Inappropriate tackle for a little lake

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
the problem is that:

1) Carp gear sells.
2) day tickets are generally higher as mulitple rods are sold.
3) Lack of education/awareness.

Our local fishery is being very restrictive to match angling, creating conditions that makes it unenjoyable. We have to share the lake with 3 rod and bivvie set ups cast all over the show trying to catch fish that might make double figures occasionally but most are 3 -5lb. The amount of boilies going in would build a new Dutch Polder and the fishery wonders why they have silting issues.......The litter left behind is atrocious. And you wont see these guys come winter, defo not what I would call a "proper" carp angler who, I assume would not be seen dead in these environments. Sometimes they actually catch something.......don't want to even talk about fish care.

But these guys pay £25 - £35 per day against my £8 peg fee. And all this on our pool what is (now inappropriately) called the "match lake"........

This is an increasing problem, now I don’t wish any commercial fishery owner ill, but I think they have benefitted financially from the lockdowns, furlough and nothing else being open. The numbers of anglers on the bank has shot up - many of them because there is nothing else to do, we’ve been fortunate to keep fishing for most of the lockdowns - the guys I fish the open match circuit fish every week, many several times a week, 52 weeks a year.

I would not be surprised to see this current high footfall on the banks (with some fisheries selling a peg twice or even 3 times a day if people don’t stay for more than a few hours) drop off when the pubs open, cricket and football crowds are allowed back, music festivals start up again, their misses wants them to go shopping, take the kids to the beach etc. etc.

Some fisheries might be glad of the all year round anglers, who have been pushed out or put off by the noise, constant running up and down between pegs and wafts of weed smoke.........

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That was my first thought David, the break/cut looks very clean. A fish that size couldn't break it unless it already had a weak point in it, or if there were mussel beds/sharp snags in the swim.

John.
What the picture doesn’t show is the braid is frayed at the point of the break - there are several large “Warning - Deep Water” signs embedded into the lake at various points (at least 4) which are steel plate on substantial angle iron legs that are beacons for running carp.

Personally I’d think there was a flaw or nick in the braid that resulted in the break.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Open question.
Is a hook that could be deemed as being too large for the size of the fish in the water any worse than the anglers who fish 1lb bottoms fishing for Silvers on waters with a heavy stock of Carp?
In my angling lifetime I have probably caught more Barbel trailing small hooks and low bs line than I have Carp with large hooks still in their mouths.

That’s a really valid point Lee - it’s all about knowing what’s in the water and being geared accordingly

Billy the fish 1954

Iam a carp/ specimen angler who has changed tactics and tackle to suit the changes in the last 20 years, gone are the 2.5 tc rods bait runners and alarms, now using margin pole waggler and bomb rods, still catching my fair share of decent carp along with tench, bream roach ect,always match the hatch , found hooks 16s to 12s leave no noticeable damage

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
You don’t need 14 rods, just the knowledge of how to use one or two rods correctly with balanced tackle.
I suspect that isn't the point being made. I'm only too well aware that most anglers aren't quite as keen as I might be to have the right tool for every situation. Many fairly serious carpers, let alone the wannabees, have three rods and perhaps a spod/marker set up. The three rods for actual fishing will usually be bought with either the most extreme water they fish, or the type they fish most, in mind. If they go to small waters, that will often leave them fishing seemingly ridiculous 3lb+ TC rods fitted with big pit reels.

It's the carp fishing equivalent of a commie angler going to a huge bream stillwater or big river like the lower Thames or Trent and making do with their not exactly appropriate gear because it's not really worth their while buying a long range tip rod or bolo rod/long whip for their once in a blue moon trip away from a commie.

Silver fan 82

I had a little session Sunday on my local - Neville Park - and one of the fish I caught, a lovely 5lb common had the following embedded in its bottom lip:

452FAE7A-3E45-4139-9B73-AEFE07D115C7.jpeg

It had been there a fair while, there was a deep gash in the lip with healed and unhealed tissue so I removed the hook carefully (trusty forceps in the seatbox) and treated with the Korda carp repair kit that lives in there too.

