I'm pretty much done with lure fishing (because I'm a lazy angler)

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I think I've travelled more canal than Rosie & Jim, on my travels I've walked by many'o fellow angler, so often thinking "sucker, plucking out roach after roach, skimmer after skimmer... BAITFISH! I'm off to catch a big fat Perch with a big spikey mohawk with this £600 Japanese import reel and this tiny £400 rod which weighs little more than a biro pen" -

In truth, I probably blanked - and said angler had a much more enjoyable day than I did.

For me - there is no blank worse than blanking on a lure fishing session, soon after I became heavily invested into lure fishing, both financially and with time/effort, I realised that the #1 key to success is not the rod, reel, line, rig, lure, retrieve, time of day, cover/open water, lucky hat... none of those things -

The #1 key to success for lure fishing is... walking.

It's a very, very simple concept - cover the water, find the fish, sitting down whilst lure fishing is like driving to your next-door neighbours house - you're simply doing it wrong, by the time you've belted up in the car and turned the engine on, you'd have already been telling John how many sugars go in your cuppa for the 200th time (had you travelled on foot)... and on the canal by the time you've unfolded your stool readied your cast, the successful lure angler is already beginning to move along the in swim in search of fish in new water, over the course of a day the angler doing more leg work is covering more water and is catching more fish.

This has always been my battle with lure fishing, because above everything else - I enjoy fishing in the conventional British sense, we tend to get on the bank, we set up, we park our backside, and we relax and enjoy a good day of fishing... usually the species that you want to catch will dictate your method, for me the last 3-4 years has been mostly about Perch, starting from no knowledge on the species back then - I found myself easily, naturally, pulled into what many other people are doing to catch said species - in this case, Ultralight lure fishing was "the way" to go...
And there was the problem, I loved the gear (tackle tart), I loved the species, I love the concept of the method, but on the 5000th mile I found myself just absolutely sick to death of walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, it's just not what I wanted to be doing, I'd go to the gym otherwise, I'd walk the dog... I'd go for a bloody walk! I want to fish... lazily, on my arse! Relax and gather my thoughts and then occasionally reel in a big Perch.

These day's when Perch fishing I'm either ledgering a lobworm / prawn, or I've got one under a float of some variety, funnily enough after spending 2019 lure fishing on a weekly / sometimes daily basis, in 2020 I caught my personal best on a legered lobworm... I think of lot of specimen Perch hunters are typically using more static methods, record/near-record breaking Perch in the UK are usually always caught using baitfish, and I think it's proven that static worms and prawns are typically a better way of targeting the bigger fish as opposed to spinning.

I'll be targeting chub this winter and link ledgering a lot, but for the more active fishing when-so-desired I think trotting is a good way to provide a happy medium between lure fishing and static fishing, so I also intend to be doing a lot of trotting with a nice centrepin I've recently acquired, at least with trotting you can sit down, bait up and build a swim, sure... you'll move along from time to time, but it's a fry cry from walking 10 miles of canal and needing to search every square-inch of water.

I'm 30 in February so maybe I'm just getting older, but after 3 years of weekly/daily fishing - lure fishing burned me out to a point where I haven't felt like fishing at all in 2021, I've only been out twice this year and on both occasions I cut the session short because I didn't want to be there -
then all of a sudden, the idea to start trotting, buying a centrepin, and a couple of new rods (13ft float for trotting, 8ft1 quivertip for ledgering) has got me really excited to get back out and targeting fish in a way which I know I'll be enjoying so much more than dragging plastic through miles of canal.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Well you’ve given lure fishing a good try. I think you’re right in that finding a happy medium in a roving approach. Bait a few swims then sit down & fish them in turn - or not as the case may be. I used to do a lot of roving on the upper Trent when I was a member of Notts Piscatorials. Often didn’t move from the first swim if the fish kept coming.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Take up Barbel fishing, plenty of sitting and waiting all nice and comfy if you get on the right stretch ;)

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Take up Barbel fishing, plenty of sitting and waiting all nice and comfy if you get on the right stretch ;)
I don't quite mean it like that, I'm not necessarily looking for being static to the extreme, otherwise I'd be into carp fishing and cooking fry-ups with my feet up!

I just think I've learned that being mobile to the extreme is absolutely mandatory to lure fishing success, there's no 2 ways around it, it's numero uno.

I do wish I had a prolific barbel stretch close-by!

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm definitely a deadbait angler. I do occasionally lure fish, but for whatever reason, it doesn't particularly float my boat. I'll sometimes flick a lure around if the deadbait rods are quiet, I want to like it more than I do, but I rarely do it more than a few times across a year. I've got better in the last few years at making myself be more mobile deadbaiting, putting the effort in to move swims and that has put more fish on the bank, but that feels like a happy medium to me. I can decide how mobile I want to be and if the weather is grim, can hunker down in a swim on a gravel pit behind alarms and hide in a shelter, or I can travel light and work a stretch of river or a drain if that's the mood I'm in. End of the day, if you aren't enjoying it, do something else; it's your fishing, do it how you want.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Moving around is good for your health.
Yeah but so is relaxing sat by the river Harvey, I didn’t exactly say that I’ve came to realise that I don’t enjoy exercise, just not going to be doing it whilst fishing anymore - unfortunately it’s part and parcel with lure fishing and if it’s not then you’re giving yourself a big disadvantage for your time and could be doing a lot better on other methods.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Yeah but so is relaxing sat by the river Harvey, I didn’t exactly say that I’ve came to realise that I don’t enjoy exercise, just not going to be doing it whilst fishing anymore - unfortunately it’s part and parcel with lure fishing and if it’s not then you’re giving yourself a big disadvantage for your time and could be doing a lot better on other methods.
It's not either or. You can do a bit of both.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Point One
You can't catch the fish if they are not there.

