Inappropriate tackle for a little lake

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I had a little session Sunday on my local - Neville Park - and one of the fish I caught, a lovely 5lb common had the following embedded in its bottom lip:

452FAE7A-3E45-4139-9B73-AEFE07D115C7.jpeg

It had been there a fair while, there was a deep gash in the lip with healed and unhealed tissue so I removed the hook carefully (trusty forceps in the seatbox) and treated with the Korda carp repair kit that lives in there too.

Now this is a tiny water which has carp only in it, the largest of which I’ve heard of to date is 17lb and the biggest I‘ve had out is 14lb - they will take pretty much any bait you lob at them and I’ve used method feeder, whip, pellet waggler and bomb all with great success.

The biggest hook I have used on there is a 14 QM1 and even that feels huge to me coupled with 0.17mm hooklength.

I know it’s the pleasure angler / match angler in me that is wound up by this but why on earth would anyone feel the need to be fishing gear like this on such a small easy water ? Are they watching too much Monster Carp or YouTube videos of specimen anglers hunting down 40’s & 50’s?

This isn’t a dig at carp anglers, after all carp is all I catch on there which by default makes me a carp angler, but surely some shred of basic common sense would tell you gear like this isn’t necessary on a venue like this?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I'm afraid that it's the "I'm fishing for Carp so I need Carp gear mentality". The little south London club that I used to belong to had the same problem with a little lake that - amongst the other fish - had about a dozen Carp of between 3 and seven pounds. It was a hell of a job persuading some of the young 'uns (mid to late teens) that that these Carp could easily be landed with a normal float rod, four pound line and a size fourteen hook . People hear that a lake holds Carp and automatically assume that they're 20lb+ fish.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Unfortunately I’ve found ridiculous gear of that ilk on possibly the majority of places I’ve fished. I’m sure in some cases it’s done ignorantly and in others innocently and others plain stupidly. Makes me laugh when I find crude poachers gear on the river as they surely can’t get many bites on it so must go hungry a lot 😂

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Within two pages this thread will turn into the usual anti-Carp rants so will get this in now :)
"This isn’t a dig at carp anglers, " unfortunately Taff the haters will not see it that way and you have opened the door.

Why the presumption that it's a "Carp angler" that has used that?
I can go on my club lake this weekend and and see all manner of pleasure anglers young and old that use tackle that is borderline on being acceptable.
We have predominately an older generation membership and had to put hook size restrictions in place as quite a few members were using some pretty crude gear on sleeper rods - which we have also stopped now as there is no control over the fish if you are shipping in a pole at the same time.
These were not Carp anglers but pleasure anglers.

Open question.
Is a hook that could be deemed as being too large for the size of the fish in the water any worse than the anglers who fish 1lb bottoms fishing for Silvers on waters with a heavy stock of Carp?
In my angling lifetime I have probably caught more Barbel trailing small hooks and low bs line than I have Carp with large hooks still in their mouths.
LBH it wouldn't take much on here to find posts that shamefully declare that the anglers will deliberately snap off if they have hooked a Carp.

"I have said before that so many people emulate what they see in youtube videos,"
Errrr isn't that reason why a lot of videos are made in the first place - to provide a source of information?
I can watch a video of high cliff diving - doesn't mean that I can go out and apply what I have just watched..

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Recently a swan on our snake lake had to be taken to the vet to have a size 4 hook removed from its throat, the line attached was "tow rope" apparently. The club try and keep the carp under ten pound, anything larger is moved to the nearby large lake.

Unfortunately I regularly see people fishing the snake with out and out carp gear including annoying alarms, one rod rule applies. Why you need an alarm for one rod I have no idea.

If you want to fish for large carp then the nearby lake is more suited to that style.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I take it that the Swan on your lake is of the wingless species then Neil and doesn't have the capability to venture elsewhere 😂😂

rudd

Site Supporter
As has been said, pleasure anglers and sleeper rods are a menace.

Neil, I happily fish pegs with one rod and an alarm, even have a one alarm pod specialy set up.
Why sit staring at a tip for hours when I can enjoy watching the nature around me?

0.26 reflo power line is tow rope yet never hear match anglers moaning about others using it with 20 elastics because its the way to fish the margins right? 😐

Mind you, I laugh when I see 3lb test rods and monster pit reels used on our small lakes, all the regulars have followed my lead and now use specimen rods unless fishing to snags.
Also looks funny when anglers using 16m pole on Alton water but it's their choice right..... Alton Water

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
As has been said, pleasure anglers and sleeper rods are a menace.

Neil, I happily fish pegs with one rod and an alarm, even have a one alarm pod specialy set up.
Why sit staring at a tip for hours when I can enjoy watching the nature around me?

0.26 reflo power line is tow rope yet never hear match anglers moaning about others using it with 20 elastics because its the way to fish the margins right? 😐

Mind you, I laugh when I see 3lb test rods and monster pit reels used on our small lakes, all the regulars have followed my lead and now use specimen rods unless fishing to snags.
Also looks funny when anglers using 16m pole on Alton water but it's their choice right..... Alton Water

I doubt many match anglers even own any 0.26, I certainly don’t, 0.19 is the heaviest I carry, with a spool of 0.22 at the back of the line drawer, just in case I ever go somewhere snaggy (tend not to do that on purpose, I get no enjoyment from fishing to snags).

