• 'TOMMY PICKERING - BORN TO WIN' COMPETITION

7 x Signed Hardback copies of 'Tommy Pickering's Autobiography - Born to Win' to be won
    And if that's not enough - A Maggotdrowning Sticker to go with each one !
    CLICK HERE TO ENTER

(Click the X on the top-right to close this notice)

I'm fishing a commercial tomorrow ewwww

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Your comment there about sea anglers ripping hooks out and throwing them back in over the shoulder is the most ludicrous statement I've seen, you really do come across a right dickhead

I stopped my annual sea fishing trip because I got sick of getting burnt on a boat full of pissed up jollymen catching dogfish after dogfish - only to watch them squirming around in a dry bucket under the sun destined for the skippers lobster boxes.

I've also watched plenty of sea fishing on youtube, it's brutal.

I can't find the logic in your judgement, but whatever.

As far as calling me a dickhead goes, yeah so I've been told :confused: - you're not the first to say it, easily done on the internet mind you.

Last edited:

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Why knock anybody who fishes the pole for F1's or other fish in commercials, ?
I dont think I have seen posts on here knocking your style of fishing,

It's not that serious wozza, it's been taken to heart by a few too many and blown way out of proportion.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Nobody said anything about the skill of the angler, they could be marlin anglers setting world records, that has no bearing on what it takes to catch bream and f1 on a commercial -
I’m sure you’ve a wealth of experience and have done plenty of proper fishing over the years with many memorable catches, I’m not sure why there’s an expectation from you for people to regard catching match fish on a commercial as anything other than easy,abc,123...

The only truly remarkable thing I’ve observed within this style of fishing is Jamie Hughes winning FishO 3 times, that doesn’t happen without pure dedication and skill, that’s impressive... but it really does take a reach to those heights to find something remarkable, catching bream and f1s all day - like they’re coming in on a conveyor belt - is not.

The way I see it, if you go to a natural water then you are lucky when you catch, it has the thrill of the hunt, there’s every chance that it won’t happen, when you go to a commercial then you are supposed to catch, imagine blanking on a commercial?
I personally know angling coach who is at the top of his game, He was doing a coaching session on Partridge.
He was struggling to catch,so he went round asking what bait anglers were using, so his customer could have a decent days coaching.Everyone was struggling that day, and as far as I am aware, he booked the lad for a different days coat hinges with him.
So if someone who is one of the best anglers around can struggle on a commercial, us mere mortals have no chance.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I stopped my annual sea fishing trip because I got sick of getting burnt on a boat full of pissed up jollymen catching dogfish after dogfish - only to watch them squirming around in a dry bucket under the sun destined for the skippers lobster boxes.

As far as calling me a dickhead goes, yeah so I've been told :confused: - you're not the first to say it, easily done on the internet.

That sounds like a tourist trap boat more than a proper fishing boat to me. Most wont let you drink and generally there’s a few anglers good enough or at least lucky enough to catch something other than dogfish, don’t tend to see lobster pots on board either lol

It is horrible when fish are kept and not immediately dispatched so to speak though, no need for that all. I find generally with sea fishing the fish handling tends to be pretty good with fish that are going back but often leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to fish for the table. That said dogfish will continue to squirm long after they’ve been skinned and gutted and are about to go into the frying pan, is quite weird to see!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

As far as calling me a dickhead goes, yeah so I've been told :confused: - you're not the first to say it, easily done on the internet mind you.
Haha , it’s easy to be a dickhead on the internet too 😂😉

tedstriker

Site Supporter

Pissed up fisherman, sorry there is no such thing, anyone that drinks then goes fishing isn't an angler or a fisherman, that is a dickhead looking for a day out especially boat fishing

I spent 20 years sea fishing and never seen anything that you have said about when beach fishing, maybe its you or the people you used to fish with, I've also been on countless boat fishing trips and never come across anything you have said about

You still neglected to answer what proper fishing is

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Pissed up fisherman, sorry there is no such thing, anyone that drinks then goes fishing isn't an angler or a fisherman, that is a dickhead looking for a day out especially boat fishing

I spent 20 years sea fishing and never seen anything that you have said about when beach fishing, maybe its you or the people you used to fish with, I've also been on countless boat fishing trips and never come across anything you have said about

Indeed, sounds like a classic tourist trap boat to me rather than a proper fishing boat

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

You still neglected to answer what proper fishing is
Proper fishing is sitting on the Bridgewater canal all day fishing with prawns and lobworms and blanking 👍👍

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Proper fishing is sitting on the Bridgewater canal all day fishing with prawns and lobworms and blanking 👍👍
Oi... leave the Bridgie alone, 😂I grew up fishing that, Had my first fish from there when I was about 8 years old. A 1lb Perch. 😁
Never caught on prawns, but half lobworms on noted swims.

Last edited:

DontKillZander

Site Supporter

Which was infinitely more enjoyable than sitting on a commercial all day catching snotrags and test tube fish, like yesterday.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Which was infinitely more enjoyable than sitting on a commercial all today catching snotrags and test tube fish like yesterday.

You need to get into some proper slab bream especially if they’ve got a bit of flow behind them they’re a slightly different prospect then. I like bream of any size myself though.

PeteC

There's a readers letter response in the Angling Times to an old comment Matt Hayes made about 'real fishing'.

Makes me laugh that the commercial I fish has Matt Hayes name plastered all over the front. :LOL: :LOL: :p

Circular argument really though and one thing I always try to remember is that not everyone has the same angling preferences or ability. I know a lot of the fishing I do whether on river or commercial is quite noddy like but I enjoy it is the thing that matters.