Point Two
Perhaps you are not very good at it and should try golf.

🤣🤣
You might be joking Lee (maybe not), but I do think that I probably tend to blank quite a lot more than the average angler.

There’s different factors to it, when Perch fishing for example, I use big baits and big hooks, massive Canadian Nightcrawlers on a size 4 gamakatsu long shank for example, I know I’m ruling out a lot of fish from the get go, that’s intentional but it does inherently increase the chances of a blank.

Then again I can remember a lot of times where I do adjust to try to bank a fish, and it still doesn’t come, at that point I’ll start thinking about buying a house down south where I truly do believe the fishing is sooooo much easier, amongst other solutions to excuses.

Another thing is sheer luck, if it does exist it never comes my way, everything I’ve got in life this far(1 or 2 things I’m proud of for sure) is through pure grit and determination, my life just tends to work that way… using fishing/Perch as an example - it took me well over a year to land a 2lb Perch, must have been over 300 hours surely, hundreds of Perch on the bank, hundreds - before one weighed over 2quid… it took real effort and commitment, without sounding like I’m feeling sorry for myself - that does tend to be how god expects me to operate in life to be honest, he never seems to plop stuff down right in front of me like he does for some.

I don’t really know if I’m good at fishing, makes no odds to be honest, I know I enjoy it!

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
River bream, 2850 g, nonpoluted water, almost no slime. You don't know what you are missing. And, I love the smell of breamslime in the morning . . . And probably a bit of Wagner to go with it (Apocalypse now).

IMG_20210909_191830 (Kopier).jpg

badgerale

I like a bit of lure fishing now and then... but only now and then.

It's just a bit repetitive - you chuck it out, you wind it back... you move to the next spot... you chuck it out, you wind it back. The takes are great, no question, but they don't always happen and some days you get the feeling they aren't going to.

R0B

I empathise. I was lure-only for many years. There's so much more to it than many coarse anglers think. You get the idea when you hear them call it "spinning". Despite recent popularity there are still loads of people out there just chucking out 4" fish replicas and reeling them straight back in again. It's a bit like float fishing without plumbing the depth and not using any loose feed; relying on pure luck and doing nothing to improve the chances.
I thought static fishing was a waste of time as we'd usually be pulling out perch and chub all around blokes sitting miserably on the pole catching sweet FA. Plus we could do it in a few hours.
Eventually I got bored of the repetitiveness of the sessions, and coupled with a work and home relocation found I was in a better place for good old 'sitting down' fishing. I still have lure gear but sold the silly Megabass stuff in order to purchase more and more coarse tackle.

Can't stand river roving though, too much tackle but also not enough. And I hate moving between swims - if I wanted to catch chub on the move I'd just go lure fishing again! They will never turn down the right lure.
I've spent all summer in dogmatic pursuit of Tench at various still waters and have sat on my arse and relaxed. It makes a good recovery day from the gym and I can fall asleep/drink tea/make rigs etc. Going pole fishing this week, first time since March! variety is the spice of life.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Point One
You can't catch the fish if they are not there.

Point Two
Perhaps you are not very good at it and should try golf.

🤣🤣
There’s a fair bit of walking involved in golf, and should you have a bad day with 10 shots per hole, then that is probably not much different to what you are already doing😫😫. You need to take up running, at least you’ll get there quicker.🤣

rudd

Site Supporter
You might be joking Lee (maybe not), but I do think that I probably tend to blank quite a lot more than the average angler.

There’s different factors to it, when Perch fishing for example, I use big baits and big hooks, massive Canadian Nightcrawlers on a size 4 gamakatsu long shank for example, I know I’m ruling out a lot of fish from the get go, that’s intentional but it does inherently increase the chances of a blank.

Then again I can remember a lot of times where I do adjust to try to bank a fish, and it still doesn’t come, at that point I’ll start thinking about buying a house down south where I truly do believe the fishing is sooooo much easier, amongst other solutions to excuses.

Another thing is sheer luck, if it does exist it never comes my way, everything I’ve got in life this far(1 or 2 things I’m proud of for sure) is through pure grit and determination, my life just tends to work that way… using fishing/Perch as an example - it took me well over a year to land a 2lb Perch, must have been over 300 hours surely, hundreds of Perch on the bank, hundreds - before one weighed over 2quid… it took real effort and commitment, without sounding like I’m feeling sorry for myself - that does tend to be how god expects me to operate in life to be honest, he never seems to plop stuff down right in front of me like he does for some.

I don’t really know if I’m good at fishing, makes no odds to be honest, I know I enjoy it!
Hurrahhhhh, another blanker - We can now form ' Blankers AC'
I fish a water in East Anglia than holds rather alot of 2lb+ Perch and lure fishing is the hardest way to catch them.
Spent days of my life hurling jigs, spoons, spinners and plugs into the lake and surrounding shrubbery for very little gain.
Catch a fair few on red maggot, worm or prawn but favourite method is live baiting, even then, last session the buggers spat out on three takes and I landed one of just over 1lb.
The ' Super Stripey ' in there seen by many chasing hooked silvers dwarfs the 2lbers and is estimated at around 3.5lb, possibility 4 😵
Last seen sneeking through the peg I had vacated half an hour before 😯