt Vinegar?
Do you cook them fresh and get them off the market or Tesco's etc?
AND Prawns? Frozen?, just thaw them? add flavour or oils?
How do you best prepare these three baits and would you loose feed samples or do you fish them over corn /crumb etc. perhaps laced with mussel/squid oil.
Thanks in advance

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Trev
i think he may be talking about
fresh water Mussels the ones you find in silty lakes
just open them up and use the orange meat inside
you can take them home unopenedput them in a bucket of water and will last for several days dont let them dry out
or they will die
tightlines dave (scouse)

MALC

Don't try to use the freshwater mussel as they are now a protected species and it's illegale to use them as bait, or remove them from their habitat.

Used Prawns,Mussels and Cockles many times as bait for Carp,Tench and Chub.
Always used either fresh or frozen one's, without any flavour or colouring added.

Cockles & Mussels are good fished with either float,pole or lead. Found best results is to fish them over a bed of hemp with only 1 or 2 added as loose feed.

Prawns are a brilliant bait fished on their own with out any loose feed at all.

As for preperation just use them as they come after a slight wash.

Never personaly used they one's in vinegar (as i'd eat them).

Malc

Status
Not open for further replies.