Now this is a tiny water which has carp only in it, the largest of which I’ve heard of to date is 17lb and the biggest I‘ve had out is 14lb - they will take pretty much any bait you lob at them and I’ve used method feeder, whip, pellet waggler and bomb all with great success.

The biggest hook I have used on there is a 14 QM1 and even that feels huge to me coupled with 0.17mm hooklength.

I know it’s the pleasure angler / match angler in me that is wound up by this but why on earth would anyone feel the need to be fishing gear like this on such a small easy water ? Are they watching too much Monster Carp or YouTube videos of specimen anglers hunting down 40’s & 50’s?

This isn’t a dig at carp anglers, after all carp is all I catch on there which by default makes me a carp angler, but surely some shred of basic common sense would tell you gear like this isn’t necessary on a venue like this?
Totally unnecessary mate. Why fish rigs like that when the biggest known fish isn't even a 20 I don't know.
From your reports you do really well on match / pleasure tactics and tackle, by all accounts catch more than most others.
You can bet by looking at that speci carp line, weights and rods are being used. I can't see how catching carp, say high singles / low doubles on speci carp gear is any fun anyway. I like my carp fishing but that is just too overgunned. I said before in another similar thread is the reason so many people fish waters like this with this kind of set up because of social media? By this I mean go on you tube, watch a few carp fishing videos and think that "this is how to fish for carp"?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Could it be pouching OldTaff and nothing to do with proper anglers ? We found 6 lines out in one of our lakes one day. They had been tied to the platforms under the water. Thick line attached to about a metre or so of strong elastic. For weight they had used nuts & bolts and spark plugs. It only came to our attention when whilst fishing we saw a carp of about 2lb thrashing about away from any feature. Luckily we landed the carp, unhooked it and it swam off fine.

Keith Sparky

Totally agree that the rig is overgunned for the situation but we need to understand that members of forums like these tend to be more experienced or are at least looking for guidance and information from those who have that experience....instead of having a pop at the leisure anglers who may not know fully what they are doing ask yourself what have you done recently to help and guide people....we all needed help once....if we don't offer advice then bad angling will continue

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Could it be pouching OldTaff and nothing to do with proper anglers ? We found 6 lines out in one of our lakes one day. They had been tied to the platforms under the water. Thick line attached to about a metre or so of strong elastic. For weight they had used nuts & bolts and spark plugs. It only came to our attention when whilst fishing we saw a carp of about 2lb thrashing about away from any feature. Luckily we landed the carp, unhooked it and it swam off fine.

Certainly an option - I know the lake has had fish poached out as someone I know was there when a van pulled up on the bypass that runs parallel to one bank and multiple carp slings were decanted into a large tank housed in the bank. Maybe 20-30 fish taken on that occasion.

A lot of very heavy rigs have been recovered from the bankside branches & marginal reedbeds though by myself and a few others - I’ve an amazing lead/clip/braid one in my seatbox that came out of a tree the end of last year which I reckon I could have cast 100yds and landed a 100lb catfish on o_O will post picture later - and that gear is down to carp hunters on a mission.

R0B

I would not be surprised to see this current high footfall on the banks (with some fisheries selling a peg twice or even 3 times a day if people don’t stay for more than a few hours) drop off when the pubs open, cricket and football crowds are allowed back, music festivals start up again, their misses wants them to go shopping, take the kids to the beach etc. etc.

Some fisheries might be glad of the all year round anglers, who have been pushed out or put off by the noise, constant running up and down between pegs and wafts of weed smoke.........
I think you're right. A warm early summer and fishing will be all but forgotten for some. I can only compare the lake I fished before the pubs and non-essentials opened, when it was about 80% full with only a few spare pegs, and again on Monday evening when there was only three of us and I was alone by 6pm.

satinet

Site Supporter
I think what people sometimes fail to realise about carpers is that they don't actually want to catch fish all the time. Even if it's subconscious.

In my view a lot of them also highly value the 'chill' factor and time in nature (albeit with annoying buzzers every few hours). The kind of people who partake of funny tabacco at often in this category. I don't think in the main they want to be shipping a pole in and out or watching a stop watch to time their next cast on the feeder.

I think it's a bit like fly fishing in a way. It's a method in itself.

