Impromptu Session

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Excruciating cramp woke me at 6.30am. I was expecting rain but looked out of the window & it was a lovely morning so decided to have a few hours on the bankside. Loaded the car & headed for our Roadside Pond. As I pulled up, I had a change of mind & decided on the Carp Pond instead. One of our most difficult waters & despite the name, throws up more Tench than Carp. Empty car park & had the pond to myself all morning.
As with a lot of our ponds, small rudd are a plague so I decided against fishing expanders which they shred in no time & fished corn on the hook. Fishless for an hour but I'd been feeding my right & left margins all the while and moved to my left. There's some beasts in there so I loaded up with 14-16 solid elastic & was immediately rewarded with a nice chunky mirror around 4lbs. Ten minutes later, I felt the pleasant thump of a decent tench. Moved to the right margin & had a lengthy scrap with another mirror, No scales on me but I reckon about 8lbs. Not very long but it's girth was massive.
Really enjoyable morning in beautiful surroundings & the company of a couple of dragonflies.

Monday Morning Carp.jpg Big Mirror.jpg Monday Morning Tench.jpg Carp Pond.jpg

Attachments

The Landlord

Site Supporter
That looks a nice lake.
It's a lovely lake mate. Very difficult though & nobody will ever "bag up". Only the second time I've fished it but apparently people do better in the evenings.
Also had a couple of hand sized Rudd.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
It's a lovely lake mate. Very difficult though & nobody will ever "bag up". Only the second time I've fished it but apparently people do better in the evenings.
Also had a couple of hand sized Rudd.
Cracking session mate. Not fished the Carp yet, lovely looking water what hook bait did you use. I had a cracking little session on clover early morning last week using Swimstim green paste. Some right lumps!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Cracking session mate. Not fished the Carp yet, lovely looking water what hook bait did you use. I had a cracking little session on clover early morning last week using Swimstim green paste. Some right lumps!
Corn Jim. Keep meaning to give paste a bash on there but I didn't take any with me. I had a short spell on expander but the rudd shred it off your hook. Fed up of bringing in a bare hook.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Carp 16th.jpg Common 16th.jpg Had another session today for 3 hours on our biggest lake, the Clover. Hit a decent carp after a few minutes but the hook pulled & then managed to land a chunky mirror of around 4lb. Another hook pull as I was netting a nice tench and then I had a couple of decent crucians. Tried paste in the margins & a behemoth dragged me into the lilies, smashing my float. Managed to get everything back including the hook though. One last go on paste saw a decent scrap from this nice common. Made a bit of a horlicks with my Green Betaine paste though, it was too soft & couldn't get it to stay on the hook long enough. I mixed a bit of Supercrush Fibre into it which stiffened it a bit in the end.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Back on the Clover for four hours this afternoon. Fished the same peg as last time & was rewarded with a lump of a mirror after 20 minutes on expander. Hit another immediately as I went back in but the hook pulled. Didn't have to wait long for another as I caught the twin of the first fish. Nothing for two hours then but I had been feeding the margin & brought out the paste I had frozen after my last session. A few missed bites but then landed two more lumps which gave a good account of themselves. Added a few roach, a nice Crucian but my biggest achievement was landing a gudgeon on paste & size 20 Drennan Red Bungee elastic :ROFLMAO:

clover august 31.jpg crucian clover.jpg Clover 31 august.jpg