I'm kind of guessing that the commercial you are referring to is furnace mill...(?). I fished it yesterday for the first time...in fact it's the first commercial I've fished in about 20years...! We had a small club match on one of the lakes and well, i had top weight and actually lost more fish than I landed..! And my views on commercials.....well, nothing much has changed really I think.....the fisheries may have matured, fish stocks and variety might have changed and fish husbandry might be better but they are still basically the same as they were 20 yrs ago.

Furnace mill isn't quite the same in reality as the pictures.....seems a lot smaller and with one lake intertwined with another so that you can see what's happening not only on your lake but the others too, which is a little off putting. Access was ok on one half of our lake but the other half was dominated by a steep slope down to the water...one of our guys nearly didn't stop as he was trying to get his trolley down the bank, good job someone was there to help with the brakes and getting back up was coronary inducing to say the least....!

I still can't really tell you why I don't like fishing commercials though....they demand a different skill set probably as they certainly can be difficult places to master, but just not my thing at all I'm afraid ...much like I could never see myself camped out in a bivvie waiting for a monster carp to come along, so it could well be another 20 yrs until I fish my next one, if I'm still alive that is..!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Which was infinitely more enjoyable than sitting on a commercial all day catching snotrags and test tube fish, like yesterday.
It all depends on how you approach things, a club lake I fish has a stock of F1's not to commercial stocking levels and they are not palm of the hand size, they average about 1.5-2lb with quite a few in the 3-4lb range and the odd one up to around 8lb. Now if I fished a powerful rod and 6lb line it might not be much fun, however with a soft actioned waggler rod, 3lb line and 0.12 hook length they are a different ball game and are great fun

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It all depends on how you approach things, a club lake I fish has a stock of F1's not to commercial stocking levels and they are not palm of the hand size, they average about 1.5-2lb with quite a few in the 3-4lb range and the odd one up to around 8lb. Now if I fished a powerful rod and 6lb line it might not be much fun, however with a soft actioned waggler rod, 3lb line and 0.12 hook length they are a different ball game and are great fun

We did warn him that rod would be rather powerful didn’t we!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Don`t like commercials because the water always seem to look mucky.

Compare the lovely looking fish from clear water to their pale commercial brethren.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm kind of guessing that the commercial you are referring to is furnace mill...(?). I fished it yesterday for the first time...in fact it's the first commercial I've fished in about 20years...! We had a small club match on one of the lakes and well, i had top weight and actually lost more fish than I landed..! And my views on commercials.....well, nothing much has changed really I think.....the fisheries may have matured, fish stocks and variety might have changed and fish husbandry might be better but they are still basically the same as they were 20 yrs ago.

Furnace mill isn't quite the same in reality as the pictures.....seems a lot smaller and with one lake intertwined with another so that you can see what's happening not only on your lake but the others too, which is a little off putting. Access was ok on one half of our lake but the other half was dominated by a steep slope down to the water...one of our guys nearly didn't stop as he was trying to get his trolley down the bank, good job someone was there to help with the brakes and getting back up was coronary inducing to say the least....!

I still can't really tell you why I don't like fishing commercials though....they demand a different skill set probably as they certainly can be difficult places to master, but just not my thing at all I'm afraid ...much like I could never see myself camped out in a bivvie waiting for a monster carp to come along, so it could well be another 20 yrs until I fish my next one, if I'm still alive that is..!

Yeah that's the one mate. I think it is about as good as commercials get for me, although I have a particular way of fishing it, on the feeder on Willow Pool in Winter. Too many small Roach to fish maggot on Furnace Pool. And if you see the size of Willow Pool you will probably think, feeder? But yeah that's what I do in Winter chucking about 15m funny as it might seem.

What I like about it is the fact there are big fish other than Carp in there. Specimen Bream, Roach and Perch according to the blurb and I've had good sized Bream and Perch out of there. The big Roach have eluded me so far but I trust they're in there. Me and my dad had about 80lb of 5lb Bream out of Furnace Pool in the space of 2 hours, hit a big shoal of them!

When I go in Winter there's probably 3 people fishing maximum if there ain't a club match on, so although small, I like the access to it and it keeps bites coming when it's freezing. The only other place I really fish is Bells Mill, again a small place. Call it intimate haha! They're not really for me in summer although I do occasionally fish there. I just prefer commercials in the depths of Winter when they're quieter.

PeteC

Yeah that's the one mate. I think it is about as good as commercials get for me, although I have a particular way of fishing it, on the feeder on Willow Pool in Winter. Too many small Roach to fish maggot on Furnace Pool. And if you see the size of Willow Pool you will probably think, feeder? But yeah that's what I do in Winter chucking about 15m funny as it might seem.

What I like about it is the fact there are big fish other than Carp in there. Specimen Bream, Roach and Perch according to the blurb and I've had good sized Bream and Perch out of there. The big Roach have eluded me so far but I trust they're in there. Me and my dad had about 80lb of 5lb Bream out of Furnace Pool in the space of 2 hours, hit a big shoal of them!

When I go in Winter there's probably 3 people fishing maximum if there ain't a club match on, so although small, I like the access to it and it keeps bites coming when it's freezing. The only other place I really fish is Bells Mill, again a small place. Call it intimate haha! They're not really for me in summer although I do occasionally fish there. I just prefer commercials in the depths of Winter when they're quieter.

I think probably you have somehow hit the nail on the head as far as my view on commercials is concerned.....it's the fact that in reality you could be fishing in each other's pockets as the pegs are so ridiculously close together and really I don't want to be watching everyone else or listening to their conversations......I just want to be in my own little world of tranquility......the fishing probably has very little to do with it at the end of the day .

Sure I enjoy company and the odd competition with my club mates, but to me fishing is more than just catching fish if you know what I mean and whilst furnace mill has a mind boggling variety of fish in the lakes (ponds..?), it still lacks that something that would make me want to return there again anytime soon.