It does look silly having 3lb TC rods and big pits at a snake lake you could under arm a small method feeder across or fish the far bank with a pole. Logically it's a bit hard to understand when you could buy a feeder rod and reel for about £70 quite easily. And that's treating yourself.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
This is one rig that I recovered - an 85g / 3oz camo lead with lovely camo pattern braid & a plastic coated hooklength and I think a quick release clip of some sort.

I have to feather a 30g bomb or feeder in to not hit the far bank :)

91448110-E92D-458A-ADAE-B695435C2D2A.jpeg

Griffo

Site Supporter
Gents your missing another potential, I’m no carper but love to catch em when I can, but on my local ponds we see a lot of “European anglers” these guys turn up a couple or so hours before the gates close, pay for their ticket then commence to fish with some of the most inappropriate tackle you have ever seen, last Saturday I was last on the pond with two of these chaps, you could just tell they were waiting for me to bugger off, I did and then drove back down to the pond about 1/2 hour later, they had gone but I pulled out about 60 mtrs of braid with 16 baited hooks, sea angling type of size tied to a stick tucked under the tree next to the peg they were fishing in, took it to the old lad that owns the place, and he thanked me for saving him a job, he said he was just about to head back down to look for any lines they had left, said it happens every couple of weeks and that he had his eye on them. Don’t think I would be as tolerant if they were my ponds but clearly a problem.

rudd

Site Supporter
the problem is that:

1) Carp gear sells.
2) day tickets are generally higher as mulitple rods are sold.
3) Lack of education/awareness.

Our local fishery is being very restrictive to match angling, creating conditions that makes it unenjoyable. We have to share the lake with 3 rod and bivvie set ups cast all over the show trying to catch fish that might make double figures occasionally but most are 3 -5lb. The amount of boilies going in would build a new Dutch Polder and the fishery wonders why they have silting issues.......The litter left behind is atrocious. And you wont see these guys come winter, defo not what I would call a "proper" carp angler who, I assume would not be seen dead in these environments. Sometimes they actually catch something.......don't want to even talk about fish care.

But these guys pay £25 - £35 per day against my £8 peg fee. And all this on our pool what is (now inappropriately) called the "match lake"........
Why blame silt on boilies?
A KG of boilies, KG of pellets, A KG of groundbait - same thing as there is nkt much difference in ingredients and lets face it 40 peg method feeder match could see 160kg or more of bait go in!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I bet there is more control over the quality of ingredients going into boiles than there is into pellets where a higher percentage will not be picked up by fish.

rudd

Site Supporter
I bet there is more control over the quality of ingredients going into boiles than there is into pellets where a higher percentage will not be picked up by fish.
I use sketterings pellets as designed for coarse fish, not much knowledge of other brands but I think you are right, cheap pellet bit if colour and smell (flavour).
Some bespoke boilie companies use inferior ingredients so they can compete on the massive bait market.

Back to the thread - argos anglers, another menace, Not the anglers but the kit itself (well ok some of the anglers)! (will I be acused of being elitist again?).

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
This is an increasing problem, now I don’t wish any commercial fishery owner ill, but I think they have benefitted financially from the lockdowns, furlough and nothing else being open. The numbers of anglers on the bank has shot up - many of them because there is nothing else to do, we’ve been fortunate to keep fishing for most of the lockdowns - the guys I fish the open match circuit fish every week, many several times a week, 52 weeks a year.

I’ve never fished it, but I’ve heard that Viaduct has cut back on matches considerably. Is this the reason?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Why blame silt on boilies?
A KG of boilies, KG of pellets, A KG of groundbait - same thing as there is nkt much difference in ingredients and lets face it 40 peg method feeder match could see 160kg or more of bait go in!
i watched one guy put more than 4kg of newly purchased boilies into his peg in a 3 hour period on a cold Feb morning and then complain to the owner about catching nothing. 160kg in a 40 peg match ? 4kg per man ? I very much doubt it.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
Back to the thread - argos anglers, another menace, Not the anglers but the kit itself (well ok some of the anglers)! (will I be acused of being elitist again?).
Yes, obviously,😂😂