Inappropriate tackle for a little lake

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Were the owners/bailiff happy to take the person's money? Keep saying it, get around the fishery and be a presence, then educate without going with both feet, if that doesn't work then anyone fishing 'inappropriately' is asking for the off.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just another thought. You say that you've never used above a 14 on there; if you're fishing corn or pellet for example, that would make sense. What if I decided to deliberately target the bigger carp with large boilies or big chunks of meat? Even a mid sized 15mm boilie would dwarf a size 14 hook and make it totally unbalanced. I'm not saying that this was necessarily the case here, having left the hook in a 5lb fish, but just because it isn't tackle you'd use doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think what people sometimes fail to realise about carpers is that they don't actually want to catch fish all the time. Even if it's subconscious.

In my view a lot of them also highly value the 'chill' factor and time in nature (albeit with annoying buzzers every few hours). The kind of people who partake of funny tabacco at often in this category. I don't think in the main they want to be shipping a pole in and out or watching a stop watch to time their next cast on the feeder.
Very good post I think. Makes sense when I apply it to myself.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Just another thought. You say that you've never used above a 14 on there; if you're fishing corn or pellet for example, that would make sense. What if I decided to deliberately target the bigger carp with large boilies or big chunks of meat? Even a mid sized 15mm boilie would dwarf a size 14 hook and make it totally unbalanced. I'm not saying that this was necessarily the case here, having left the hook in a 5lb fish, but just because it isn't tackle you'd use doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

If I used a 15mm boilie I would use a suitably sized hook but all I use bait wise is 6mm or 8mm pellets / wafters or corn and the 14lb fish fell to an 8mm bandum wafter.

Its a bog basic simple lake to fish stocked solely with carp that are simple to catch and don’t need ‘targeting’ with specific baits or tactics.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's my point though - just because you don't NEED to target them, doesn't mean you shouldn't. I enjoy sitting behind a rod pod with a set of rods out on alarms. I don't particularly enjoy pole fishing. Am I not allowed to fish in a style which seems entirely appropriate if there are fish at least into the upper teens? I'm playing devils advocate here slightly, but I stand by my point. If you personally are interested in catching bigger fish, rather than lots of fish, I can see precisely why you would scale things up.

rudd

Site Supporter
That's my point though - just because you don't NEED to target them, doesn't mean you shouldn't. I enjoy sitting behind a rod pod with a set of rods out on alarms. I don't particularly enjoy pole fishing. Am I not allowed to fish in a style which seems entirely appropriate if there are fish at least into the upper teens? I'm playing devils advocate here slightly, but I stand by my point. If you personally are interested in catching bigger fish, rather than lots of fish, I can see precisely why you would scale things up.
You make a valid point, the venue may contain alot of smaller easy fish and some person has used a rig / bait to try and single out bigger one's.

None of us know the breaking strain of involved but I suspect either an in experianced angler has used a knife or sharpish object to peel back an outercoating damaging the braid in process OR a lazy rastard has used the rig over and ober catching fish using it but not checked for damage between fish.

badgerale

Within two pages this thread will turn into the usual anti-Carp rants so will get this in now :)
"This isn’t a dig at carp anglers, " unfortunately Taff the haters will not see it that way and you have opened the door.

Why the presumption that it's a "Carp angler" that has used that?
I can go on my club lake this weekend and and see all manner of pleasure anglers young and old that use tackle that is borderline on being acceptable.
We have predominately an older generation membership and had to put hook size restrictions in place as quite a few members were using some pretty crude gear on sleeper rods - which we have also stopped now as there is no control over the fish if you are shipping in a pole at the same time.
These were not Carp anglers but pleasure anglers.

Open question.
Is a hook that could be deemed as being too large for the size of the fish in the water any worse than the anglers who fish 1lb bottoms fishing for Silvers on waters with a heavy stock of Carp?
In my angling lifetime I have probably caught more Barbel trailing small hooks and low bs line than I have Carp with large hooks still in their mouths.
LBH it wouldn't take much on here to find posts that shamefully declare that the anglers will deliberately snap off if they have hooked a Carp.

"I have said before that so many people emulate what they see in youtube videos,"
Errrr isn't that reason why a lot of videos are made in the first place - to provide a source of information?
I can watch a video of high cliff diving - doesn't mean that I can go out and apply what I have just watched..
I love to vent my frustration with carp taking over, but I do actually agree with you. A lot of the people here would think nothing about being 'snapped off' by a fish on their ultra light gear but will go red faced if they find carp gear in a fish.

As a pure pleasure fisherman I tend to get angry with carp fishing as it impacts me much more, but as far as fish welfare goes I think match fishing is much worse.

I mean, I don't personally care what happens to the horrible carp things. If it was up to me we'd go full Australia on them and cull the ****ers.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I had a little session Sunday on my local - Neville Park - and one of the fish I caught, a lovely 5lb common had the following embedded in its bottom lip:

452FAE7A-3E45-4139-9B73-AEFE07D115C7.jpeg

It had been there a fair while, there was a deep gash in the lip with healed and unhealed tissue so I removed the hook carefully (trusty forceps in the seatbox) and treated with the Korda carp repair kit that lives in there too.

Now this is a tiny water which has carp only in it, the largest of which I’ve heard of to date is 17lb and the biggest I‘ve had out is 14lb - they will take pretty much any bait you lob at them and I’ve used method feeder, whip, pellet waggler and bomb all with great success.

The biggest hook I have used on there is a 14 QM1 and even that feels huge to me coupled with 0.17mm hooklength.

I know it’s the pleasure angler / match angler in me that is wound up by this but why on earth would anyone feel the need to be fishing gear like this on such a small easy water ? Are they watching too much Monster Carp or YouTube videos of specimen anglers hunting down 40’s & 50’s?

This isn’t a dig at carp anglers, after all carp is all I catch on there which by default makes me a carp angler, but surely some shred of basic common sense would tell you gear like this isn’t necessary on a venue like this?
Last time I raised a question about inappropriate gear it got me in trouble. But I cannot see with all the carp lakes around the two rod, buzzers, bed chair, big hooks, 2.75 test curve rods and tents, can't find waters that suit their stye of fishing without going on tiny little commercial type waters? But it's only my view, but the above is exactly what you can expect. There is one little water I pass getting to a bigger one that is 100 meters by 100 meters in size. The carp go to around 8lb, so two rods buzzers and a full bivy just don't look right to me, however I live and let live whenever possible.