Whether it be ‘carp’ anglers or ‘pleasure’ anglers, some of the tackle being used is absolutely ridiculous on small commercials and that is down to the owners/managers of the fisheries, how often do they walk round and do tackle checks, educate people and even put rules in place to ensure tackle suited to 7mile wide French lakes with 50lbers in isn’t used on a 16m wide snake lake with 8lbers in. Many don’t because it’s a commercial venture, those fishing such methods don’t seem to catch many, so maybe it’s a financial trade off.

Back to the picture in the OP, how the hell did a 5lb fish break that!!

Last edited:

rudd

Site Supporter
Some waters round here charge a bit more if you want to use two rods.
As Chris said - commercial, take cash use tackke within rules.
I have seen waters with minimum breaking strains of 8lb to be used!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Whether it be ‘carp’ anglers or ‘pleasure’ anglers, some of the tackle being used is absolutely ridiculous on small commercials and that is down to the owners/managers of the fisheries, how often do they walk round and do tackle checks, educate people and even put rules in place to ensure tackle suited to 7mile wide French lakes with 50lbers in isn’t used on a 16m wide snake lake with 8lbers in. Many don’t because it’s a commercial venture, those fishing such methods don’t seem to catch many, so maybe it’s a financial trade off.
As far as I recall I've only been to one place that does tackle checks, seems a good idea though. Not much point having a long list of rules and not enforcing them. Mind you I wonder if the bailiffs know the rules sometimes, only Sunday I fished a place with a no radio rule yet two blokes listened to a radio all morning! Was a blessed relief when they left at lunch time.

Some waters round here charge a bit more if you want to use two rods.
Quite a lot of waters do that here as well. Often thought it was a bit exploitive but then suppose it does make people think before doing it a bit and suppose they are taking up more water. Two rods at once has never really worked for me though I struggle enough to concentrate on one 😅

Sportsman

Site Supporter
If people are using inappropriate tackle on a commercial fishery then surely that is a matter for the fishery management.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
A teenager came over for a chat at the club lake a fortnight ago. He’d seen me land a lot of carp to 9lb or so on the pole and said that he’d had a couple too but was disappointed with the “..lack of fight” from them.

When I walked past him after packing up I stopped to have a chat at his swim and noticed that he was fishing with 3.5lb test curve carp rod and what looked like 20lb line. In this natural lake the carp are primarily 3-8lb with the largest 15-17lb which very rarely show, and I imagine that he just cranked them in.

I suggested that he use his seemingly perfectly adequate float rod with lighter line and he’d have much more fun, but no, he knew better...............:cautious:

nico12

Grebe Grabber
My club water attracts the same - Most of the time its inexperience / not knowing whats in the lake. My local has carp to 17lb but 90% are 5-12lb. Simple beefed up gear with a running feeder / bomb / method will catch you nearly everything in there, and yet people turn up with gear you'd see on a specimen carp venue, rods that would haul cows in, Feeding waaayy too much ( its not a large venue) - They catch exactly the same fish ( theres nothing else in there :))
The rigs are mega complicated ( my biggest carp came on a floating marshmallow from the kids xmas hot chocolate set) and just dont need to be - Each to their own but it seems ingrained that you need to look / be the part to catch anything - Last season I got carp feeding literally 4 inches from the bank and sat back and watched them - These lads are launching huge leads in :)

Robwooly

If think we should be careful to separate genuine carp anglers from those pleasure anglers targetting carp. As someone who is not the former and only occasionally the latter there appears to be a world of difference.

Anyone can get some beefy gear and claim they are a carp angler but are they really? I would suggest true carp anglers wouldn't be on many of the waters mentioned in this thread and if they were they would tailor their gear to the venue more accordingly.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have caught a Bream with a similar sized hook in its mouth. You'd be a bit gutted if you'd geared up for big Carp and still got broke by a Bream.

david white

Site Supporter
Back to the picture in the OP, how the hell did a 5lb fish break that!!
My first thought reading through the post, taking on board the description of the ‘ hook hold wound ‘ it makes me wonder if the line was cut as the ‘ angler ? ‘ was unable to unhook the fish correctly ?

JayD

My first thought reading through the post, taking on board the description of the ‘ hook hold wound ‘ it makes me wonder if the line was cut as the ‘ angler ? ‘ was unable to unhook the fish correctly ?
That was my first thought David, the break/cut looks very clean. A fish that size couldn't break it unless it already had a weak point in it, or if there were mussel beds/sharp snags in the swim.

John.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
the problem is that:

1) Carp gear sells.
2) day tickets are generally higher as mulitple rods are sold.
3) Lack of education/awareness.

Our local fishery is being very restrictive to match angling, creating conditions that makes it unenjoyable. We have to share the lake with 3 rod and bivvie set ups cast all over the show trying to catch fish that might make double figures occasionally but most are 3 -5lb. The amount of boilies going in would build a new Dutch Polder and the fishery wonders why they have silting issues.......The litter left behind is atrocious. And you wont see these guys come winter, defo not what I would call a "proper" carp angler who, I assume would not be seen dead in these environments. Sometimes they actually catch something.......don't want to even talk about fish care.

But these guys pay £25 - £35 per day against my £8 peg fee. And all this on our pool what is (now inappropriately) called the "match lake"........