In search of "Likes"

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just read a interesting article

apparently now the world is run by likes

being on the social media scene is quite strange at times, but seems rather stranger as to wether your lifes worth is mesured by the like button

(dont forget to like this post please)

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Someone at work fell out with another bloke at work because one didn’t “like” a Facebook post. Proper at each other they where, a totally unbelievable world we are living in.

stikflote

Site Supporter
One thing I don't like is ,you buy something from a store, then get a survey how did we do

,I dont go on facebook dont like it
I

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I got 4 Tyres from A Known supplier and cos i bought them online ive had loads of emails from em with the same @stikflote same with Superdry and Hollister clothes shops does my Box .

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
When I'm asked by companies etc. for my email addy, I tell them I haven't got one as I'm not on the internet.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
No brainer indeed mate.
My way round all the rubbish, is to phone them while I'm half way through ordering explaining that I can't give an email addy because I'm using a mates computer to do the ordering. That puts the ball in their court then, finish the order over the phone or lose a customer.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Agree with what you say above, madness(y).....Just words on a page.... end of. :giggle:

The worlds changing mate, years ago we had a fall out cos we didnt like summat someone had done or said we didnt talk to em for a while, we saw em in the pub had a beer and wondered what the fall out was about, now its all different especially when ya get a few who have a beer and post online. We all have fallouts no matter what but one thing is if giving a F^^k about who does and dont like ya was a life or death thing a lot of people would be Dead.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I don't use Facebook or any other social media site, it's not worth the hassle, people take me how they find me or not at all. It's a sad world when it all comes down to 'likes' on sites like Twitter etc.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's a bit like those who post every snippet of their lives on F'Book and when you speak to them in person and ask how they're doing or what they've been up to...."oh, didn't you see it on F'Book?"

Another modern day quirk that always raises a smile with me, is when people post happy birthday messages to their babies, children and pets on F'Book - hello, what's wrong with giving them a chuffin actual card that they can see, read and keep (if they want to), I mean how many one year olds read F'Book these days ? :D

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Just read a interesting article

apparently now the world is run by likes

being on the social media scene is quite strange at times, but seems rather stranger as to wether your lifes worth is mesured by the like button

(dont forget to like this post please)

Didnt understand what it was you posted so I had to google it

Guess what I found

First link on google was a reference to a hard core group of right wing prolific posters looking for kudos from like minded posters usually found on maggotdrowners ;)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Dave

The other side to people posting stuff like that is some crackpot can piece things together. They know your name, your kids age, even what they wear and what they had for breakfast. It's a scary thought that doesn't seem to bother some people.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
No brainer indeed mate.
My way round all the rubbish, is to phone them while I'm half way through ordering explaining that I can't give an email addy because I'm using a mates computer to do the ordering. That puts the ball in their court then, finish the order over the phone or lose a customer.

I just set up a 'dummy' e-mail address to deal with all the marketing mail, every now & then I go in and just empty the inbox in one go - simple. What's not to like about that as a solution ? :)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I just set up a 'dummy' e-mail address to deal with all the marketing mail, every now & then I go in and just empty the inbox in one go - simple. What's not to like about that as a solution ? :)

My last remaining 66 year old brain cell didn't think of that one. :upthumb:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@ukzero1 the way I see it these companies have used technology to bombard me with offers to buy more. I just use technology to say 'no thank you.'

NB: I don't believe the bit about just one brain cell for one minute.